post #91 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbujit View Post

Hey mike here is a shot of the new neck boards with a stock VIM. NO alteration whatsoever... panny to moome

Thanks Steve

The above post was brought to my attention, so I'll address it here.

I saw it and asked "Why are you using a stock VIM?"

and based on the thread, no reply. However, I did get a call saying that the VIM had a problem with a line on the right side of the image, so the stock VIM was used. The VIM came to me with a problem of the green channel cutting out intermittently and when you wiggle to board. It was previously modified by me some years ago.

I also received a set of neck board to modify. So I modified the neck boards and repaired the VIM. The VIM was used when the boards were picked up from me. We did not put the neck boards in my 9500, only the VIM - it worked flawless in my 9500. And knowing there was a repaired VIM along with the neck boards, I was wondering why the VIM was not also used. There was no charge for the VIM repair.

It's rare that I would charge to repair a problem with any of my mods, and that regardless of when they were purchased. That's the way I've always dome it.

So the problem with the VIM is a line of the left side. The neck boards were reported to be OK. Why that particular shot, I have no idea.

The VIM is coming back to me, and I'll check it again in my 9500, but will likely replace it in hopes of solving a problem I'm not able to see on my setup.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #93 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
Fantastic shots Mike. What really impresses me apart from the clarity of the image is the saturation of the colors. Does it have to do with the new mods on the VIM?

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #94 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And for those if installing the latest neck boards, do not re-install the aluminum cover (pictured below).

That cover is an interference cover to prevent and isolate the neck boards from radiated noise. It has nothing to do with X-Radiation. X-Radiation protection or isolation is always associated with lead shielding (what you find around the front of the CRT's on a Marquee.

The removal of the shield allows the neck boards to ventilate better. You can also go one further and better seal off the Tube Assembly for better air flow to the neck boards. Not really necessary, but would make for a cooler neck board especially when running Full 1080P, which causes the neck boards to run hotter. Nothing really critical here, because I've been running and testing my 9500 without the tube assembly for years. I do the same with the test unit to make sure the boards can operate at long periods of time without any ventilation. The method for better air flow to the neck boards require only tape over the holes where the wires go into the assembly. I learned this practice a long time ago on the 24/7 Marquees. Those were the ones that usually had the burnt resistors on the neck boards.

Marquee neck Board Interference Shield

Marquee Tube housing

post #95 of 121 Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napos View Post

Fantastic shots Mike. What really impresses me apart from the clarity of the image is the saturation of the colors. Does it have to do with the new mods on the VIM?

Yes, but it's both VIM and neck boards. The color performance is really related to bandwidth and speed when running at full 1080P. You'll be able to confirm this yourself by using stock boards at that rate. The colors would be there, but they would be muted and you should also notice that the range of colors is limited. You won't see so many reds, greens, blues, etc. The better video chain will allow for better colors and better shades and grades of colors. And that's why it takes a ton of bandwidth to bring out facial complexions and the ability to actually see the makeup they would be wearing in the shots.

1080P when properly resolved is very colorful.

post #96 of 121 Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There ya go Kev. I fixed it for you.

Let's call these two shots the Natural vs the UN-natural - or maybe the Film Look vs the Artificial look..biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 View Post

My 9500 can mop the floor with any digital out there..

picture2669.jpg
X90-Baraka_zpse16c97b5.jpg
JVC DIGITAL Uncalibrated 1200 lamp hours

post #97 of 121 Old 03-09-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the missing modified boards that I shipped out of the country, did arrive..smile.gif

And they have also been installed. Below is an initial report (from email) on what was observed:

"Mike,
at first you know that I found the lines problem. I have the Lumagen CRT 3D box, a little box extender, that works as passtrough between Lumagen and Moome to get impulse to the glasses emitter. So I have connected directly the Lumagen to the Moome card into the Marquee. Corrected lighly the colour drive and very lightly the G2.

Only now I have crazy images: Gladiator, Red, King Kong, Grand Torino. New and never seen details, perfect colourimetry, and sharp sharp images. The last but very old problem are the two or three 1080p vertical lines on the very left edge of the image. It disappears when I change resolution. I remember that many time ago you wrote something about.

Absolutely your mods are superb and the best radical mod ever seen
Thanks"

I had requested a picture of the lines that was previously mentioned to me, to find out in this email to me (above) that the problem is what is also common on a Marquee when running 1080P.

post #98 of 121 Old 03-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Deleted top post and added 2 more.
Quote:

My 9500 can mop the floor with any digital out there..

CRT

JVC
X90-Baraka_zpse16c97b5.jpg
CRT
15d300b4_picture2321_zpsed8bf69d.jpg
JVC
X90-Baraka1_zps940bfea5.jpg
JVC DIGITAL Uncalibrated 1200 lamp hours
post #99 of 121 Old 03-10-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yo kev, are you aware of what happens when you apply sharpening to your images - especially when you apply too much?

And BTW, my shots have zero sharpening in the video chain, and they are not touched at all with any software.

don't you wish you could say the same thing..biggrin.gif

post #100 of 121 Old 03-11-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Yo kev, are you aware of what happens when you apply sharpening to your images - especially when you apply too much?

And BTW, my shots have zero sharpening in the video chain, and they are not touched at all with any software.

don't you wish you could say the same thing..biggrin.gif

Kevin I have to agree with Mike. Please don't get me wrong, your JVC is a fantastic digital projector. It is probably the only digital any of us CRTers could live with if we had to switch to digital. However, I believe that the image would look a lot more natural without the sharpness cranked up that high.
Also, the other thing I have noticed in your shots, is that the blacks have a magenta tint. For example look at the ink on the Indian' s shoulders and also on Anthony Quin' s headband in your shot from Lawrence of Arabia in the other thread for screenshots.
Once again, I am stating that I really like the image of the JVC projectors. I just prefer a more natural look, that is not altered by exaggerated sharpness settings. The magenta tint can easily be corrected through the CMS of the JVC or a video processor such as the Lumagen Radiance.

Nicholas

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #101 of 121 Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More from the same guy previously mentioned. He's running his Marquee at 1080P/75hz..eek.gif

"Today I found the right output resolution for the Sky HD sat material: the input for this source is 1080i and the o. Res is now 1080p/75.
Fantastic

Before the week is out I'll post some pics pn the AVS"

post #102 of 121 Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Kevin I have to agree with Mike. Please don't get me wrong, your JVC is a fantastic digital projector. It is probably the only digital any of us CRTers could live with if we had to switch to digital. However, I believe that the image would look a lot more natural without the sharpness cranked up that high.
Also, the other thing I have noticed in your shots, is that the blacks have a magenta tint. For example look at the ink on the Indian' s shoulders and also on Anthony Quin' s headband in your shot from Lawrence of Arabia in the other thread for screenshots.
Once again, I am stating that I really like the image of the JVC projectors. I just prefer a more natural look, that is not altered by exaggerated sharpness settings. The magenta tint can easily be corrected through the CMS of the JVC or a video processor such as the Lumagen Radiance.

Nicholas

Kevin,
I'm the last CRT fan to reply to your JVC wonderful images and I think that the Mike post is very hard in the words used.
But I know that Mike never had the objectiv to sell his mod.
And I continuosly search for the best image possible. I had always like the sharpness.
But in the reality you never can see the hard sharpness of your image. They are more naturally. Try to see a person face to face a get me a reply.
I'll try to post some pics in the weekend

Vincenzo

One of the most essential things of the life is to speak in the right moment and when you have important things to tell.
Otherwise you have lost an opportunity to keep silent
post #103 of 121 Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

A couple more

CRT

JVC
post #104 of 121 Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Hi Kevin. This is much better. In the previous shot with the old lady in the church you could clearly see a ringing effect in the outline of her body, caused by a very high setting of the sharpness control.
What camera are you using to take the shots. I believe that the settings on the camera also play a big role in the end result, since we are seeing a photograph of a projected image.
Could you post a shot with e-shift on and one with e-shift off? I suspect that CRTers will like the e-shift shot better.

Nicholas

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #105 of 121 Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

again, artificial vs natural.

Try once more Kev..biggrin.gif

Quote:

A couple more

CRT

JVC

post #106 of 121 Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 PM

Finally!!!
After the MP boards mods installed in my Marquee 9500 LC ULTRA and calibrated these are the results:

Vincenzo

One of the most essential things of the life is to speak in the right moment and when you have important things to tell.
post #107 of 121 Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking good..smile.gif

What resolution are you running your 9500LC at, and gives us an explanation of what you're experiencing between the new mods and the version you got a few years ago.

post #108 of 121 Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 AM

At first I'm sorry for the pics but I,ve not a great feeling with the camera. So I've token the bad picture size and the colourimetry is different respect the reality.
Anyway the results of the boards mods are under your eyes.
My chain has OPPO BDP 95 on 1080p/ 24 output into the Lumagen Radiance and from here to the Moome into the Marquee at 1080p/72Hz.
The new VIM and neck boards mods get more stability and a new real sharpness.
Now it is very easy to increase the contrast value (78 in my chain) without any radical colourimetry changes.
This is the best sensible and radical mod ever done in the Marquee.
Now the Marquee hasn't the colour management board that is in shipping to Mike to repair it. So it is impossible to adjust fine the zone colourimetry.
And it is a problem because my eyes see a better finish to get.
After more and more years and more and more digital projectors that get wonderful images it is fantastic to get these results from a very old technology.
But you can see that the reality comes out from the screen without lens and 3D.
I hope to get more and better images in the next weekend.
Thanks

Vincenzo

post #109 of 121 Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Some more pics by a Coolpix L12

Vincenzo

post #110 of 121 Old 03-18-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your shots are much better now. You should load them into a image service (I use imageshack). It will allow the shots to be shown full on the page without needing to click onto them. And you can chsoe the size you want them displayed.

Your shots are great, and they clearly show what I'm also seeing in mine, and you're running at an even higher bandwidth (1080P /72hz) than I am currently running mine. 1080P /72hz for some strange reason, looks better than 60hz, and there's no loss in sharpness..

I have one other set to arrive on the other side of the pond, and the very first person to have got them to post their evaluation.

post #111 of 121 Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Done!

Vincenzo

post #112 of 121 Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM

I just received my boards with the latest mods today! Here are my first impressions compared to my modded boards from 2006:

1) More vibrant colors - You can see more color graduations and everything looks impressive, but natural at the same time. For example, when watching a nature documentary, the green in trees is vibrant and saturated, but remains natural and doesn't look like neon green on LCD TV's.
I especially noticed a difference in the saturation of green and red.
2) Contrast can be set much higher without blooming ( mid 80s at least)
3) Sharpness and clarity - I have been reviewing some test patterns and the sharpness is freakishly good! The impressive thing is that there is no noise, or edge enhancement, just extremely clear detail and no noise!!!

In conclusion, I was very pleased with my previous mods from 2006, but the new mods have managed to top that and take my lowly 8500 to the next level!!
If you have a previous version of the mods, get the new ones. They will give you a visible improvement in sharpness and color reproduction.
If you have stock boards, you don't even know what you are missing!!! The new mods will take your Marquee to the next level!!!

The only problem that I have with the new mods is that I have become a National Geographic junkie!!! I just can't stop watching nature documentaries in HD, because they look so fantastic!!!

Thank you Mike!!! You have outdone yourself once again!!!

I love my Sky HD!!!
post #113 of 121 Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And while we were at it, we also improved on the Moome card mod. And we are also back to an 03 VIM - had to also bring that up to level..

Check this out..smile.gifFull 1920X1080 /60hz

post #114 of 121 Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mike... Absolutely amazing..eek.gif:

Kevin.. Your JVC must be broken, the image on my JVC dont look that artificial.tongue.gif

post #115 of 121 Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The image is softer, but the same distortions still exist. No need for me to do a comparison. This test pattern still shows exactly why your shots look they way they do.

Quote:

JVC E-shift 0 - E-shift on to hide screen texture so if others
want a comparison (if Mike posts his latest upgrade mods same test pattern).
Lamp is ageing so maxed output to show pattern properly.

post #116 of 121 Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

HDMI straight to JVC not going through amp this time E-Shift 3.
post #117 of 121 Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn Mike!!!! Having this focus at a contrast setting of 83 on a Marquee is sick!!!!! Congrats on the new mods!!!!
I am a very satisfied user of your previous mods. I have both the VIM mod and the neck boards mod since I believe 2008 on my 8500.
All I can say is that my tubes have over 13,000 hours on them, but my focusis even better than when the tubes had 0 hours due to Mike's mods.
The only issue I had was with low IRE detail, which was crushed after the modded boards were installed

I do want to let everybody know, however, that Mike did offer to fix that free of charge. However, I had already ceiling mounted the projector and it would be too much of a hassle to lower it and remove the boards.
I am compensating the issue with a gamma correction from the Moome HDMI card and a gamma correction from the Lumagen Radiance XS.
I did not want to change my G2 levels in order to bring out more low level detail to avoid raising the black level floor.

I cannot recommend Mike's mods strongly enough. They are by far the best upgrade I have ever performed on my 8500. Much better focus, sharpness, and ridiculously high bandwidth!!!

I've been spending the past two weeks trying to understand this problem napos mentioned in this post. he has received and installed the later version boards from me, to report that he's still having this same problem with the new boards. He also says the problem goes away with the stock VIIM board. I've had a problem very similar to this back in maybe 2006 or 2007 that was later corrected, and was with only one other person bringing it to my attention. Since then and before, I've never gotten anything but praise concerning low level performance. Craig Rounds has calibrated quite a few Marquees with my mods, and he always talk about how good the low end performs. He recently calibrated a Marquee back in December of November of last year.

Looking at the problem since getting the boards to napos has had me trying to figure out what could be causing the problem he's having. It was until last nigh when I got a phone call from beerbujit who posted the post below after coming over and seeing my setup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbujit View Post

Hey Mike, Thanks for letting me see your new IMPROVED mods. Once again I was floored at what I saw. For those following this thread the pictures on here DO NOT do the mod justice.As Mike said I could not see ANY blooming when contrast was taken to the max. I have to admit I was checking out the digitals a little bit and now, as before I think I'll keep the old dinosaur..On serious M.P. steroids though:D I really wish the pictures here would show the amount of detail in the blacks. You know Mike I have seen 5th element LOTS but it was once again a NEW experience. My hat is off to you Sir Mike, Now I'll just wait for my turn nicely and watch what I have... is it done yet?

So beerbjit came over and was blown away by what he saw on my setup. He later got a set of neck boards from me that had the very latest mods. And i had also repaired his VIM that had a short in it. He then installed the boards and reported back (on this thread) that he was operating his Marquee with a stock VIM, because HIS modified VIM when put in the projector caused lines on the left of the picture, and the picture still did not look like what he saw on my setup.

Anyway, I got a call from him yesterday, and from that conversation we both determined that his problem is his CRT's. This is something we knew from the beginning, because his Marquee 8500LC was in my shop way back in 2005 or 2007 or sometime between. At that time I had to replace his LVPS because it had high Filament voltage, and the tubes showed serous low end problem, though they worked and has been in use since then. But they were never able to focus thigh, or show 1800p resolved.

So after our chat last night, beerbujit is on the look-out for a set of tubes list.

Something I may have forget to mention is that the mods will not work properly if the tubes are not up to par. I've posted a thread on my forum that will allow testing for this before purchase. The test will show if the boards are workable for the mods, and will also show if the CRT's have been affected from high filament voltage.

Also, both Craig and I don't use the gamma in the moome card. All of the Screenshots I post do not use the moome cards gamma. It is disabled on my moome card. I don't use it because it does not adjust the gamma in a linear fashion. It ramps up the entire low end and this can effect the TRUE low end performance.

But as beerbjit indicated above: "I really wish the pictures here would show the amount of detail in the blacks"

My setup puts the entire low end on display. And it can do it without any gamma. I was just in the HT verifying the low end using DVE.

so over the past two weeks, napos and i have been shooting PM's back and forth. But the only thing I have not asked him to try is 1080P. The latest version of the mods should make 1080P easy to get resolved on a previously setup Marquee (8500 or 9500 60 or 72hz) but that's only if the tubes are 1080P capable. And if the tubes are not 1080P capable. They would also have low end problems.

The set I sent to Italy, once the boards were installed this is what was reported:

"New and never seen details, perfect colourimetry, and sharp sharp images" and he's running 1080P /72hz - he also claims that both 60hz and 72hz have the same sharpness.

Reported from Raphael:

"The Marquee's picture is now on a completely different level.
The picture quality is so amazing it is hard to believe it is so good. It gave the Marquee inky black blacks,
deeply saturated colors and is razor sharp just like Velvia slide film
"

So with only two projectors witt this low end problem, one has bad tubes for sure. The other I'll need to get jury out and await the results. If 1080P 60 or 72hz is not achievable on a previously setup marque after the mods are installed. And if the low end also suffers, there is most likely a problem with weak or defective CRT's. And on any set that has that problem, you would not only be missing low end performance, but the ability to reproduce the entire IRE is not there. Nor would you be able to see a full ramp test pattern. meaning no video linearity.

I can take a break now..cool.gif

post #118 of 121 Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No Gamma -- 02 VIM

post #119 of 121 Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gamma Enabled in my Panasonic Blu Ray -- 02 VIM

post #120 of 121 Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM

Update on the latest MP mods:

I was playing around with focus adjustments today and I suddenly realized that I no longer NEED to defocus blue electronically to get good gray-scale!!!
I can have all 3 tubes focused to the max and still enjoy good grey-scale! There is a SLIGHT blue bump in the mid IREs but there is none at the high IREs and you cannot even get a hint of that while watching real content.
I am very impressed! Well done Mike! Another unexpected benefit of the new mods!

I love my Sky HD!!!
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page