A Huge thanks to Craig CIR-Engineering, Mike Parker, and MOOME! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let me start this off by saying boy has it been a LONG three days now. I have been in that room for so long tweaking, I am dizzy and I mean DIZZY. The result though, is so WELL worth the reward I have NEVER been happier with my setup since it was well, setup.

I've made some changes to my system to remove the Pioneer Elite I was using and switch to an Audyssey enabled pre amp. I've got a dedicated ATI 1800 7 channel amp and the Pioneer is a receiver so I wanted something as well to match up better with the ATI more appropriately. Here is what I picked up:

Onkyo PR-SC885

I'll tell you this thing is smoking audio wise. My SACD and DVD-A Collection has NEVER sounded better and the Cinema performance is exceptional. Truly pro grade. It's upgradeable as well to the Audyssey pro eq but to be honest I'm perfectly happy with what comes with it and dont see the need to upgrade.

I've also been blessed with a high bandwidth modified Marquee switcher from Mike Parker to replace the NEC ISS switcher I was using before and boy what a difference it makes and I mean HUGE difference. THANKS SO MUCH MIKE. This thing is spitting out 120hz to my G90's and not even thinking about breaking a sweat. Too cool. Its truly a special piece of equipment and has been instrumental to giving the G90's the ability to display high bandwidth (more on this later).

I've paired the Marquee switcher with Moome's latest V3 EXT as well as a Lumagen Radiance (THANK YOU ALAN!) and while there is a couple small bugs to be worked out with it, I'll tell ya, this is by far a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement over what I had before as well and not to mention I even have 3D Games and Movies up and running!!!!!!!!! Moome, you have out done yourself this time! FANTASTIC JOB!

Now to Craig,

I had absolutely no Radiance experience and made an appointment with Craig to come down last Thursday evening and help to install the Radiance in the system and Recalibrate the projectors. I have to admit, I am SHOCKED at Craig's knowledge of the G90, The Radiance, and as well as his Calibration experience. This guy is NO JOKE I'll tell ya and his equipment is THE BEST. He really knows his stuff big time. Craig, thanks so much for helping me get my G90's to look absolutely STUNNING. I'm scared what is going to happen when I put in new tubes this summer.

While there are some small issues to be worked out with the 3D I'll tell ya on the stack, it's pretty damn sweet. I cant wait to see it tweaked to perfection when Craig gets all the details worked out with Lumagen and Moome. Oh, and that Radiance is something to behold. What an extremely awesome piece of work. Any G90 owner should have a Radiance in their setup!

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!

Cliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Any CRT owner should have a radiance in thier set up

Athanasios
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Athanasios

Damn skippy! This thing is no joke. The banding I had before is now gone and what a difference. A whole new level on so many different levels.

Holy gamma curve Batman is all I can say and FINALLY my CRT's are behaving exactly as they should. Now just have to get those new tubes installed and bust out the Marquee c elements and I'm good to go.

Cliffy
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cliff, whats your opinion of the 3d? Is it worth it to you to lose the overall brightness? Can you get enough lumens out of crts? Honestly, I did not know this was practical but good for you anyway.

I saw a 50" Samsung flat panel 3d with shutter glasses showing at Sams club the other day and I thought it was awesome. I'm going to buy a 3d flat panel for my living room but I still can't decide whether to get it in plasma or LCD. I had not even considered trying to get 3d into my theater and just figured it was out of the question unless I went to digital projection.

The other thing that is troubling me a little is the general lack of 3d material so far. One hopes that the 3d movies will pick up as time goes on but personally I think the movie houses are making a big mistake raising the prices on 3d tickets already. IMO they should not be so greedy and wait until it becomes more popular. Or they just might kill 3d before it gets started.

Bob
Old 02-13-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Nice to hear its all coming together for you Cliffy..
Cant wait to See some Screen shots with your latest 2.0 setup especially once you install the new Tubes & C elements..

Your Onkyo 885 is Audyssey Pro Ready so If you know anyone who has the Audyssey
Pro Calibration Kit that you could lend its well worth using it to get the most out of the Pre-Pro..

Cheers...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
Cliff, whats your opinion of the 3d? Is it worth it to you to lose the overall brightness? Can you get enough lumens out of crts? Honestly, I did not know this was practical but good for you anyway.

I saw a 50" Samsung flat panel 3d with shutter glasses showing at Sams club the other day and I thought it was awesome. I'm going to buy a 3d flat panel for my living room but I still can't decide whether to get it in plasma or LCD. I had not even considered trying to get 3d into my theater and just figured it was out of the question unless I went to digital projection.

The other thing that is troubling me a little is the general lack of 3d material so far. One hopes that the 3d movies will pick up as time goes on but personally I think the movie houses are making a big mistake raising the prices on 3d tickets already. IMO they should not be so greedy and wait until it becomes more popular. Or they just might kill 3d before it gets started.
There are some ghosting issues that need to be worked out but for the most part it works very well. On the stack the brightness is dropping roughly in half so the output is like having a single G90 but still I like it!

I'm going to pick up a few movies today but you are right, not a whole lot of content right now, hopefully that will change. Also the price of roughly 40 bucks per movie is a bit steep and the glasses are expensive as well. Hopefully in the future the price will come down.

Cliff
Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Athanasios

Guess it would work wonders on my Sony KP7222. Or the BV600s, or the Sony 1001.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Guess it would work wonders on my Sony KP7222. Or the BV600s, or the Sony 1001.

For Color calibration and gamma at 21 points? yes ! lol

Smart azz

Athanasios
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

For Color calibration and gamma at 21 points? yes ! lol

Smart azz