Dwin HD700 FREE Very Low Hour Tubes, probable Power Supply problem. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Howdy....I got this Dwin from Alan Gouger some years ago so that when my , then current, Dwin HD500 wore out I'd have a replacement. It's been in the closet until a couple of months ago when I hooked it up.

According to Alan the CRT's had just been replaced by Dwin and he had not used it since. The total hour on the PJ are less than 3000 with under 300 on the tubes. The problem it's exhibiting is, intermittently, the picture will loose geometry and pulse a bit. You can turn it off and back on and you may have a fine pictrue for a couple of hours. Cuet Palme expects it's tha power supply and the fix is $250.

I do have the shipping box if anyone wants to have ups or fedex pick it up or pick it up yourself. I'm in the Atlanta, Ga area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
WOW

My Dwin did the exact same thing the last year I had it, then moved homes and it went from ceiling mounted in a dedicated theater to table mount in a not so "dedicated" theater in a home I rented that I converted the loft to a theater.

When I moved it from the ceiling to the floor / table mount position I had a chance to clean the unit, reseat the board thats in the metal case betwen the red and green gun if I remember right.

Also I had noticed the magnets loosened up on my red gun so I tightend it back up and reconverged.

After that when I sold it it was a perfectly working projector. If your geometry / convergence is "bouncing" around, as mine was noticably wiggling then would settle down it may be a very easy fix. For sure its worth opening up and checking out as its very easy to do on the Dwins. I used to have a box and a road case but it would cost me too much to build another case and ship to you to grab that projector or I would. I just dont have any need for it and I know Id never be able to sell it or Id be interested in it.

If you have time to investigate this it would be worth it if your still using CRT. Youll never find another Dwin as good as the one you have as its sounds like practally a brand new projector. Granted a 720p Projector but still, Blueray looked pretty damn good on that Dwin.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey Vic C.

It does throw an nice pic when it's not wiggling about. I have opened it up and may get motivated to pull and reseat more of the connections besides the easier ones to get to. I basically just use it as a tv and use a digital for sports and movies on a larger screen

BTW....I do have the original shipping box.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 AM

The DWIN HD700 was their best CRTprojector.

The picture when dialed in on it is incredible. Ive seen more expensive CRT projectors that do look better but the question is how much better for the price and the answer was not that much better for a lot more.

The Dwin is only 720p and of course the machaines that can do 1080p would blow it away but this HD700 at 720p to me look a lot better then a lot of th eother projectors of the time that could also do 720p.

It would certainly be worth your time if you can get it working if its just amatter of reseating some plugs and boards. It may be worth pulling out and looking at the caps in the power supply as well. Its a few screws to remove the frontt input plate and unpug the input cabeling and then remove the golden colored box in the front . Thats the power supply and there have been a few dwins that have had catistrophic power supply problems. Id check it clean out the dust in it and check every other connection. You may get your self a working projector with a little effort.

There is a small quiet fan in the power supply that will draw in dust over years of use.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Only really 3 things that can go wrong in a dwin right?

Hard to beat free, even if it is only partially working. Might try re-seating the cables and cpu board.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well....I re-seated most everything and it's been running several hours without the wiggles. Longest period of time it's been wiggle free. Perhaps I'll keep a crt in my arsenal.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Hessel.....

I charge 65.00 an hour for service calls lol......you can mail me a check LOL........

Thats awesome Im glad its working those DWINS are nice. One of my favorite CRT projectors in its size range. I think one of the best in a 7" if you ask me. I only went back to Digital from the DWIN was 2 reasons.

I got a smoking deal on a JVC DLA HD550 that I jumped on wich I sold last year because I was able to make a few bucks on it over what I paid and bought a JVC RS40........Now that I have 1080p and 3D Capability Im locked in.

Other wise if I hadnt gotten the deal I wouldnt be supprised if my new theater would have had the Dwin in there.
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page