The Fade to Black Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I went to go see this summer's first blockbuster, "The Avengers". Overall, a so-so movie. The best parts were the Hulk and Robert Downey Jr's performance as Iron Man. It had been quite a while since I had gone to the movies. Having the CRT setup has negated that feeling for a while. For the first 10 or so minutes though, I was comparing my setup in my head to what I was wittnessing there.

One thing that suprised me was the fade to black aspect. At home, I am so used to this as expected the same thing. Sure enough, every fade which is quite a few during the previews, see video commenting this here: http://cinemassacre.com/2010/01/20/t...movie-cliches/

...was an ugly grey. Yick. Anybody else notice this? I'm guessing all CRT'ers will have to compromise on this when we go to the movies now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 368
I liked the movie much better than you did. Every movie presentation I see in the theater these days has inferior black levels compared to what I have with my CRT setup. It's just something I've come to expect, and I don't expect it to get better.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Theaters have worse black levels than the better non-DLP digitals too. The Xtreme screen at the nearby theater also uses a pretty high gain screen so it has a very obvious hot spot in the middle (I sit in the middle) and the sides are quite visibly dark. So poor blacks and uniformity issues.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I agree with the above. Someone here years ago posted a number of a 400:1 contrast ratio if as much as an exit light sign is on within the theatre. I don't know whether that's an accurate number, I'm just repeating what I read.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 9 Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

I liked the movie much better than you did.

Well, I went to see my friends more than the film. Have also yet to see Iron Man 1 or 2, Captain America, or Thor so go figure. The only one I had seen was the Hulk and I never got into the comics much either. (All sins against Mandom, I know!)

Very interesting to hear about these changes evident with cinema now. Surely the material of the film is more secure and cinemas are saving money, but I guess this is where we lose out. I can distinctly remember going to theaters as a kid and having the total fade out, with the most clear recollection being Slumdog Millionaire only a few years ago.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

I agree with the above. Someone here years ago posted a number of a 400:1 contrast ratio if as much as an exit light sign is on within the theatre. I don't know whether that's an accurate number, I'm just repeating what I read.

It didn't help that the theater has BRIGHT step lights.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've notice this for years and commented on it here years ago. Film in particular does not have good "blacks" because it is transmissive. In most cases the good HT digital projectors now have far superior blacks than you'll see at the theatre. A gamma corrected CRT is still the king overall. This will and is changing.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This has been discussed in depth in the past. I believe the cr figure is 2k to 1. Theaters aren't going to be able to do better because of the environment. And no it wasn't better in the past with film instead of digital.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
These theaters are a LOT more concerned with ftL readings as opposed to CR measurements. Especially if these projectors are doing 3D. You also need to consider the size of these screens. You're going to need an especially bright projector to fill a screen that size and still get in the teens for a ftL reading. That insane brightness usually kills the opportunity for decent black levels.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page