Dwin hd700 convergence - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the forum and crt projectors in general. I purchased a dwin 700 for 70$ that came with remote and hdfury. It powers up but I am unable to converge all three channels. Is there something I am possibly doing incorrect? I've read the manual but cannot find what I'm doing wrong.

I've maxed out mechanical and electronic adjustments but still am very far off. Is it that I do not have sufficient throw distance? Only 6' or so. Image on individual tubes is sharp.

I will continue to fiddle with unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
there is no zoom on a CRT projector, and I don't know of any that will sit 6 feet away from a screen. The last time I looked the Dwins had a pretty long throw, like 10 feet to an average home theater sized screen.
Throw distance is important, read that section carefully in the manual and follow it or you will gte nowhere. Also, the electronic convergence cannot make up for poor alignment, the PJ has to be square and centered to the screen. The red and blue tubes have to be loosened and manualy pivoted in or out until they line up on green, THEN converge electronically.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I read the manual, gives recommended distance for desired screen size. No mention of minimum throw. And yes I am aware there is no zoom.

Maxed out adjustment on both lenses inwards. Blue wasn't too far off. Got it perfect with slight adjustment to raster. I know it's not good to make up for mechanical error and if adjusted too far off could cause tube failure.

I am 90% there in converging lenses. Image looks quite good very warm. I am figuring it all out. Lenses focus plenty well even at this throw distance

For some odd reason the Dwin does not show video signal when I send a feed above 420p. I can only imagine it could have to do with the settings on the unit itself. I can't quite imagine what else would cause that. Image has enough juice to resolve 420p, I assume voltage isn't the issue.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdanger View Post

I read the manual, gives recommended distance for desired screen size. No mention of minimum throw.
sure there is, right there on page 5. minimum screen size is 60 inches diagonal. Throw = screen size x 1.25 + 9 inches. For a 60inch screen minimum distance is 84 inches / 7 feet to the tip of the lens. So if your 6 feet or less it will not converge.
Quote:

For some odd reason the Dwin does not show video signal when I send a feed above 420p. I can only imagine it could have to do with the settings on the unit itself. I can't quite imagine what else would cause that. Image has enough juice to resolve 420p, I assume voltage isn't the issue.
what is your source? You don't set a cRT to accept anything, it automatically synchs to any signal that it is capable of receiving.Where are you getting 420P? the minimum from any DVD player is480P, which is the also the minimum the Dwin will accept. It can do 1080i and 720P as well.
The HD700 does require a negative sync on the horizontal and vertical cables, according to the Fury FAQ, the fury cannot force negative synch, it simply passes along what it get's.

http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfury-i/faq/
Quote:
My Barco requires negative sync to work. Does the HDfury output negative sync?
The HDfury does not alter the signal that it is fed in any way. If it is fed a negative sync signal, it will output a negative sync signal. If it is fed a positive sync signal, it will output a positive sync signal. You can use boxes from Extron or Altinex to invert the sync if required. To alter the sync to make it work with your projector, add an RTC2200 box to your HDfury setup. It adds others benefits (Center Picture and Gamma Adjustement) to the HDfury in addition to providing adjustable sync.

Lots of good info here
http://www.curtpalme.com/Dwin.shtm

post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have my screen at 55" just under, set projector length of room now.

Ps3 can be custom set up to display at set resolution. (420, 720, 1080i, 1080p) when set at anything above 420 the projector gets no signal. So this may be a sync issue? Interesting. It was my understanding that it synced automatically which is why I was confused.

I appreciate the reply. As of now I have the projector working well. The image looks really good albeit when ps3 set to 420p. Exceeded my expectations.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate the reply. As of now I have the projector working well. The image looks really good albeit when ps3 set to 420p. Exceeded my expectations.
it will synch to any resolution automatically,but the polarity on the horizontal and vertical sweep is source dependent. Barco's and the Dwin 700 require negative polarity on H & V, it's a PITA but that's how it is.
It's either that or you don't have the external power supply for the Fury, and it's barely running enough to do 480P but cuts out when it draws more power from the HDMI port (the HDMI port was never meant to drive a device like the Fury).
If you have the Fury external power supply, then look for a cheap Extron box on flea -bay. I have one here too I could send for $25. You run your video through the EXtron and set a jumper to force the polarity to Negative. It's on page 9 of the manual

http://media.extron.com/download/files/userman/RGB_109xi_112xi_RevD.pdf

post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for offer, I'll think about it. I saw a diagram using 7404 ic inverter. Very inexpensive option, there is a marvac electronics store by my house, hopefully they have it in stock plus the BNC connectors. I could prototype it with batteries and spare stuff I have lying around. If it works it would save me the headaches of buying more equipment.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have the power supply which hdfury wants a kings ransom for. It's only a 5v adapter. Most cell phone chargers are in that range but personally the hd fury is worth more than frying it with a junk pile wall wart.

I've seen others use the inverter chip with success so I will try that avenue first
post #9 of 11 Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You have to use the adjustments on the back of the tubes. One is for astig, the other set moves the image around.

Warning, high voltages in there, you have to do with set on, be very careful, could kill you.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have the power supply which hdfury wants a kings ransom for. It's only a 5v adapter. Most cell phone chargers are in that range but personally the hd fury is worth more than frying it with a junk pile wall wart.
I've seen others use the inverter chip with success so I will try that avenue first
not sure what your definition of kings ransom is but there is a solution for all your problems for 99 bucks. On Curt palmes forum they sell a gamm x booster for HD fury, at least I think it's made by them? Thyeey don't sell the fury anymore due to HDCP laws in the US.
This
http://www.curtpalme.com/GammaX.shtm

will
Drive your RGTB cables to any length
Force negative polarity on the synch
and fix the low end gamma problem all CRT's suffer from
to me a $99. fix for all that is a no brainer.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't know gamma x fixed sync issue. I will look into that

And 50 bucks for a very basic wall charger is just silly IMO
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page