Anyone in DC Area or Virginia? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to see what a truly legitimate CRT Projector setup looks like and learn some tips from a seasoned home theater enthusiast. Pretty new to the game, but the Electrohome 8500 is a great start.

I'm from Northern Virginia but currently at school in Hampton Roads. I do go through Richmond monthly though. Please feel free to PM. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
where are you in the DC area?

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

If I were you I'd post over at Curt's forums (http://www.curtpalme.com/). There are more active CRT users there than here. I am outside Richmond and have a Runco 1100 (Barco 1209s clone) but my theater is in the middle of a renovation so I cannot show anybody anything right now because it is all torn up. Due to work and other things I doubt it will be ready before summer.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There are quite a few CRT users in VA. I have personally seen the setups of members "Clarence" and "wallace1234", also "wkosmann" all of the Purcellville and Middleburg area last time I checked. A search in this forum will certainly turn up lots of results containing contributions and comments from all of these guys. I can't speak to any of their availability but all are super nice guys running a range of CRT brands including Sony, NEC and Electrohome. "wkosmann" had a really nice Electrohome blend on a large screen a few years ago when I attended one of his get togethers.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 PM

UncleWill:
As dropzone7 mentions, there are a few of us up here in the Northern VA area. And, mp20748 also asks where you are.

MP20748 is one of the most qualified and respected Marquee and overall video expert on the planet; no kidding.

If you are planning to be in the area of Western DC/VA, let me know.

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh, Purcelville? I've been there. Patrick Henry College and such, right? I am located in Great Falls/Vienna/Reston triangle, between Route 7 and the Reston Zoo. I do not have a setup there though - everything is all down at college in Hampton Roads.

Please excuse the crudity of this setup. It's the first of this kind I have ever done, hence my want to gain more experience. draganM was kind enough earlier to send me some document info about Marquee's and a grayscale setup guide, so that helped too.

Attachment 241459

A 2000 build date! Currently has about 35,000 on the chassis and a little under 2,000 on the actual tubes. Purchased for $100 in NC plus parts.

Attachment 241460

The slumbering beast. A few days ago, my friends wanted to watch an LD of "Independence Day" on here. The total fade to black made me smile with pride!

Attachment 241461

The video rack.
LL
LL
LL

post #7 of 15 Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM

It's been a while since I've logged in here, but yes there are a few of us in the VA area with CRTs.

UncleWill - we are in close to being neighbors and share the same zip code.

Greg Eismann is up in Silver Spring and he always has some interesting CRT projects; I replaced a Runco CRT with a Barco 1209 that Greg juiced up.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWill View Post

Ahh, Purcelville? I've been there. Patrick Henry College and such, right? I am located in Great Falls/Vienna/Reston triangle, between Route 7 and the Reston Zoo. I do not have a setup there though - everything is all down at college in Hampton Roads.

Please excuse the crudity of this setup. It's the first of this kind I have ever done, hence my want to gain more experience. draganM was kind enough earlier to send me some document info about Marquee's and a grayscale setup guide, so that helped too.

Attachment 241459

A 2000 build date! Currently has about 35,000 on the chassis and a little under 2,000 on the actual tubes. Purchased for $100 in NC plus parts.

Attachment 241460

The slumbering beast. A few days ago, my friends wanted to watch an LD of "Independence Day" on here. The total fade to black made me smile with pride!

Attachment 241461

The video rack.

Yep; I am about 1 mile from Patrick Henry.

PM me if you are going to be in the area.

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

A 2000 build date!

that would be an 8500 Ultra. If it says 35K hours standby and 2K hours ON, then the tubes, yokes, electron gun, etc. will have 37K hours on them. The Phosphor will have only 2K. ( Stupid electrohome "stand-by" button is just video mute. This is for short intermissions, not for overnight or months at a time).

Quote:

LD was cool way back when. The 480i video isn't very good when you blow it up 8 feet wide but the analog sound with no digital conversion is nice. I'm guessing you had it connected with a composite video connector?
Just wait till you see Blue Ray in true high definition.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

When contacting the guy I bought it from, I was told it had just under 2,000 hours. Guess he forgot to tell me about the extra 33,000 This was probably because this model was used in a simulator. When not it use, NASA probably had it in standby.

LD was AND STILL is cool. It has a charm to it and the packaging can be a wonderful treat, especially with those gatefold covers! From a purist standpoint, the uncompressed PCM digital sound mixes are awesome. Often, they are exact copies of the original Dolby Stereo Mixes used in theatrical releases. I've also seen some stunning colors off LDs, perfectly blue skies and landscapes - "Dances with Wolves" and "John Woo's the Killer" in particular.

Granted, the HD jump is creeping up on me. Perhaps one reason I am hesitant is that everything else would need to be upgraded too (maybe I should take some cheese with that wine?). Another possibility is that I have not endured a jawdropping, never look back moment yet. Watching "2001: A Space Odyssey" on Blu-Ray would be my first pick, followed by "Ben Hur" and "Cleopatra". I'm sure it'll come in time. Personally, there is something about watching films on flat screens that seems harsh and unnatural to my eyes. One of the incentives for buying CRT was getting as close to the real theater experience as possible. Thankfully, I have been most impressed and can say this has been one of the best buys ever.

post #11 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LD was AND STILL is cool. It has a charm to it and the packaging can be a wonderful treat, especially with those gatefold covers! From a purist standpoint, the uncompressed PCM digital sound mixes are awesome. .

the only drawback is the that electrhome did not make a very good S-video/composite board. Luckily you have an Ultra and one the later versions. A video scaler in case you don't have one, would be ideal here. It would take the 480i s-video and turn it into 480P or better yet 720P, then send it to the marquee as seperate RGBHV. The untis made for "doubling" interlaced video are useless now from a $-value point of view so you should be able to get one for the price of shipping. I might even have one here.

Quote:

Granted, the HD jump is creeping up on me. Perhaps one reason I am hesitant is that everything else would need to be upgraded too (maybe I should take some cheese with that wine?). Another possibility is that I have not endured a jawdropping, never look back moment yet.

well a Moome card and newer movie on BD can be rather jaw-dropping.Older movies look but not as good as new ones. Nothing else you would have to upgrade, just get the moome card, a $30. cable, and create a new channel (memory slot) for it.

post #12 of 15 Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

My projector did not come with the composite board installed, hence I had to make the jump to a video processor after buying. I barely knew what I was getting myself into, but soon figured it out, with thanks to certain in depth and well known CRT projector website. I know that Curt, wherever he may be hovering on these messageboards suggested the Moome card to me as well. I know that newer versions have been coming out occasionally, so perhaps I'll nab one when the time is right. Still, there are few things I would like to clarify:

1.) What is the advantage of an internal card versus an external HDMI to RGBHV converter like HD-Fury? The external is obviously cheaper, but
how great is the difference really between these two?

2.) In order to take advantage of an HD signal on a CRT projector, shouldn't the neck boards, anamorphic, and related modifications be done prior?

3.) My current system is set up in a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit most of my analog sources. The raster had to be carefully fit to compensate for slight burn on the blue and green tubes. It killed me when I realized this , but not planning an a retube just yet. Seeing as most HD sources are 16:9 though, wouldn't it be difficult to set this up without the burn it being noticable?

4.) Do you really think older films would not look as great? Surely a 70MM print (rare as they are) would look fantastic in High Definition, granted the studio did not cheap out on the telecine and restoration.

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to ask some things I'd been pondering on.

post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1.) What is the advantage of an internal card versus an external HDMI to RGBHV converter like HD-Fury? The external is obviously cheaper, but how great is the difference really between these two?

depends on the resolution. If your running a Good rez fr an 8500 like 1080i, 720P. 810P, then a Fury is just fine. 3 or 4 used ones for sale right now at Curt's from a trusted seller. Grab one cuz they go quick

Quote:

2.) In order to take advantage of an HD signal on a CRT projector, shouldn't the neck boards, anamorphic, and related modifications be done prior?

anamorphic yes, the remaining mod's would further imporve the pic and restore/increase the machine's performance but HD will look better no matter what.

Quote:

3.) My current system is set up in a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit most of my analog sources. The raster had to be carefully fit to compensate for slight burn on the blue and green tubes. It killed me when I realized this , but not planning an a retube just yet. Seeing as most HD sources are 16:9 though, wouldn't it be difficult to set this up without the burn it being noticable?

yes HD is 16:9 and you should be able to stay within the burn area. I have a pretty nice green tube with light, and very large wear pattern if you need one.

Quote:

4.) Do you really think older films would not look as great? Surely a 70MM print (rare as they are) would look fantastic in High Definition, granted the studio did not cheap out on the telecine and restoration.

well to ny eye's they just don't but they do have a very "classic film" look to them lots of CRT guys really love

post #14 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM

Im in Newport News. Have a G70 in my basement. Putting house on market. Havent decided to just leave it, or take it down.
If u want to check out 757 344 0242

Thad
post #15 of 15 Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

DUDE! PM me with some pictures!! I'm leaving tomorrow for a vacation outside the states but might be interested. Shoot me some specs if you can. Thanks,
UncleWill

Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page