Advice for projecting an HD image onto a CIRCULAR screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone and thanks for the help,

Im making a video projection for a music festival. It is to be projected onto a big circle screen. the circle will be 12 feet across...

My project is done in after effects. I've rendered out the video in the following format
-HDTV 1920 x 1080
-16:9 Aspect Ratio

I have also added a circle mask which lies bang on in the center of the video.

My question basically is, will this circle fit perfectly onto the 12foot across screen? I will be projecting using an HD projector, but is there any kind of math/calculations I need to make to ensure that my crop circle that I apply to the video actually matches the screen circle?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, its my first ever projection project. I'm a graphic artist but I have no idea about hardware like projectors... smile.gif

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Liked: 11
Since you asked this in the CRT projectors forum, are you using a CRT projector (as opposed to a more portable digital LCD or DLP projector)? If you are, there are geometry adjustments that can easily be made. to compensate for the curvature of the screen. If it's a digital projector, things could be a bit trickier and depend more on the specific model of projector you have.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
My question basically is, will this circle fit perfectly onto the 12foot across screen?

that would depend on the zoom lens and position of the projector.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.

I think maybe i worded it all wrong. The circle screen is not curved. its a flat screen like any projector screen only shaped like a circle instead of rectangular. The reason why I'm confused about whether the image will fit is because of aspect ratios? But I think I'm just being stupid now, because surely I just have to calculate the aspect ratio of the circle screen and see that it matches that of my video circle...?

thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 06:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebermand View Post

thanks for the reply.
I think maybe i worded it all wrong. The circle screen is not curved. its a flat screen like any projector screen only shaped like a circle instead of rectangular. The reason why I'm confused about whether the image will fit is because of aspect ratios? But I think I'm just being stupid now, because surely I just have to calculate the aspect ratio of the circle screen and see that it matches that of my video circle...?
thanks again.

Okay, I see what you're saying. You'll want to fill the entire circle? Aspect ratio is still somewhat relevant: measure the maximum width and the maximum height (if it's a true circle and not an oval, they will be the same). Since the projector projects a rectangle, you'll have some wasted projected "area" not projecting onto the circle but you can adjust that in your video source if need be.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

yep thats what i thought...

the 'dead' area in my projection is anything outside the the circle crop that i applied to the video i made. the circle crop is a uniform circle so i take it all that's left to do is find the correct distance between the projector and the screen right?
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page