Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys,

Need some advise from you guys.

Give up on looking for used G90 in my country.

Thought of getting a New G90 from FH VIDEO.

Now a day there are no demand on CRT so what's price do you think is worth it or reasonable offer?

Thanks
Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd first find out what FH wants for them. A new G90 that's been sitting in the box for 7-8 years isn't worth too much.

If they want over $6-7K at this point, consider a used one from North America. Shipping isn't that expensive, and I've got 3 used ones coming in during March, one with zero tube wear.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #3 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last time i inquired, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, they wanted $20K for a brand new G90. Only a 6 month non-Sony warranty.

If you decide to buy from FH make sure the YA board has they the IC421 with the serial number that won't crap out. If the chip dies after the warranty expires you'll be left with a 240lb brick and searching for a parts G90 with a functioning YA board. Been there, done that. Had to wait a year for a suitable donor.
post #4 of 21 Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Curt & Lewis,

Thanks for the advise. BTW FH Video still asking ridiculous price of US$13,900 for Demo unit.

Hi Curt, because I'm not in the state so if there any problem with the PJ I will have difficulty repairing it and quite costly to send the board or parts from SIN - US.

If shoot me a email when you have a G90 with low chasis hour. Thanks and my email is ganboonee_8@hotmail.com

Marcus
post #5 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a little insight into this, as I bought a G90 off of Roger Galvin. Roger does a lot of the installs for FH. He told me that the G90s and CRTs in general are still selling even at the asking price in China. That was a year ago and I doubt anything has changed.

Your best bet is to pick up two used G90s, so that you can use one and have a back up.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #6 of 21 Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I have a little insight into this, as I bought a G90 off of Roger Galvin. Roger does a lot of the installs for FH. He told me that the G90s and CRTs in general are still selling even at the asking price in China. That was a year ago and I doubt anything has changed.

Your best bet is to pick up two used G90s, so that you can use one and have a back up.

Hi Ericglo,

Thanks for you advise. Anyway I don't need 2 G90 because I'm looking at a G90 which can last me for more than 5 yrs will be enough. By than I think the digital should be as good as CRT.

Hope Curt can get for me a set with low hours.

Cheers
Marcus
post #7 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Marcus, I will email shortly. With a CRT, it doesn't really matter where you get it from. As I said above, a new in the box set that hasn't been turned on in 10 years is just as likely to fail (or not fail) as one that has been used regularly. Generally the G90s are pretty reliable. The Dallas chip should be changed on any working G90, as a failure of the Dallas chip can spot burn the tubes. I just had a set in like that.

I now change the Dallas chips automatically in every G90 that I sell, and have done so for the last 2 years, ever since I saw the damage that a bad Dallas chip can do.

As for sending boards, since the set is modular, any board in almost any CRT projector can be pulled out and sent for repair. The average board to and from Singapore to me is $50 each way.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #8 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Gan View Post

Hi Ericglo,

Thanks for you advise. Anyway I don't need 2 G90 because I'm looking at a G90 which can last me for more than 5 yrs will be enough. By than I think the digital should be as good as CRT.

Hope Curt can get for me a set with low hours.

Cheers
Marcus

Then you should take Curt's advice if you just want one. Fortunately, it looks like he can ship the boards for cheap. So, if there is a problem, then you won't be without your pj for to long.

As for waiting for digital to be good enough, that could be anywhere between now and never depending on what you like about CRT. If you are looking for 4k and 500k to 1 on/off cr, then five years might be about right.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

If you are looking for 4k ad 500k to 1 on/off cr, then five years might be about right.

Patiently waiting here.

Although, I will say this. It took the triple stack to actually be able to measure that number of 500k to 1 on/off. The stack cannot do it and certainly one G90 cannot either
post #10 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Patiently waiting here.

Although, I will say this. It took the triple stack to actually be able to measure that number of 500k to 1 on/off. The stack cannot do it and certainly one G90 cannot either

I think Darin measured Steve Smith's gamma corrected G70 at something like 700k to 1.

post #11 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
think it's not worth getting from overseas unless you get a damn good deal which i doubt so, 9" is in high demand now and the price seems to be going up instead of down. Why don't you look for a vidikron vision 1 or barco which i think had been sold in singapore, but g90 was never brought into singapore at all.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

think it's not worth getting from overseas unless you get a damn good deal which i doubt so, 9" is in high demand now and the price seems to be going up instead of down. Why don't you look for a vidikron vision 1 or barco which i think had been sold in singapore, but g90 was never brought into singapore at all.

Yes, you are right, there are more Vision 1 & Barco than G90. However I find G90 more reliable. I think for international buyer getting from Curt will be safest because he probably will be the last CRT supplier and repairer when all others exit the business.

Thanks for all the advise I will contact Curt and hope he can get me a low hours G90. Anyway only expensive freight cost will be shippping the PJ only and the parts doesn't cost that much. Furthermore is still work out to be cheaper than owning a digital with such short bulb life.

Marcus
post #13 of 21 Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think a Sony is more reliable than the other two. Honestly, the Marquee might be the best bet these days, because VDC will be supporting the brand for another five to ten years.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Barco Cinemax is stil the king of all 9inch CRT. All 9inch once perfectly set, barco stil edge out the competitors.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

Barco Cinemax is stil the king of all 9inch CRT. All 9inch once perfectly set, barco stil edge out the competitors.

I don't think that is true anymore. With Mike Parkers mods the performance IMO probably exceeds the capabilities of the Cinemax. A stock G90 was reported as close to achieving 909/Cine9 performance levels prior to these video path upgrades. A lot comes down to setup and who is doing the calibration. MP's mods have fixed the G90's video noise (especially problematic on the green).

The biggest achiles heel for the high end 9" Barcos is the lack of used parts. This can make repairs VERY expensive and in time many of those parts will be unavailable even new from the factory.

I would either go with a recent 9501 ultra or a G90 with possibly a parts mule somewhere nearby. When MP's mods become available, install them and don't look back. You won't be embarrassed by a reasonably priced contender from the digital camp for at least another 5 years.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 PM

yes, agreed on the VERY COSTLY parts of Barco cinemax/9 that is why i have 1 spare set 909 for spare parts. Why do i say cinemax/9 is king, it's grey scale tracking across the full range is close to perfect as it has adjustable gamma curve for Red and Blue whereby others even though you have adjusted for correct gain and bias, there's a slight compromise in the mid range grey scale (use moome ext for crt gamma). Secondly, if you look into the lens of each crt (power off) The C element for cinemax/9 has a deeper shade of red in the colored elements compared to say G90 and this produces a very accurate and shall i say more range in the red color. Like i said, side by side, the Barco has that X factor especially in the color region and digital convergence (less drift) which makes it stands out above the rest and is to date still surpasses digital.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CRT is Still the king. You cannot beat physics or just say something new is automatically better. What goes in is immediately drawn with electronics on the screen. No processing no windows to open on a Silicon panel.

Also try Comparing a modified Cine9/909 with my mods. We are on V16 now and have specialized in Barco mods for over 7 years now.

We are selling CRT for better prices than we did 5 years ago and that is a fact.

Barco 909 Cine 9 are selling well into 10k range. The issue is people are tired of digital.

The picture of a digital projector no matter how good is still not even close to one of our modified Cine9 / 909.

Also why are people trying to purposely trying to drive down the prices of CRT units. A G70 is a very good projector and get a better picture than most digitalis.

I just purchased two of the best televisions on the market Panasonic VT30 and I can tell you that one of my modified projectors is FAR better. The issue is that you cant put a projector in your living room..... Some do however.

Greg

Gregory C. Eisemann Senior Electrical Engineer, Satcom Engineer, Opnet Engineer, Network Engineering, Satellite Engineering
post #18 of 21 Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM

By than I think the digital should be as good as CRT.
------------------------------------------------------

Dont start saying things like this it will only start a war lol........

Ill keep my mouth shut for starters......
post #19 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

For anyone interested, I have five G90's in stock at the moment. The best units have the following hours:

150 hours
2200 hours
4300 hours
12000 hours

You guys know where to find me.

Also, I believe the G90 is the best projector and that is that. They are incredibly reliable and have about as good bandwidth as can be had. The focus system is first rate due to being fully electronic with no mechanical adjustments at all.

craigr

Precision Video Calibration
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Quantum Data QD780 Multimedia Generator
ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software

www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com

Craig Rounds

post #20 of 21 Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIR-Engineering View Post

Also, I believe the G90 is the best projector and that is that. They are incredibly reliable and have about as good bandwidth as can be had. The focus system is first rate due to being fully electronic with no mechanical adjustments at all.

craigr

+1

I still say we design a frankenG90 with 12" Tubes, full 4K rez, full auto setup INCLUDING all built in measuring instruments that do full auto calibration for greyscale, gamma, geometry, convergence. Then we need to pair it to the modded Radiance on steroids of course

Where is TSE when you need him?
post #21 of 21 Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:

He told me that the G90s and CRTs in general are still selling even at the asking price in China. That was a year ago and I doubt anything has changed.

Maybe a year or so ago, either here or Curt's site, there was a photo from a Chinese mall that had some sort of "CRT projector store".

It looked like your average retail mall, but had a store that had various (mostly Sony D/G-series) CRT PJs.

It was kinda funny to see these PJ artfully perched and displayed like high-end woman's shoes or whatever.

Cool, anyhow, if not a little strange.
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page