Just got a NEC PG9 Plus and tons extra stuff - advice needed on setup please ? ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone I just got my first CRT projector. It is a NEC PG9 Plus. I got this along with another PG9 Plus and a PG9 Extra both for parts or whatever. Also included was a HD Fury, a nice Pronto universal remote, a Pioneer CDL-S201 laserdisc player, and extra set of lenses for the PG9 Plus, a ceiling mount, RGB cables and more. I got all this for trading an old mountain bike I never use anymore and a small three wheel peddle car. Not a bad trade I think. Anyway the guy had the projector mounted on his ceiling and it projected a wonderful image. I got everything home and started on the setup. I am going to floor mount the projector because I want to mount a digital projector on the ceiling also. I downloaded the install and user manual from Curts website, I have switched the wiring to drisplay the image correctly when the projector is sitting on the floor and now I can seem to get an image to display. Every time I select the RGB input and try to run my DVD or bluray player is gives me a message of invalid signal. What all is going on? Any suggestions? Someone told me that I should start from scratch on setting up the projector, is this true? To display the image higher up on the wall can i tilt the projector up or do I just have to raise the projector and keep it level? This is my first CRT projector to setup and would love any advice, tips or help on getting it up and running please? I have setup hundreds of digital projectors but this CRT is a different animal smile.gif

Thanks,
Paul Kepner
Home Theaters Plus

http://www.home-theaters-plus.webs.com

Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc player
Pioneer VSX-1019-AH A/V Receiver

Sony ss-ts503 5 speaker system

Pinnacle Digital Sub 100 - 10" sub
65" Mitsubishi Diamond Series Projection TV
LG Bluray player
Pioneer Elite DVD Player
NEC PG9+ CRT Projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkepneriv View Post

Hey everyone I just got my first CRT projector. It is a NEC PG9 Plus.
Congrats.
Quote:
I downloaded the install and user manual from Curts website,
There's also an excellent PJ setup guide for mechanical & electrical alignment & convergence.
Quote:
Every time I select the RGB input and try to run my DVD or bluray player is gives me a message of invalid signal. What all is going on? Any suggestions?
The PJ needs RGBHV input; that's 3 colors and 2 sync signals. It won't take RGB component video. Easiest way to get a RGBHV signal is to use a PC and a HD15 to 5xBNC cable.
Don't try to use the HD15 connectors on the front of the NEC.
Those are RS-232 ports, and are not VGA inputs!
Quote:
Someone told me that I should start from scratch on setting up the projector, is this true?
Essentially yes. The PJ has to be squared up as best as possible to the screen. Then reset all PJ adjustments and start over. But there's no harm in using the existing alignment initially.
It's often said that NECs are the hardest to learn and setup, but it can be done. I think I've gotten decent at setting my PG6+ up. After each tubes and/or board swap, the fresh alignment seems to go a bit smoother. One trick is to try avoid using just one control to make a correction; often it's a combination of, say keystone & pincushion, tweaks to get good alignment & convergence.
Quote:
To display the image higher up on the wall can i tilt the projector up or do I just have to raise the projector and keep it level?
Ideally you should keep the PJ level or pointing slightly downward. Raising the front will require too much vertical keystone.
You need to provide some air circulation underneath the PJ anyway.

Watch out for a musty smell from the NEC, especially the first 15 minutes after power-on. That means you have leaking capacitors.

Regards
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Hi,

Download my setup guide from Curt's site. It's the Tinman and Feathers guide.

As was already mentioned, these projectors are now beginning to suffer from leaking capacitors, it's almost certain you'll have to replace a few.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page