Barco 808 Graphic help needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read about CRTs, and being a photographer, I said to my self -how hard can that be? -And bought an 808 Graphic with 9000h on tubes. So far so good.
But now I seem to have more questions, then before I started out in this project.

1. Do i scrap it, and look for a 9" or DLP?

2. Is a 3 meter screenwith pushing it too far (too little light?)

3. Sharpness isn't too overwhelming, eisemann-theater upgrades promise a 200% increase in sharpness and coloration.
Is that worth investing in for the 808 - or would I be better off, start working on a 9"?

4. Individual tubes. Green seems brightest, then red, and then about 50% less light comes out of the blue tube - is that normal? (when I look at the patterns with the dots in the middle)

5. Raster! I looked the manual for this, turned the contrast down, the light up, look into the tube, and it looks nothing like in the manual! See:
Attachment 188304
It's shaped like if you squeezed the straight sides with your fingers, so it's curvy instead of strait - why? And what is what? Where is the "forbidden area"?

6. I have a DVI-VGA box like this:
Attachment 188305
Sitting in port 3 getting current from port next to it. Eisemann told me it's a piece of crap - alright, but what do I do instead then?

Hope you can help me out here! Thanks guys.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 AM

I also own a barco 808, so Let me give some input that I have discovered over the past few months...

1.) At 9000 hours, maybe? Depends how much effort your willing to put into the picture. I have spent many many hours tweaking to get the picture looking as good as I can. Since I got my projector for free, it was worth it all the way, and the image I get out of it is fantastic. If you don't want to put the time into it, then move on...

2.) I am also projecting onto a screen with ~3meter width. It is a bit dim, but if you have a nice light controlled room, and have a nice screen its not bad. The 808 is fairly bright. At that size, nothing is going to blind you without spending lots of money.

3.) Yeah, if you spend lots of time obsessing over the picture, focus it 10 times, adjust the astig 20 times, do the 3X5 card test, and repeat, you can actually get the barco 808 real nice and sharp. It still wont give a crystal clear 1080p due to the 8" tubes, but the 1080i looks fantastic, and has a much closer to film appearance than most digitals. (disclaimer: I am a movie theater projectionist, and have seen LOTS of film and digital) But, if you have the money, a 9" will definitely give you a sharper picture at higher bandwidth resolutions like 1080p.

4.) Does the picture look correctly color balanced? Human eyes percieve the colors at different intensity, so its hard to judge just by looking into the tubes. If the colors are off, look up how to adjust the G2 settings. There are some pots in the back of the projector that are simple to set if you take your time and are careful with the color balance.

5.) First, that is bad! There is a danger zone around the edge of the tube that you never want to shine onto (~1/4"). And, NEVER let it shine off the face of the tube. It looks like the corner is off of the face of the tube, and that is very bad. Make the image smaller, or shift it down so its centered on the raster. The curved sides are okay. When you finish setting it up, and converging the lenses and rasters, you will have different curves of your own. Unlike an LCD, the resolution is not fixed to a specific grid, and thus allows you to project a flat image onto a curved surface, and other fanciness. Being able to curve the sides allows you to adjust the keystone without loosing any video information unlike LCD projectors.

6.) If you have a card in port 3 (I did not) then you can make a special cable for vga to plug into it. Its cheap and easy to do. Then you can plug in your computer to it if you have a VGA connection. If your computer has a DVI-I port, then any adapter will work fine to power it. If you want to use port 5 (the 5 BNC cables) then you will have to get fancy on the software on your computer, or buy something that inverts the sync. (Google will turn up lots of discussion on sync inversion for Barco)

For CRT projectors, there is a WONDERFUL website with tutorials on how to do all of this, and with specific information about the Barco 808. www.curtpalme.com Surf that site, and real ALL the setup guides a few times, then try to get a good install and convergence. Then read them again and redo the setup. Since you are a novice it will not be perfect the first few times, but it will get better the more times you do it, and the more time you spend doing it.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Looks like you have LC lenses. Does the Green tube ever turn completely off ?
post #4 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply!

Is there a guide, on how to actually adjust those raster, so they stay in place!?

And no, the green doesn't shut off.

BUT the remote worked when I bought the thing. We took it down, and put it back up again at my place - now it does not work?
Fresh batts in remote, red diode in remote flashes, IR eye cleaned, board in tray been in and out, still doesn't work - what's wrong??
post #5 of 12 Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Solved the Remote problem, hit upper left "missing" key and hit the no. shown.

How about this croshair install problem then? Left-Right the red Can be pivoet inn to match the green.
But the blue one is too high, see my attachment.
What's wrong here??
LL
post #6 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Ile
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you open all four bolts you should be able to move tube also some amount vertically, sometimes it could be bit stuck. If it moves vertically but not enough, you have it maxed out. So your raster is not properly centered vertically, use electronic adjustment from vertical board trim pots.
http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout3.shtm
Before that set raster centering to 50.
There is also pots for horizontal direction.
http://www.curtpalme.com/Barco808_Layout2.shtm

Raster can also be centered from menu, but it's good to make coarce adjustment from pots.

About installation menu, it's needed only if you don't have source connected when doing mechanical adjustment. Adjustments done there doesn't affect in any actual memory block, so it seems that they don't stay in memory.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Strange.. I had all four bolts loose, not out, but loose, and swung myself in the lens, but it didn't move a millimeter vertically! Are you sure it is possible to move it vertically, because then I will try it again tomorrow! As I remember, it looks fastened in a way, so it can't move vertically!? There really would be no use to anyways (except now)
And I have hit the return to midpoint option by the way...
post #8 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing - firmware!
I have ver. 6.10
And my freind has 6.30 is it possible to update, and does it have any use to do so?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dude, read the links that Ile gave you above. The lenses do not pivot vertically, that`s done electronically.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #10 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

How do I set raster to 50, so they stay 50 in the block I run 720p on.
And how about firmware update?
post #11 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Ile
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
When 720p is running go to random access genlocked pattern and select convergence and set R/B center zones to 50/50. Then adjust center zones from potentiometers as close you can and then fine tune with convergence.

Random access menu is most usefull menu in Barco, it's only menu that you need to setup projector with source connected. Guided menu have all the same adjustment, but you can't jump back and forth between adjustments so it's needed to run many times before all are fine.

Firmware can be updated by chancing chip to controller board, but it's probably only for convergence camera or something other useless crap...
post #12 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Cool thanks man!!
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page