Laserdisc vs Bluray on CRT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have bluray and HD etc etc at home, but for my beach house Ive been keeping it an almost digital free zone. Ive been watching a small Btionvega Doney TV down there and I realised that resolution etc is not everything, sometimes a gentle image is quite pleasing too old films and 70's TZv shows.

So, remembering a 1252 Id seen that first got me into CRT, I grabbed a cheap 7" off ebay. Now, I never had a Laserdisc player, and Im wondering if that would be taking my retro theme too far. The projector can take 1080i and has a built in line doubler I believe.

So Do I put on my rose tinted glasses and go laserdisc or just grab a $100 bluray player and stick with one format?

Sound is no concern, Ill be listening mono smile.gif

Daniel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM

As someone who just watched a Laserdisc over CRT a few minutes ago, I guess I can speak to this one with a bit of experience:

Resolution depends on the viewer. Some people make a bigger deal over it than others. As a note, DVD via component is sharper and less susceptible to noise than LD over composite.

LD Players vary on their output via the type of player. Higher and more expensive model LD Players often have higher quality parts and put out less noisy pictures. I'm running an NTSC Pioneer D704 LD Player and the colors look great. They are sometimes closer to the actual film prints of the time than digital remasters, but don't tell anyone that in the BluRay section biggrin.gif

Since you are in Australia though and are using PAL, the Laserdisc story is a bit different. PAL LDs are often just transfers of NTSC masters. The picture benefit is minimal. Unless your collection or player mostly NTSC, you are unlikely to really benefit anything from the PAL releases.

As far as a line doubler goes, 1080i should be fine for regular "legacy" inputs. If you have the option, try 960 to reduce unnecessary banding (i.e. doubling the image exactly)

post #3 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
laserdisc is fun...and can make a good picture, but it's just not that practical anymore.

You will be stuck watching nothing but old movies....but, maybe you want that.

If you find an LD player with a huge stack of movies for a cheap price...maybe you should buy it...but, other than that, start with a blu-ray player and see how it goes.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 390
And if you want to watch a BD movie at standard def, just use the player's composite video output. (Although that option will be disappearing in future BD players.)

Of course, there are some LD titles which never will be available on either DVD or BD, but they're usually very specialized.

Selden
post #5 of 15 Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I set up my blu-ray player to watch some dvd's. Id never noticed the edge enhancement and compression artifacts on some DVD's before, but I notice it now after years of Bluray. Ive bought a bunch of old films on LD and it will be interesting to check them out. I dont mind a softer picturer with nice colors if it has a less digital look. Oh, and yes, I just want tonwatch old movies, 70's 80's to early 90's!
post #6 of 15 Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Laserdiscs use an analog composite video signal, so they certainly don't look digital !

While most LDs are higher quality than VHS, some of them aren't. Sadly, even the best Criterion LDs can't match the quality of well mastered DVDs. Just as with DVDs and BDs, some LDs have serious edge enhancement problems and some don't. Since they use a composite video signal, smearing of red text in titles can be quite noticeable, and credits often are almost unreadable.

I'm a "glass is half empty" kind of guy, but I have no plans to sell my substantial collection of LDs. smile.gif

Selden
post #7 of 15 Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I have my NOS Pioneer V2300 setup with my Seleco CRT projector using the nbuilt linedoubler and its all I hoped for. Has a lovely optical look, when watching Neil Youngs, Rust Never Sleeps, very average source material, there is a shot of a stage light shining through smoke, and its looks natural and gentle. Not hyper sharp, no pixels. Kitaros LD has some wonderful scenery which shows how detailed good LD can be. An original 70's LD on Sophies Choice, showed how time has progressed, it was soft. Anywhich way, relaxing too watch and not in your face.

What is interesting after 10 years of only digital, is how different good quality "broadcast" PAL or NTSC looks to digital. There are definately artifacts in digital that LD doesnt suffer (and visa versa). No one can deny they look different.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

A little late to the party here but figured I'd throw in my 2cents. I too love the analog look of Laserdisc. I've got 2 setups at the moment: a DVL-700 paired with a 60" LG60pk550 and some other cheapo pioneer unit in my basement as a backup. Upon hooking my main player up to my 60" LG, I was surprised at how good of a job the TV did scaling up a composite signal, and with a bit of tweaking I found that I could get a decent looking picture out of a middle of the road LD player.

I have a couple of recommendations for you. First, take a peek at this article if you havent already. It gives some great advice for using Laserdisc players with modern displays.

Secondly, if you haven't already, pick yourself up a calibration disc such as Video Essentials and calibrate your display. Wether it's digital or crt, It will help ensure that you are getting correct color representation off of your display for good viewing.

Cheers.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I had a LD player and a collection of LDs for things that didn't exist on a better format.

However,.. laserdiscs sound fine but look like crap.

I can't get back to 1986 or whatever time zone in which laserdiscs looked good... they are just junk.

(though this is only my opinion.)
(I have over a thousand Blu Rays and I may have adjusted to higher quality video by now.)

I regret that I still have 2 concert videos that never made it to a better format... but I can't watch them anymore anyway,... there's far to much nice video in the world now.

-Brian
post #10 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs View Post

Well, I have my NOS Pioneer V2300 setup with my Seleco CRT projector using the nbuilt linedoubler and its all I hoped for. Has a lovely optical look, when watching Neil Youngs, Rust Never Sleeps, very average source material, there is a shot of a stage light shining through smoke, and its looks natural and gentle. Not hyper sharp, no pixels. Kitaros LD has some wonderful scenery which shows how detailed good LD can be. An original 70's LD on Sophies Choice, showed how time has progressed, it was soft. Anywhich way, relaxing too watch and not in your face.

What is interesting after 10 years of only digital, is how different good quality "broadcast" PAL or NTSC looks to digital. There are definately artifacts in digital that LD doesnt suffer (and visa versa). No one can deny they look different.

You think the broadcasters aren't using digital files?...seriously?
post #11 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Cable and over-the-air broadcasts are usually highly compressed and thus degraded relative to most Blu-ray discs. Too often they're worse than DVDs. frown.gif

Selden
post #12 of 15 Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
you should try and get a player with an S-Video out, which is the biggest jump in VQ IMO. a much 'cleaner' pic when the luma and chroma? are seperated.....Of course your CRT would have to have S-Video also wink.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #13 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
svideo is only good if the the players comb filter is better than the displays...it's a composite signal, so...odds are that the composite connection is likely better.

LD's did sound great....some sounded really great.

Last time I had one I compared DVD version of Mission Impossible to the LD...the LD sounded so much better...fuller...etc. It's hard to even explain it.

Now I'm thinking of getting another LD player!!
post #14 of 15 Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 AM

i will do that , I've got 2 setups at the moment: a DVL-700 paired with a 60" LG60pk550 and some other cheapo pioneer unit in my basement as a backup. Upon hooking my main player up to my 60" LG, I was surprised at how good of a job the TV did scaling up a composite signal, and with a bit of tweaking I found that I could get a decent looking picture out of a middle of the road LD player.

p8u7BO

post #15 of 15 Old 12-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
fwiw I still have my pioneer elite ld player and have it connected via svideo on my nec xg projector. aside from the scan lines I have a great 108" dia image from std def video
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page