Several Newbie Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After using my Sony CRT HDTV for years and loving it, I've decided to make the jump to a CRT projector. This seems like it will be a daunting task, but I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject to make sure I'm up to speed before deciding which projector to purchase. I've gone through Curt's CRT primer and tried to gather as much information as I can, but I still have some questions.

First, I should mention that someone in my area is selling a Marquee 8500 for $200, and I'm strongly considering purchasing it. Before I pull the trigger, how do I find out the number of hours on each tube?

Other questions:

1. I watch a lot of 4x3 content (both HD and non-HD; mostly older films). However, I'd like to set up the projector to display in 16x9 format. If I do this, will the 4x3 content display in the same area of the screen (the middle, with nothing showing on the left and right of the screen) regardless of whether or not it is an HD source (i.e., a 4x3 blu-ray vs. a 4x3 DVD)?

2. Is the projector I'm thinking of buying set up to display in 16x9 or 4x3? If it's set up to display in 4x3, is it possible to mod it so that it will natively display in 16x9? If so, how difficult of a mod is this?

3. How difficult would it be to install the HDMI card? I would want to do this, as it would make my life a great deal easier.

4. How much are replacement parts -- specifically, the red, green and blue tubes?

Thanks very much in advance to whoever can answer these questions for me. I want to stick with CRT technology as I hate pixellation, but I know it will be more involved than simply installing a 15 lb. DLP projector and swapping out the bulbs every few years. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyguy83 View Post

After using my Sony CRT HDTV for years and loving it, I've decided to make the jump to a CRT projector. This seems like it will be a daunting task, but I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject to make sure I'm up to speed before deciding which projector to purchase. I've gone through Curt's CRT primer and tried to gather as much information as I can, but I still have some questions.
First, I should mention that someone in my area is selling a Marquee 8500 for $200, and I'm strongly considering purchasing it. Before I pull the trigger, how do I find out the number of hours on each tube?
Other questions:
1. I watch a lot of 4x3 content (both HD and non-HD; mostly older films). However, I'd like to set up the projector to display in 16x9 format. If I do this, will the 4x3 content display in the same area of the screen (the middle, with nothing showing on the left and right of the screen) regardless of whether or not it is an HD source (i.e., a 4x3 blu-ray vs. a 4x3 DVD)?
2. Is the projector I'm thinking of buying set up to display in 16x9 or 4x3? If it's set up to display in 4x3, is it possible to mod it so that it will natively display in 16x9? If so, how difficult of a mod is this?
3. How difficult would it be to install the HDMI card? I would want to do this, as it would make my life a great deal easier.
4. How much are replacement parts -- specifically, the red, green and blue tubes?
Thanks very much in advance to whoever can answer these questions for me. I want to stick with CRT technology as I hate pixellation, but I know it will be more involved than simply installing a 15 lb. DLP projector and swapping out the bulbs every few years. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing ahead of time.

Welcome to the World Of CRT Projection( or soon to be) wink.gif

The Marquee is a Great Chassis as it has many parts available and is still being made today in limited production at VDC display systems in Florida.

To see the hours you need to on the remote press Utilities>9 ( service) then the pass code 0910. In that menu there is the counter menu.

But its best to look at the tubes with lens's off to see the wear.

For different aspect ratios the Marquee can display them all. Just set up a separate memory.

Id get a 4x3 screen if you want to get the most out of each aspect ration. You'll end up doing a CIW set up or Constant Image Width. You'll be able to set up 4x3,1.78 and 2.40.

They make a HDMI card for this as well, about 300 dollars but well worth it. And I might suggest getting a Used Lumagen HDP or HDQ video processor to help set up all the resolutions and get good Greyscale and Gamma. They are cheap now, I have seen them from 150 - 300 dollars. Also worth it considering they were 2k new and these still have CMS/Greyscale. There is one for sale on E-bay right now.

There are some more things to look at but that will come as you get familiar with the Marquee.

So for a little under 1k you'll have a great set up. And tubes last for thousands of hours and can be kept bright with adjustments to G2 and Drive levels.

I think you'll like CRT projection.

where are you located? Maybe some one near by who knows CRT can help you set it up.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If your 4:3 content is more than widescreen, I'd strongly suggest you set up a 4:3 screen. Reason for this is you'll use a much larger area of the tube face and will get a better image. Also, you don't want the 4:3 material wearing a small wear pattern within your 16:9 image. That would be really annoying.

As for a Marquee for $200, it's a good deal even for parts, but beware that even a set of decent used tubes will run $400-500 if the ones in the set have wear plus the knowhow to install them. I sell decent 8" sets for about $1000, completely gone over with low tube wear, and a bunch of mods done to improve long term reliability. New tubes are $500 each plus installation. Boards are cheap, as are repairs, depending on the board.

HDMI card- slide it in, converge the set, you're good to go. Easy.

You should also read this if you haven't already:

http://curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #4 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

First, I should mention that someone in my area is selling a Marquee 8500 for $200, and I'm strongly considering purchasing it. .
Phil, make sure you grab the extra one in the basement he bought for parts. Have him throw it in to sweeten the deal. Talk him down a little too, the market o nthese is pretty much zero.This was one of the machines from many years back that were blown out of the old Lucent plant, Curt remember those days? there were like 50 of the dam things on e-bay all at one time smile.gif

I can do the 16:9 mod for you no problem, even while you wait if you bring it by. also, since it's a 1996 machine your going ot really want to fix the low voltage power supply problem, as all machines in this year had it.
At 40K hours on the chassis it might need a few other things done but I can help with all that too.
Phil I think if you have any doubts, stop by and see my 8500 first and you'll be convinced it's a great way to go true big screen.

Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #5 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

Phil, make sure you grab the extra one in the basement he bought for parts. Have him throw it in to sweeten the deal. Talk him down a little too, the market o nthese is pretty much zero.This was one of the machines from many years back that were blown out of the old Lucent plant, Curt remember those days? there were like 50 of the dam things on e-bay all at one time smile.gif
I can do the 16:9 mod for you no problem, even while you wait if you bring it by. also, since it's a 1996 machine your going ot really want to fix the low voltage power supply problem, as all machines in this year had it.
At 40K hours on the chassis it might need a few other things done but I can help with all that too.
Phil I think if you have any doubts, stop by and see my 8500 first and you'll be convinced it's a great way to go true big screen.

I actually live about an hour from Brighton, so I'd love to stop by and check it out. I'd be great to see it in action before I make a purchase as well as to pick your brain about these machines. I'll send you a PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

If your 4:3 content is more than widescreen, I'd strongly suggest you set up a 4:3 screen. Reason for this is you'll use a much larger area of the tube face and will get a better image. Also, you don't want the 4:3 material wearing a small wear pattern within your 16:9 image. That would be really annoying.
As for a Marquee for $200, it's a good deal even for parts, but beware that even a set of decent used tubes will run $400-500 if the ones in the set have wear plus the knowhow to install them. I sell decent 8" sets for about $1000, completely gone over with low tube wear, and a bunch of mods done to improve long term reliability. New tubes are $500 each plus installation. Boards are cheap, as are repairs, depending on the board.
HDMI card- slide it in, converge the set, you're good to go. Easy.
You should also read this if you haven't already:
http://curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.shtm

Curt, thanks for the response. I read through your primer and did a lot of other research on your site, which is tremendously helpful. If I don't end up buying this local one, I'll probably buy one from you. (At the very least, I'll probably be buying an HDMI card from you.) I should say that the reason I want to mod it for 16x9 display is that, based on the throw distance in my basement, I think a 4x3 screen would be too large, but a 16x9 screen would fit. While I watch a lot of 4x3 content, I think my 16x9 and 2.40.1 content easily outpaces my 4x3 content watching.

Do the prices on your site include shipping, or is that calculated separately?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I should say that the reason I want to mod it for 16x9 display is that, based on the throw distance in my basement, I think a 4x3 screen would be too large, but a 16x9 screen would fit. While I watch a lot of 4x3 content, I think my 16x9 and 2.40.1 content easily outpaces my 4x3 content watching.
projection screens are based on horizontal width, so a 92" wide screen is always 92" regardless of how tall it is. A 92" wide 16:9 is about 52" tall, which leaves room for a center channel speaker.
If you go 4:3, it will be almost down to he floor in a typical basement home theater.

Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #8 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
SHipping is separate, sorry, figure on $200-350 depending on what you buy and where it's delivered.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #9 of 10 Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

projection screens are based on horizontal width, so a 92" wide screen is always 92" regardless of how tall it is. A 92" wide 16:9 is about 52" tall, which leaves room for a center channel speaker.
If you go 4:3, it will be almost down to he floor in a typical basement home theater.

Okay, that clarifies things for me. So a 4x3 screen really would make the most sense for me, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

SHipping is separate, sorry, figure on $200-350 depending on what you buy and where it's delivered.

That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM

High five for joining the club! Don't forget the scaler too - I only realized how important they were when I brought the machine home and learned I had skipped an important step.

My setup is running via 4:3 too if you want an example. Granted, you should black out the sides but this setup is for less than a year anyway. Careful - CRT is addictive! Really good and funny guide about CRT projectors here. Also discusses the WAF issue which may or may not be important for you:

http://www.lynxxx.nl/barco/default.asp

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page