Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like I said in an above post, don't rely on "4 or 5" people to base your decision...wait for many to buy it, they will come in and talk about it.
Then perhaps you'll do as you see fit.
Until then, I agree, go your own way...for someone so damn smart you're very clueless, when it comes to dealing with other people.
I'd also assume that since your giving out info on how to mount a projector, that you took yours down and remounted it correctly the second time, after speaking with me on the phone about that???
I would hope so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Kal,
I used to use a combo of DVD software players and now have scaled down to just TheaterTek. I use Windows XP Pro as my OS and therefore the driver I am using is the 6025 version on a modified Built By Radeon 7500. Seems to work the best with TT. I do not use any gamma boost in the ATI driver as the mod actually brightens the picture on my PJ. I have the gamma set to 81 via TT settings. I hope this helps.
Dan

The Fred Sanford of Home Theater.
post #183 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:12 PM

Is it common for AVS Special Members to deface other people on the forum? I thought we were above that. Especially the name calling and face judgment.

KennyG - why do you constantly play the devil's advocate when you see my advice? Especially when it's correct. There's absolutely no point in it. I certainly do not do that to you. When I disagree with you, I pose questions and scenarios; you on the other hand are trigger-happy and ridicule without substance.

Everyone has trouble mounting their first projector. I did. Don't you remember when I thanked you for helping me? After you make adjustments and start to experiment, you quickly begin to learn the concepts and ideas behind how it's positioned and what effects it has on the screen. I'll gladly share this information.

I still respect you, KennyG, regardless of how you treat me. I know you're just edgy sometimes - I can look past that.
post #184 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I will say this...you Doug, are a first for me, I've never delt like this with anyone before.
I simply see it one way, at some time you're going to get someone hurt or cause someone to screw up their projector. The other problem is this...we don't care what you think, but to come in here and talk about Mike's hard work like it's some "fly-by-night snake oil is a bunch of crap.
It's obvious Mike has spent alot of time on this, and he deserves a certain amount of respect for it.
Your needling is pure...BS...to put it nicely.
Point is this, if your not comfortable with the beta testers, then just leave it alone...as YOU said, go your own way on this one.
No one need prove anything to you...you have the right to vote with your wallet, so leave it at that.
post #185 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by douglas.hanks
Is it common for AVS Special Members to deface other people on the forum? I thought we were above that. Especially the name calling and face judgment.
Only when they consistently make an a** of themselves. On this thread alone you have insulted several members. You need to learn some manners and etiquette. Perhaps if you weren't so confrontational you would get some respect. A classic example is a thread you just posted entitled "NECs suck at holding convergence". Instead of asking a simple question about what could be the problem you immediately assume you are the expert and since your projector can't hold convergence all NEC's must suck. You are so arrogant you never consider that it could be your setup. For the record, I have an XG110 and the convergence is nearly spot on as soon as I turn it on and is fully warmed up in about 15-20 minutes.
post #186 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KennyG
I will say this...you Doug, are a first for me, I've never delt like this with anyone before.
I simply see it one way, at some time you're going to get someone hurt or cause someone to screw up their projector. The other problem is this...we don't care what you think, but to come in here and talk about Mike's hard work like it's some "fly-by-night snake oil is a bunch of crap.
It's obvious Mike has spent alot of time on this, and he deserves a certain amount of respect for it.
Your needling is pure...BS...to put it nicely.
Point is this, if your not comfortable with the beta testers, then just leave it alone...as YOU said, go your own way on this one.
No one need prove anything to you...you have the right to vote with your wallet, so leave it at that.
I never said his hard work was without merit and I certainly never said it was snake oil or fly by night.

I only asked two questions.

Can you not see this?
post #187 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GScott

Only when they consistently make an a** of themselves. On this thread alone you have insulted several members. You need to learn some manners and etiquette. Perhaps if you weren't so confrontational you would get some respect. A classic example is a thread you just posted entitled "NECs suck at holding convergence". Instead of asking a simple question about what could be the problem you immediately assume you are the expert and since your projector can't hold convergence all NEC's must suck. You are so arrogant you never consider that it could be your setup. For the record, I have an XG110 and the convergence is nearly spot on as soon as I turn it on and is fully warmed up in about 15-20 minutes.
If you're an Advanced Member, why are you posting a reply to my other thread in this one? Isn't that off topic?

BTW, if anything about my setup is wrong - you can tell me. I won't call you names.
post #188 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 12:59 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
<...Fevereshly trying to keep this thread on topic so that it doesn't get yanked...> :)

Quote:
Originally posted by DIZ2
I used to use a combo of DVD software players and now have scaled down to just TheaterTek. I use Windows XP Pro as my OS and therefore the driver I am using is the 6025 version on a modified Built By Radeon 7500. Seems to work the best with TT. I do not use any gamma boost in the ATI driver as the mod actually brightens the picture on my PJ. I have the gamma set to 81 via TT settings. I hope this helps.
Thanks Dan! Yup! It helps! You have what is basically considered the best HTPC components going and you're using all the std settings. Good stuff.

81 gamma for the 6025 drivers is the Cliff Watson recommended setting and is what I use as well (though I'm still on Win98 so the values are slightly different).

I love how gamma settings like this are able to pull information out of the darkness without affecting black level - I was curious if Mike's Radeon mod was helping this 'pulling out' at all at lower IRE levels ...

Kal
post #189 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Ok. My turn to jump in. I have seen this flame war go on TOO long.

CAN WE CALL A TRUCE? IF NOT A TRUCE, CAN EVERYBODY AGREE TO DISAGREE? Doug, you have said some very offensive things here. Some people have said offensive things to you. There will be a point in time where the moderator will put an end to this AND WE WILL ALL LOSE OUT.

I just want to know about the modded radeon card. Last I heard was July 7. We should know then. I am unclear as to whether we send in our "core" for modding or is this an exchange basis? I understand that at some point in time we should know more about this via Mike Parker's website. Can we get back to the topic?

Ok, I am off the soap box.

-Garrick

There is always too much month left at the end of the money.
post #190 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 01:03 PM

Sounds like a good idea, glankford. All I am after is information, too; but apparently I have pissed off some people in trying to get that.

As I said before, I still respect the members on here. I'm not about character defacing.

Maybe I'll try and tone down my questions.
post #191 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the gamma setting you're talking about exclusive to TT? Or is it a Powerstrip or PowerDVD setting? With my new pj I am finding flaws in my setup that I never could see with my previous setup. Especially background noise in the image. I removed the filters on my old ELSA card, but never did it to the ATI since my system couldn't resolve the differences. Now that I have an 8" CRT, I am thinking of using Kal's directions for the Radeon. Specifically I like the sound of "gamma settings like this are able to pull information out of the darkness without affecting black level." I am curious as to what I should be doing about this.

As for Doug, that sounds like a great idea to me. Doug, you been helping me in a mounting thread, and have had some good info. Again, it is just the way you come off sometimes and the way you sound. I think everyone can get along and have fun together if we all show each other a little respect.

Thanks a million...Good luck...Let us know... Whichever is appropriate this time! jmwj03 at hotmail dot com
post #192 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I'm back on topic myself...sorry...somewhat :)
post #193 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 01:40 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Wilson
Is the gamma setting you're talking about exclusive to TT? Or is it a Powerstrip or PowerDVD setting? With my new pj I am finding flaws in my setup that I never could see with my previous setup. Especially background noise in the image. I removed the filters on my old ELSA card, but never did it to the ATI since my system couldn't resolve the differences. Now that I have an 8" CRT, I am thinking of using Kal's directions for the Radeon. Specifically I like the sound of "gamma settings like this are able to pull information out of the darkness without affecting black level." I am curious as to what I should be doing about this.
Jay - Gamma settings are video card driver dependent. Your old ELSA card was based on the GeForce line of video processors - NVidia never used to have gamma adjustments in their drivers.

I also used to have a GeForce2 card and I found that I'd often lose information in the background. As soon as I upgraded to an ATI Radeon and installed their drivers, the gamma adjustment became available in DisplayProperties -> Settings -> Advanced.

TheaterTek simply mirrors the video controls into the application itself - you don't need TheaterTek to have gamma. With an Nvidia card, the gamma slider's missing in TheaterTek.

The purists might argue that gamma's 'incorrect' or 'disturbs the directors intent' but many of us relaly enjoy what it brings out in the image. I know that Bjoern Roy (resident videophile) doesn't use it on his NEC XG110LC.

How much gamma boost ou use is also a personal choice. There's no 'correct' setting really (like for brightness/contrast). There are recommended gamma settings though - like the ones used in TheaterTek (if you have a Radeon card).

Kal
post #194 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by douglas.hanks

These CRT experts have spent so much time on here, they're even more arrogant than myself. They've come to rely on their popularity and social approval when they speak. No one dares challenge them, because he's probably helped you in the past. When someone does (me), it's a blasphemy because you people uphold him so highly.

All I have asked for is

1) what is he filtering besides the ever so ambigious 'noise'
2) can we all get some close-up screenshots of the added detail

Hey, if this is too ****ing much to handle, let me know. I'll back off and go my own way.

Just because KennyG and like 4 or 5 others have seen it in action doesn't mean I'll believe it. Your all strangers to me. All I want to be able to do is make a logical decision myself. I'm sure others feel the same way. Besides, even if I did know you, it always makes me feel weird and uncertain always basing my purchasing habits on what other people say. Always makes me think, why I can't buy something based on what I say?

actually doug, mike p. and others on this forum don't rely on their popularity and social approval. they rely on their demonstrated abilities. the same way most professionals do. mike and tim and chuck and the rest have many years advancing this hobby and getting paid for it. if your not good at what you do, this forum would tear you up quickly. you are a case in point. No one cares what you believe. The observations about the mod are posted for the edification of the members. take them or leave them. you and others will have to make your logical decisions based on the info available.

answer to question 1: mike chooses not to answer you. so do the others who know the answer. period. maybe you will get an answer later, maybe not. no reason to insult people because they decide not to answer you.

answer to question 2: as long as i have known mike he never takes screen shots. i think he just doesn't care to. i don't think he cares much how many of these he sells, really. he truly just loves playing with his electronics. this a side thing for him and was probably pushed more into selling these by those around him than his own desire to do it. i have never taken screen shots either. just don't want to figure it out and don't care to. maybe when they get out, someone will take good screenshots and post them. until then, you'll be out of luck. it's not really to much to handle, it's just that those who can handle it don't want to. I know what mike is filtering and pretty much how he does it, and i also could take nice screenshots with my nikon 995. just don't want to. there, your two questions are answered, again. this should hold you over till they hit the streets. now you can take your marbles and go home.
post #195 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 05:18 PM

Sorry James Bond, but you've already missed the flame war.

Thank you for your "Advanced Member" professional response though. I will file it appropiately.

FYI: When someone asks what the filter is filtering, it doesn't mean they do not know what they're talking about, but perhaps know what they're after need a better understanding.

HTH HAND.
post #196 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 09:14 PM

i didn't say you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to filtering, i said you are not going to get a better understanding. i didn't miss the flame war, i chose not to enter it. i am a highly decorated veteran of the flame wars around here. you seem green. oh damn it, there i go.

btw, if i don't go away this weekend, i will probably be able to make it to mikes and hopefully pick up a new version of the card then. i will post my impressions, although i could probably already write it before i see it. more of the same good thing.
post #197 of 241 Old 07-02-2002, 10:11 PM

flame wars are fun, kinda. i will 0wn u!

Look forward to your review, Bond.
post #198 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
douglas,
one of the attendees on this Saturday wants to get some screen shots for you. I've agreed with this only because you have begun to show some humility. I would like to make it clear that IF the screen shots do not properly represent what we've experienced, I won't post them. Actually I tried taking screen shots before, but was not pleased with the end results.
Maybe his camera will do better, we'll see!

Also, you asked the question of "what is it I'm filtering" answer: VIDEO
That's it, that's what I'm filtering, how It's being done I can't discuss that now, and would really appreciate it if you' just respect that.

I've noticed that you've been on the forum for awhile, and there are many who visit this forum (CRT), but you would have to understand that there is a community (culture) on this particular forum. First as an electronic resident of this community I would like to extend a warm welcome to you, but would also ask that you come to understand and respect the culture that is already in place here, this forum offers a serious free service for us and many others. We sometimes brush each other wrong, but we tend to keep the big picture in mind over our own personal wants and desires. What I'm trying to say here is that this forum (CRT) is our community, it's a part of our lives, we are protectors by nature, so I hope this explains the intolerance you've experienced...

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #199 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Doug and humility? You should have been in here late last night.
When everyone was gone he decides to "bait" me with a completely false post in someone elses thread. Then he comes into the thread laughing about how he "got me" and the thread owner should "completely disreguard his previous post" as he was out to get me, not provide accurate info. How's that for turning over a new leaf?
Lucky for both of us my blow-up and his stupidity were removed for the poor guys thread by this mourning.
post #200 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Mike.

Still haven't gotten over that, KennyG? :) No hard feelings.
post #201 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 12:25 PM
MSK

To Mr.Parker

I dont know if you all ready know, that there are alot of overseas people in here from time to time, where do they stand in getting their hands on a MP modded radeon? if these babies deliver, even half the performance posted in here, believe me ppl will pay whatever to get one, so when can we get one?

Best regards MSK
post #202 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 09:20 PM

Mike,

On Sunday, is it in this thread we will find the information on your mod or is it at 'http://www.wisdomsound.com'?

/John
post #203 of 241 Old 07-03-2002, 11:02 PM

@MSK: You`re right!Hope it will be not too much and think we have to buy a new moded card in US because the shipping is as expensive as the -for example 7500 - card itself plus little trouble with the custom.....:confused: Regards Jürgen
post #204 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

We're looking at ways of making it available overseas as well. I'll have to send one to Bjorn Roy (Germany), so that'll let me know what it's like to ship overseas.

The Sunday announcement will be on THIS forum. It may or may not link to the web page on this Sunday, but the web page will post pictures and descriptions of the device plus other info. It's a different web page, it's not yet pubished.

post #205 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 03:27 AM

That is good news!Thanks ,Mike.I `m very interested on Björns opinion:D regards Jürgen
post #206 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops, I spelled his name wrong (sorry, I'll edit).

How do you guys get those cool little dots in your name :) ?

post #207 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Mike,

on a german keyboard, we've got the ö, ä and ü as standard keys. You can probably also insert them as a special key.

If there is ANY way to visualize the differences of the card with screenshots, i will be the one to pull that off. I have the equipment and did manage to show even the most meticulous differences before.

At least for any increased detail or tightness in the picture. It will be quite difficult to capture lower noise floor of the card, since quite long exposures are needed that will level out noise.

We will see.

Regards
Bjoern

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Videophile.info (HD and DVD reviews, SPL measurements, my HT in action...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide
post #208 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 08:45 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to see Bjoern's screenshots... he's taken some excellent closeups to show how Superbit dvd's excel in sharpness...

Cømplëtëly öff töpìç...

Yøü dön't nëêd å spëçìal kêybøärd tô gët thësê spêçïäl çhåräctërs. Sïmplÿ hôld döwn thê ÅLT këÿ whïlê yøü tÿpe ïn ä 3-dìgìt nümbër üsïng thë nümëriç kêypåd tø the rìght (thë rêgülar nümbêr këÿs åbøvê thë lëttêrs wôn't wørk).

Examples:

Alt-065 = A

Alt-129 = ü
Alt-130 = é
Alt-131 = â
Alt-132 = ä
Alt-133 = Ã*
Alt-134 = å
Alt-135 = ç
Alt-136 = ê
Alt-137 = ë
Alt-138 = è
Alt-139 = ï
Alt-140 = î
Alt-141 = ì
Alt-142 = Ä
Alt-143 = Ã…
Alt-144 = É
Alt-145 = æ
Alt-146 = Æ
Alt-147 = ô
Alt-148 = ö
Alt-149 = ò
Alt-150 = û
Alt-151 = ù
Alt-152 = ÿ
Alt-153 = Ö
Alt-154 = Ü
Alt-155 = ø

Käl
post #209 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 09:04 AM
kcl
AVS Club Gold

Showoff. :D

Ken
post #210 of 241 Old 07-04-2002, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

No doubt, if anyone can get screen shots it will be Bjoern. Always very interesting.

Last night was the best night of HT'ing I've had since the NEC left.
It's the first night I didn't want to tweek or change anything, or didn't wish something looked different.
I suppose that means I'm getting very close...I can tell you one thing...I'm not going to like removing this Mod'ed card from my system...but, even that will add to the review, there are times "you don't know what you've got til it's gone" :)
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page