too hot! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I've just recently set up my AVR (Denon 3311ci) Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S570) and XG1100 w/Moome card, and everything Blu is looking good. However, when I went to plug in my cable box (SA 8300), my whites were 5-10 IRE too hot. I swapped out the box for a SA8240, and had the same issue. Today, I traded that in for a Samsung box and still have the same problem. I posted in the cable forum, with no success, so I figured I'd try over here, now that I've tried three boxes and they all look the same.

I just can't understand what the problem might be. Everything is going through the Denon VIA HDMI and I've set it to output 1080i for all inputs (Blu-ray and cable boxes also outputing@ 1080i). Tried the cable boxes straight to the Moome card with the same result. Everything Blu looks fine. What could the issue be? I can't believe it's the cable box now, with all of them acting the same. I even tried adjusting my G2 controls (menu, not pots) and adjusting bright gain or bias doesn't effect the blown out white level, it just lowers the overall light output. Ditto contrast control. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Most cable boxes output RGB not YCbCr not sure how the receiver handles the signal as well. Look to see if you can choose PC level or Video level in the receiver or the Sat box.

This is why i prefer a Dedicated VP over using a receiver as a switcher.

Athanasios
post #3 of 3 Old 09-01-2010, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
there doesn't seem to be any setting on the Sat boxes except aspect ratio and resolution. The AVR does have an option for extended range values, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. As I said originally, it's the same with the signal going straight to the PJ, without the AVR. I can set the BD to RGB or YRB and it doesn't make any difference to the Moome card, so I think it handles both without any problem.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page