Need some input on a Zenith Pro 900 XR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of mine has one he no longer needs, I have never seen the unit in action so I cannot attest to it's PQ, but this thing is a beast...I'm curious as to their current value and also what they went for new. The model number is definately Pro 900 XR, not X.

The unit was not used much as he didn't really understand it that well....dunno but I'm very curious as to the PQ of these. My current display is a Hitachi 57X500 and it's a remarkable set.

Would the 900 match it in terms of PQ and or black levels or is it just to far gone to be even worth considering? Granted the 900 is 720P I believe but can it be upscaled with aftermarket goodies or does it display it's native 720 well enough to match 1080i?

The distance I would use it at would be 12-16' max and the largest size I would project would be 70-80".

I'm very curious as to it's potential but given its age, would there be a smaller unit that just blows it away for less than $500?

I really would like to give it a try before I say no so what are your recommendations to get it to it's full potential.

I appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by i6pwr View Post

A friend of mine has one he no longer needs, I have never seen the unit in action so I cannot attest to it's PQ, but this thing is a beast...I'm curious as to their current value and also what they went for new. The model number is definately Pro 900 XR, not X.
worth about 100 bucks with the remote and in working condition. Some people here would say if you took it for free you would be doing him a favor, not because it's a bad set but because the demand for these is very near zero
Quote:

The distance I would use it at would be 12-16' max and the largest size I would project would be 70-80".
it's nto going ot be 16 feet away, for an 80" screen the tip of the lenses will be 9 feet away and your first row of seats in a HT is usually directly under the CRT. This also solves the problem of walking under it or hitting your head. read this
http://www.curtpalme.com/Zenith900.shtm
Quote:

The unit was not used much as he didn't really understand it that well....dunno but I'm very curious as to the PQ of these. My current display is a Hitachi 57X500 and it's a remarkable set.
Would the 900 match it in terms of PQ and or black levels or is it just to far gone to be even worth considering? Granted the 900 is 720P I believe but can it be upscaled with aftermarket goodies or does it display it's native 720 well enough to match 1080i?I'm very curious as to it's potential but given its age, would there be a smaller unit that just blows it away for less than $500?
I really would like to give it a try before I say no so what are your recommendations to get it to it's full potential.
I appreciate any input
there is no native resolution on a CRT. This set would do well with 1080i direct from Blue ray but you will need something to convert either HDMI to RGBHV or component video to RGBHV. If you go component out on the BD player, it will output normal DVD's as 480P and require a second memory block set up for it in the PJ.
AFA the Hitachi, there's no comparison in my mind to a 57" diagonal TV and a 80" wide Horizontal 16:9 movie screen. One is like a movie theater, the other is is just a TV.wink.gif

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #3 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do it! Take the Red Pill and join the club.

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page