G90 + Moome + bluray = ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With apologies if this is an obvious question: Can anyone advise me on whether I can get my new bluray player to feed via hdmi to my G90? I had been using a VP30 to feed dvd and hd-dvd players via a DVI-equipped Moome card. I purchased an hdmi Moome card in 2007 and just installed it, but my new Sony blu ray still doesn't seem to want to play even via that card. Through the VP 30 when feeding the digital signal I get the curtain closing operation. When feeding the bluray directly I get an image, but the three colors are now displaced about an inch on the screen, and there is a strong flicker of around ten or so hertz.
I have tried various set up and input settings in the G90 menu but no luck.
Oh, and I also have no idea what to do with the remote that came with the card, but I guess that hardly matters until I can get a proper image...
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Make sure your BD player is not set to output 1080p@24, and you will have to re converge for the new resolution.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks much. Doing that, and also changing the "clamp" setting from "auto" to "H/C" (whatever that is...) in the G90 menu made a world of difference.
post #4 of 29 Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think that stupid 'clamp' setting messed everyone up. I spent 2 hours changing every board out in my G90 test chassis here the first time I tried it, only to find it was the darn setting.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #5 of 29 Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

That makes me feel pretty fortunate to have stumbled upon it, since I am not as experienced or technically savvy as most of you regulars here.

Does anyone have thoughts on how, if at all, I can make use of the remote? The card doesn't seem to have a means of accepting an IR signal, and no instructions were included in the package from Moome.
Thanks again.

Larry
PS Curt, thanks for your postings over the years. Some of your info back in the day first got me interested in CRTs. Then, because I lived in Chicago I met and saw the set ups of Cliffy and Arli, and the rest, as they say, is history--spoiled forever by old, slowly obsoleting technology. Thanks to all of you for helping keep it alive.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ah--just found Curt's older pages on the Moome cards, with instructions, etc. Excellent!
Curt, I also found your page for ordering the latest card, but it mentions only Marquee projectors. Is it also compatible with the G90?

Best,
Larry
post #7 of 29 Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Curt's web-site lists 2 different cards, 1 for sony and the other is marquee. The newest card is even better than the first 2 or 3 but also pretty complicated. If I owned a G90 in Chicago I would hire CRaig Rounds to calibrate it for peak performance.

Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #8 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Curt,

do you have a card for an nec 10pg?

Johnboy

"Politicians are a lot like diapers, They need to be changed often and for precisely the same reason ..Mark Twain
post #9 of 29 Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
post #10 of 29 Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM

My G90 flickers like crazy at 480i /480p resolution. It also flickers badly with bright flashes or if the projected image is solid white. Would this card fix that? If so its a no brainer for me and I'd get HDMI!
post #11 of 29 Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyhawk View Post

My G90 flickers like crazy at 480i /480p resolution. It also flickers badly with bright flashes or if the projected image is solid white. Would this card fix that? If so its a no brainer for me and I'd get HDMI!
I think we're going ot need more info than that. What is the source, how is it hooked up, etc.

post #12 of 29 Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM

Like maybe telling us if there's any error codes or smoke coming out of the machine. smile.gif
post #13 of 29 Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Haha no error codes and definitely no smoke. the video plays through beyond the flicker, its just annoying. Flicker happens the most with my Integra DVD player. It also happens on my PS3 running blu rays, cable box, and xbox360. All are hooked up component through an Integra receiver.

I got the projector second hand and the first owner wasn't kind to it so i don't know much of the history.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

I think we're going ot need more info than that. What is the source, how is it hooked up, etc.

Is it doing it through all resolutions to? Or just 480p/I?

Also why on earth are you using 480p/I?
post #15 of 29 Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM

The flicker happens on all resolutions. on 480p/480i it is much worse and I would get this wrapping effect on the top of the screen. the only 480 source i had was a Wii but I got frustrated with it and put it in a shoebox. Unless the standard dvd player counts
post #16 of 29 Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Does the menu appear clear ? Can you use the internal patterns? Are they crisp?
post #17 of 29 Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Menu access is fine and all the calibration elements are solid. Every 6 months or so I do some touch up calibration but nothing extreme. Tried talking to someone at sony about this but they werent helpful at all.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Haha. Course not. That machines is old at least ten years old, surprised he didn't ask you to buy a new LCoS projector.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. the video plays through beyond the flicker, its just annoying. Flicker happens the most with my Integra DVD player. It also happens on my PS3 running blu rays, cable box, and xbox360. All are hooked up component through an Integra receiver.
So how are you sending component video to the G90?

post #20 of 29 Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM

I've had a G-90 since early 2001. It has always flickered like yours with explosions and other very sudden extreme changes in brightness ( ie; dark room opens the door to direct sunlight, etc.). My sources back then were 1080i HD satellite over component and DVD over component. The dealer said the projector wasn't capable of 480p without a new card, so he put in a 480P component card for the DVD player and that fixed the problem for DVD. When Bluray came out I got an HDMI 1080P card (from J. Wachman? sorry I might have the name wrong, but he was from France, and his card did the same thing as the Moombe card.) The 1080P card works great, no problem with sudden brightness changes, just like the 480p card. So now, the only problem I have is with the satellite at 1080i component. I tried 1080i over the HDMI and it really did not like that.
I've asked, but nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to what cause this. Signal overload causing loss of sync, or something? I confess, I don't understand, or know how the thing works. I usually watch DVD/Bluray, so its not an issue. If I watch HD satellite sporting events there is rarely an issue, unless the camera operator accidentally pans over the sun or something.
Sorry, I know this isn't of any help, but like yourself, I'd like to know what causes it. I hope this puts your mind at ease that this issue is not a warning of impending doom for your projector.
wallyhawk likes this.
post #21 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM

All the devices run component into the receiver and then component out to the back of the projector.

pk422: that was actually an incredible help haha. You are the first person I've heard from with the same issue that I have. If it isn't too much trouble could you tell me exactly what both of the cards are so I can look them up? I'm a little nervous to spend the money and open this up if it may not solve the problem but it sounds like it will so I am definitely interested.

Thanks
post #22 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All the devices run component into the receiver and then component out to the back of the projector. I'm a little nervous to spend the money and open this up if it may not solve the problem but it sounds like it will so I am definitely interested.

Thanks
you don't have to open anything up to install a Moome HDMI card, it simply slips into an expansion slot in the back. If your in the Chicago area you might consider hiring Craig Rounds to not only install the card but dial the machine in perfectly.

post #23 of 29 Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM

I just hope he hasn't been running 480p for very long for fear of a wear pattern when switching to a 16x9 resolution.
I also wonder if the player was set to 24fps which flickers terribly on a G90.
If you get a Moome card or an HDfury buy a video processor and send only one resolution to the projector
post #24 of 29 Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I've been on a ski vacation + busy before leaving, so I haven't been here in a bit. I don't know what your equipment is, but I think if you run everything through an up-scaling receiver or something and output it as 1080p to the G-90 through a Moombe card, you will resolve the flicker problem. I have no idea of why this works, but it has for me. The card is an easy self install as I think someone has posted heree along with the proper clamp settings in the G-90 setup menu. It was a long time ago, but I just played with the settings until I stumbled on the one that worked. Obviously, I didn't know what I was doing and managed to pull it off. So, If I could do you, you can. Good luck - PK
post #25 of 29 Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like ill be buying a moombe card soon!

To address a previous concern, I avoid 480p 99% of the time. When I do get stuck with it for whatever reason the picture is stretched so I don't hurt my tubes further.

Sadly I got the projector used and it has burn in from the previous owner. I didn't wanna invest in new cannons before fixing the flicker.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-21-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

well if you want new tubes, now's the time to buy them,. AFAIK, VDC Florida is blowing out their tube supply and shut down their Shreverport plant.

Check with Tim martin at E-tech or Craig rounds in Chicago.
You want P19LUG's with the correct Sony High voltage leads.

post #27 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 PM

I haven't been able to find anything on AFAIK, VDC. Is that the company name?
post #28 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM

Wally,

I would do as Dragan mentioned and speak to Craig Rounds (www.cir-engineering.com) Tim Martin (www.etechvideo.com) or Curt Palme (www.curtpalme.com) VDC doesnt have a typical customer service line or support as with most other places. So dealing with a pro mentioned above will be way easier.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Appreciate all the help. I will definitely be reaching out.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page