Any Recommendation for HD Projector for school auditorium - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I teach a High School Cinema class. We are planning to up-rgrade the projector to a High Def. model. About 50' throw. Would appreciate any advice on best choices. Minimum Lumens, LCD or other, Resolution etc. Budget $5,000 - $6,000. Many thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Are you going to reuse an existing screen?

If so its very important to know the screensize.

I have to assume the screen needs to be replaced as well, as if your not running HD resolutions now its problably an old 4:3 screen that needs to go by by.

An example is a SONY 5200 lumens 3LCD model VPLFH35
At 50 feet of throw you be able to do a 16:9 screen thats 405" Diagnal (199" Tall X 353" wide )

This projector fits in your budget.

As for the screen do you want an elecrtric roll down screen or a fixed screen? That will signifigantly offset price!

ALSO this was posted in the CRT Projector forum.. You will not be installing a CRT Projector in the schools auditorium. They just dont work for that application.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Something else to consider is light control of the room. If there is going to be lights on during movie viewing or windows without shades it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into a high gain screen material to combat some of the ambient light.

I took a look at that projector. I find it funny that the lens has a manual focus. How do you focus an image from 50 feet away?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

Are you going to reuse an existing screen?
ALSO this was posted in the CRT Projector forum.. You will not be installing a CRT Projector in the schools auditorium. They just dont work for that application.

It is possible, but it's not ideal and would have to be driven very hard and the room would need to be very dark. When I started high school we had a CRT projector in our auditorium (wasn't a very big auditorium) but by the time I graduated it had been replaced with a digital projector. But yeah, it's certainly going to be a high-lumen digital (LCD, LCoS, DLP) projector for this application. As others have said, knowing the original screen size and aspect ratio are important.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Looks like the OP is long gone. Another newbie that lacks the skills for thanking others for their input...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 10:58 AM

I sent him an email with a recomendation on a nice commercial machine for their applaication that was under his budget... I havent heard a thing.....I feel its a school and these schools it doesnt seem to matter where they are, they dont have any money to do things properly.

I just fixed a projector set up at a local middle school here... the original install was very sloppy. The need a new lamp for an NEC projector so instead fo replacign the lamp they slapped up another old projector.....
They have a nice new little sound system they purchased for somwhere lese I think amazon ....they want me to install it all. They bought nice Yamaha S115 loudspeakers and a bearinger powered mixer. I need to modify the speakers for flying and put in a rack with a locking door. I just hope they have the $$ to do this part right.....
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Vic, why do you do this? First off, 'modifying' speakers for hanging is a good way to go out of business. If the speakers don't have flypoints, DON'T FLY THEM! Those Yamahas are NOT designed to be flown. Read this, especially page 2:

http://soundsolutionscanada.com/technical/unsafe/

Second, every installer knows that you make money selling equipment, not doing plain labor. If the cheap POS Behringer mixer fails under warranty, they'll call you, and want you to do the call for free. Sounds like they have no money. I'd thank them for the inquiry, I'd point out why they should return everything, and then buy a system from you. If not, walk from it, and let someone else inherit the headache.

Behringer is the worst commercial crap out there. Lower than low. I won't sell it, let alone install it. FYI.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page