Question about HD on Component to RGBHV transcoders, specifically the Audio Authority 9A65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So right now I have Audio Authority's oldest component transcoder, the 9A62: http://www.audioauthority.com/techdocs/9a62752367.pdf - It was marketed for 480p use only, though some have reported success with HD resolutions

It works really well for 480p sources. On my multisync CRT monitor it maintains color and sharpness really well. When I try to go HD, though, I run into trouble. At 720p, I get a "sync out of range" message, which is strange, because my monitor can go well above 1080p when using a computer. When I get this message, it is reporting a horizontal sync that is jumping between 69 and 220hz. Of course, 220 is way out of range of my monitor, but it also doesn't correspond to the 1280x720 resolution. Any clue why the 9A62 would do this (source is a PS3, when I hook it into my monitor directly, the 720p displays just fine, though completely green)?

I will get a viewable signal with 1080i, but is way too dark, and most blacks are completely crushed.

So my primary question is, will the 9A65 allow me to view these resolutions, or is there some compatibility issue I'm not seeing? It is the updated model released years later: http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/9A65 - It was marketed as working with 720p and 1080i sources.

Also, anyone that has experience with these sorts of transcoders, I would appreciate any insight you could provide here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, the 9A65 will work best on 480p, with limited or no success with other resolutions. Get another transcoder that is designed for 1080i or 720p or switch to HDMI and get a Moome box.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Get another transcoder that is designed for 1080i or 720p

Thanks for the response curt, but if you look at the 9A65, it really appears like it was designed for 720p and 1080i. If you look at the front right there are LED's for those resolutions:

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the 9A62? Or are you saying they're both pretty terrible with HD?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Curt's saying your using a really old transcoder, and now your wondering whether a slightly less older version will fix things. one that specifically say's
"you might have problems hooking up certain devices, if so contact the factory for a return authorization" .
and
"This design has been discontinued. We suggest the Model 1366 as an alternative."

What usually happens with old gear isn't so much a resolution problem but more likely a data format problem. The standards have changed and during the time when newer standards were being introduced many devices had compatibility issues.
So will the 9A65 work, maybe, but why bother. If it's free go for it, otherwise A really good component to video converter, like the RTC2200, with gamma boost to fix those crushed Blacks you saw, is only $189. Considered one of the best out there.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #5 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for telling me about the RTC2200 draganm! That looks exactly like what I need. The gamma correction should make it compatible with any 720p or 1080p device I come across in the future. Definitely bookmarked.

Will still get the AA transcoder because I can get it for really cheap. If it doesn't work I'll be able resell for a little more. I'll post what it looks like here.

Will still end up getting the RTC2200 to guarantee compatibility into the future though.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

the gamma correction is specifically designed for CRT, it has to do with the Phosphor luminescence (how it lites up), and helps reduce the ink-blob syndrome with in really dark scenes.
Let us know how the AA works out. If it works you can just skip any additional component trans-coders as none of them will be future proof. The industry is slowly moving away from any analog outputs on consumer devices because they think digital HDCP will protect their content.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I've also considered getting the HDfury HDMI>RGBHV transcoder. The things holding me back are: I don't know how the picture quality stacks up to the pure analog conversions of YPbPr to RGBHV, how much delay there is in the signal processing, and if there are any differences in that timing between revisions of the HDfury (important for games).

Definitely important to me though because I have three quality CRT's that can hit at least 1920X1440, with two of them waiting in the wings for when my current one craps out. I'm in for the long haul with analog.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
How does the older Extron CVC-200 stack up? How about the newer Extron CVC-300? Do they compare favorably to the RTC-2200? Does anyone know if they have any gamma correction? I can't find any reference to gamma correction in the Extron support docs, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did it because I've been using the CVC-200 with a Mitsubishi MegaView Pro 37" and haven't noticed any issues with dark scenes.

My problem is the CVC-200 needs service, and I'm trying to decide what to do. Extron says it will cost $125 to repair the CVC-200. I can get a CVC-300 for $120 (retail is $990), and the basic HDFury is only $99 (all sources have both component video and HDMI output). I'm wondering if the RTC-2200 is worth $190, or to repair the CVC-200, or simply buy the CVC-300, RTC-2200, or HDFury.......

Help.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Having owned dozens of Extron items, I say don't go with anything Extron unless you get it for $20. from ebay. They aren't NEARLY as good as their specs seem to indicate they'll be...The original HD Fury is the weakest Fury, but still a good product, and fine for what you're going to use it for at 1080i HD material.

I've owned the CVC200, and sold it along, more than once. The only product for converting component to RGB that I've kept through everything was my trusty RTC2200, the most solid product in the bunch IMHO, but sadly, too expensive now considering how narrow its applicability is...
post #10 of 16 Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

Having owned dozens of Extron items, I say don't go with anything Extron unless you get it for $20. from ebay. They aren't NEARLY as good as their specs seem to indicate they'll be...The original HD Fury is the weakest Fury, but still a good product, and fine for what you're going to use it for at 1080i HD material.
I've owned the CVC200, and sold it along, more than once. The only product for converting component to RGB that I've kept through everything was my trusty RTC2200, the most solid product in the bunch IMHO, but sadly, too expensive now considering how narrow its applicability is...
Thanks for your reply. I have a different experience set with Extron; although what I consider pricey, the product always lives up to and can exceed my expectations. The only down side for me using a Fury is that I'm not using an HDMI switcher in the system (everything is component, for now) and would have to manually change cables to change inputs. I may have to do that. You don't mention using the CVC-300, is that correct?

post #11 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen gamma boost mentioned by any other manufacturer other than the ones who's customer base included the CRT forum hobbyist's. These folks responded directly to first: DVI transcoding
then: demand for better low end performance from their CRT projectors and offered the later version Fury, Moome, RTC, etc. with gamma boost
AAMOFF the first I ever heard of low end gamma boost was here, just after moome released his very first DVI transcoder card . People asked for it and the second card had it as an option for a short time, then standard with adjustability. The fury had it as a Dongle attachment for the F2, but now it's built right into the F3.
I don't know how a CRT direct view handles movie or game content since I've never used one for that but for projection, the low end boost is a must have.
I also know that component to RGB transcoding is not as easy as it might appear. The need to strip synch signals form all 3 channels on component video, then create them as separate signals can result in considerably noisy and attenuated output. Without commenting on any specific product, I think it's safe to say the bulk of them did it poorly.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

. You don't mention using the CVC-300, is that correct?

Never used one.

But I do have a XC-3730C 37" Mitsubishi presentation monitor in the garage, hahaha...great "tv" but 275 pounds ayeyaye I brought its replacement 55" down to the basement alone...
post #13 of 16 Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

But I do have a XC-3730C 37" Mitsubishi presentation monitor in the garage, hahaha...great "tv" but 275 pounds ayeyaye....
That's the one. It can be moved short distances by two people, but four is much better.

I still love that analog picture; 33" of CRT HD goodness.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

I've used my RTC2200 with the Mits too, and it improved the Mits's presentation of HD material as well as doing the same for my projectors. I still have an RTC2200 in the mix, but for the last few years its been in the form of an add in card to my NEC ISS switcher... For HDMI, I use a Moome NEC ISS switcher card...I could use the Moome card for both since it has component input as well, but I prefer the RTC2200 output over the Moome for component.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, turns out the 9A65 is mostly a success. 720p and 1080i display great: the colors are very accurate, and the black levels are still very good (I'll have to play some more to see if there is any loss there, but if there is its very slight).

The strange thing is that I have to set it to composite sync (RGBS). In RGBHV, the top 10th of the screen is literally looks like it's been twisted (it gets progressively narrow in one spot, then returns to normal size at the very top). No big deal though, RGBS is just as sharp and colorful.

Tried 1080p, and it technically works, but it flashes and has lines going through the screen. The lights on the transcoder are quickly alternating between "unlock" and "720p". I think this means the transcoder is being confused somehow and won't fully unlock and allow 1080p to pass through. Maybe there is some sort of way to disable the auto-detect feature, in which case I think 1080p would work with this thing. Not a huge loss, only a few PS3 games natively display in that resolution.

So yeah, I'm going to hold on to this thing for the time being. If I can save up a little change I might go for the RTC2200 or an HDfury, for the 1080p and gamma control.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Yes, the 9A65 will work best on 480p, with limited or no success with other resolutions. Get another transcoder that is designed for 1080i or 720p or switch to HDMI and get a Moome box.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page