Goodbye - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well today I sold my pride and joy Sony G90. I enjoyed this projector for many years and before that my Vision One. The time has come to move over to digital 100% (I have had many of the JVC DILA projectors concurrent to CRT). Its been a good run, but given the cost of repair if needed, correct mounting and setup it just wasnt an investment I could justify anymore. I have learned alot about projection technology from you all and thank you for support over the years.

Jim

Jim Parys

is Living the dream...

La Sirena III Theater

JVC DILA-RS95

Panamorph UH-480/ATH1 Anamorphic Lens

Stewart Ultramat 200, 120", 2.0 Gain, 16x9 Aspec Screen (Motorized)

SI Black Diamond Zero Edge G2, 144", 1.4 Gain, 2:35 Aspec)

Yamaha...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
if your paying someone to calibrate and repair a CRT then I couldn't see justifying that cost anymore either. Only the serious hobbyist/enthusiasts left anymore who are doing that.
Good luck with your new gear, hopefully it's cheaper in the long run if you can avoid the "replace every year for a better one" merry-go-round. Audio-philia is already famous for this

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #3 of 39 Old 08-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I would like to publicly thank Jim for his hospitality. I promised to give his G90 a good home and - to be honest - I think I saw a tear in Jim's eye as we loaded his G90 into my SUV.

Jim's home, family and thater are all first class. If anyone is considering buying anything from Jim - I can tell you he is an honest seller and delivers what he promises.

The G90 was sucessfuly installed on the ceiling of my home theater less than 8 hours after picking it up in San Diego. I am watching HDTV on it right now.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of William from the CRT forum. If I recall correctly - he was a master at setting up G90's and lived in Southern California.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Suski
post #4 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Craig Rounds is also a G90 expert and along with Mike Parker have come up with some upgrades.

Cir Engineering is his screen name.

Athanasios
post #5 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So Long,

I was sad to part with my G70, I can only imagine the loss of a G90.

It's like having to put the dog down.

-Brian

Edit Ed his user name is wm and last I knew he lives in Palo alto. (I bought a remote for a 1271 from him at his home years ago. )
post #6 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM

I am sitting at the same crossroads but if you changed with a G90 then I wonder about myself. My G70 is still up and functioning well after 10 years of my ownership (3rd or 4th owner) but replacement with a digital seems inevitable within a year. I love the smooth screen with zero screen door but I can clearly see I am missing the full resolution. At least you were able to give your G90 a good home. I will be more upset if I have to junk the G70.
post #7 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
wm is Williams Phelps. He calibrated our 9500LC about ten years or so ago. He was the MAN at that time. I googled him last week and didn't find anything recent so I suspect he's no longer in the game.

I'm also considering going digital within the next year.
post #8 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Everyone's going digital...except for me. I just got a NEC XG-75, my first projector, a few days ago. I'll probably just retube it or replace it with a higher-end CRT projector when that time comes, barring some major breakthrough in digital projection. (Multisync anyone?)

Glad to hear the G90 went to a good home though. It disgusts me when I see YouTube videos of people destroying perfectly good equipment, even if usable only for parts.
post #9 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

My NEC 10pg'S image collapsed into itself last week. I was always astounded by the depth of image with this unit. I'll have to replace my screen as well, as I believe digital's don't play well with torus screens (i believe about a 9 gain).
The only digital's i'm currently interested in are the LED's
post #10 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

I am sitting at the same crossroads but if you changed with a G90 then I wonder about myself. My G70 is still up and functioning well after 10 years of my ownership (3rd or 4th owner) but replacement with a digital seems inevitable within a year. I love the smooth screen with zero screen door but I can clearly see I am missing the full resolution. At least you were able to give your G90 a good home. I will be more upset if I have to junk the G70.

so whatever happened with the final set-up, last thing you posted was
Quote:

Moome FullHD v1 card has arrived and been installed, thank you jcwhite57. I only did a quick test as I only have a 3' HDMI cable so I had to hold the BR player in the air to test it. Full length cable and Lumagen should be here by Monday.

Did you dial it all in with a proper resolution and refresh rate?

post #11 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

so whatever happened with the final set-up, last thing you posted was

Did you dial it all in with a proper resolution and refresh rate?

Um, I did in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237349 and you responded in it. I have been hanging on and waiting but the end seems nearer. I would really like bigger, brighter, and full resolution and there is no way my wife will let me get a 9" CRT. However with all the issues the JVCs have been having I might have to waiting until Sept 2013.
post #12 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think William Phelps is doing this anymore. There are a couple of calibrators in So Cal, but I am not sure if they are doing CRTs.

If you want to go digital, then there should be some decent options come Cedia.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #13 of 39 Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I don't think William Phelps is doing this anymore. There are a couple of calibrators in So Cal, but I am not sure if they are doing CRTs.

If you want to go digital, then there should be some decent options come Cedia.

Pretty ironic to recommend digitals to someone inheriting the G-90 subject of this thread.

Since I have departed with my Marquee 8111+ time for me to move on as well and unsubscribe from CRT forum.

I also truly appreciated all the support received through the years from both experienced hobbiests and pros. What a wonderful resource it was for me and a great theater experience.
post #14 of 39 Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph,
What is ironic? I thought the subject of this thread was the OP going digital. My personal opinion is if you have a good CRT (8"LC or 9") that is working fine, then you should stand pat. If your CRT is breaking down or it is a lower end model or you had to uninstall and don't feel like reinstalling it, then digital does give a good picture these days.

post #15 of 39 Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Ralph,
What is ironic? I thought the subject of this thread was the OP going digital. .

The irony is in recommending the poster (not OP) who just bought the g90 going digital when he couldn't locate his recollected calibrator/set up man
post #16 of 39 Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 AM
WGK

I bought 2 NEC 1352's from the Final AVS power buy several years ago. I never understood all of the complaints about the NEC XG's being too complicated to set up. I learned what all of the adjustments did (thanks to this very forum and the helpful people that took the time to share their experience with others). I never had a problem with the setup process. Once it was setup properly it needs only minor touch-up now and then.

When HDTV began regular broadcasting, I recall showing off the system with Jay Leno Tonight Show clips I had recorded with a Haupauge HD card. Friends and relatives were amazed.

I have 5536 hours on the original tubes and the green shows some light 16:9 wear. The second unit is still new in the box but the glycol has leaked from the blue tube.

If some new projector technology becomes available that is significantly better than what I have now, I don't owe any allegiance to CRT's and I will make the switch.

But for now, it still looks great and costs me nothing more than I already spent 10 years ago.

I enjoy the ability to use a 48 Hz frame rate for film. The slight flicker is reminiscent of the days when I would actually go to a theater and watch real film movies.

No rainbows, motion artifacts, true black, mine has been extremely reliable. I can easily go for several more years with this setup but when the time comes, it will be sitting at the curb with the recycling bin.

My thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge to all of the rest of us.

Bill K
post #17 of 39 Old 08-11-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
While there's no question that CRT is almost dead in the water save for the die hards, I am amazed weekly with the amount of CRTs still out there in people's homes that I am only hearing about for the first time now.

There are literally dozens of sets in the Vancouver area. THey are slowly being pulled out, but I ran across three in the last 2 weeks that I didn't even know existed. One got pulled out, one got repaired, and one needed an alignment.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #18 of 39 Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post
The irony is in recommending the poster (not OP) who just bought the g90 going digital when he couldn't locate his recollected calibrator/set up man
You misinterpreted. I was responding to the people who are thinking of going digital not the Ed.

post #19 of 39 Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I suppose I'll have to go digital when my NEC 1352 dies, but it's still going strong after 10 years, and should be good for several more. At no time do I wish for a "better" picture from digital.
post #20 of 39 Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
I suppose I'll have to go digital when my NEC 1352 dies, but it's still going strong after 10 years, and should be good for several more. At no time do I wish for a "better" picture from digital.
Heck, I'm the same way, and I just got a NEC XG-750, my first CRT projector. I would have loved to "save" a good CRT projector from someone on here parting ways with theirs, but unfortunately nobody on here seems to live anywhere near me. I've read that NEC XGs are perhaps the most complicated projectors to set up, but I didn't find it too bad (minus the time required). Maybe I have too much patience. The only thing I worry about is that with everyone going digital, who will be left to provide support and advice when problems arise?
post #21 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Um, I did in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237349 and you responded in it. I have been hanging on and waiting but the end seems nearer. I would really like bigger, brighter, and full resolution and there is no way my wife will let me get a 9" CRT. However with all the issues the JVCs have been having I might have to waiting until Sept 2013.

oops, I forgot you finished that off in a different thread.
If you really feel like your missing a lot then you will simply have to try something else. Brighter and fill resolution yes, but be prepared for some new problems you didn't have before like JJJJJuder instead of smooth pans and gray blacks.
It's all give and take, when your tubes are used up it's probably time to move on.

post #22 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

oops, I forgot you finished that off in a different thread.
If you really feel like your missing a lot then you will simply have to try something else. Brighter and fill resolution yes, but be prepared for some new problems you didn't have before like JJJJJuder instead of smooth pans and gray blacks.

Okay, I know this thread is about something else but can I ask a question? At the setting I use of 1920x1080p@48Hz I see serious trailing, double image on pans. Stars either turn into doubles or create a meteor streak and images show ghosting while in motion. I really don't see my LED LCD TV as having worse motion blur. Is that because of the bat cave (so my eyes are somewhat dark adapted) and the phosphor just doesn't decay fast enough? Maybe my Lumagen HDP is not quite set right? Obviously pausing the image makes that all disappear.
post #23 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
William Phelps, wasn't that the go-to-guy for early D-ILA, din't he even work/consult for JVC?
post #24 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gleave View Post

My NEC 10pg'S image collapsed into itself last week. I was always astounded by the depth of image with this unit. I'll have to replace my screen as well, as I believe digital's don't play well with torus screens (i believe about a 9 gain).
The only digital's i'm currently interested in are the LED's

Depends on the lens, there are some digitals that play very well with Torus screens, though most may be high-end, like the 9" CRTs used to be. Ask Peter (Cineramax) over at the 20K+ section, he's done a number of Torus screens over the past few years, not high gain though, but the focussing issues remain the same.
post #25 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Okay, I know this thread is about something else but can I ask a question? At the setting I use of 1920x1080p@48Hz I see serious trailing, double image on pans. Stars either turn into doubles or create a meteor streak and images show ghosting while in motion. I really don't see my LED LCD TV as having worse motion blur. Is that because of the bat cave (so my eyes are somewhat dark adapted) and the phosphor just doesn't decay fast enough? Maybe my Lumagen HDP is not quite set right? Obviously pausing the image makes that all disappear.

Do you have the it set for film or video? Its in the input menu, cntrl,dein, try the different modes. But exit out of the menu as it does introduce judder and suck while its being displayed.

Athanasios
post #26 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Depends on the lens, there are some digitals that play very well with Torus screens, though most may be high-end, like the 9" CRTs used to be. Ask Peter (Cineramax) over at the 20K+ section, he's done a number of Torus screens over the past few years, not high gain though, but the focussing issues remain the same.

I am not sure Peter is doing anything special with Torus. The best thing that could happen is someone coming out with a VP incorporating the Geo Tahoe or the like.

post #27 of 39 Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CRT still gives the best picture quality.

If you have ever seen a picture from a BR909 or Sony G90 you will never change that setup.

I have seen lots of digital crap till now from TV's to projectors. Nothing can compare to a BR909. Every time i screen a movie in my home theater my thoughts are the same. CRT 4 ever !!!!!

ElTopo

9 inch CRT
post #28 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that because of the bat cave (so my eyes are somewhat dark adapted) and the phosphor just doesn't decay fast enough?

no absolutely not. CRT is still the best display device for showing motion.

Quote:

Maybe my Lumagen HDP is not quite set right? Obviously pausing the image makes that all disappear.

easy enough to test, what happens when the BD player goes straight to the moome card? I've never seen what your describing, it's likely a processor issue.

post #29 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Well I have tried every setting on the HDP (found Auto1 to be the best) and I also went straight into the Moome card. There is some ghosting on pans, just like every other CRT I have ever seen, including the one I am typing this on for zero lag gaming. The edge ghosting looks exactly like 3D ghosting. Panning across a star field or a dark image with lights, I see a double image of the stars or lights. For a very specific scene, in POTC: At World's End Chapter 20?, where Barbosa, Elizabeth, and Jack are walking on the little piece of sand to meet Will, Davy Jones, and the other guy, there is a pan to the left from behind Will, et. al. and I can see the ghost outline of their coats as it pans.

I just haven't seen a digital display do any worse on motion but I haven't seen too many so maybe I don't have the experience of just how bad it can get. Or the issue is actually me and I am seeing something that technically isn't there. I'll have to try to capture an image of it some time.
post #30 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

the only problems I have ever seen with CRt had to do with either scaling artifacts or 24FPS film to 60hz conversion. Neither of these had anything to do with the CRT of course.
I have never seen anyone here talk about ghosting unless it was a cable issue or there was something actually wrong with the CRT (streaking). I think you should post this topic here and see if Craig Rounds responds. If he says that all CRT's do this I'll be more than a little surprised.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewf...8824cfdbeb8419

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page