Need help identifying two AmPro lenses I have - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New member here. I'm interested in projection systems and picked up these two AmPro lenses a few months ago. As I understand it, this company operated out of Titusville, FL and sold high end commercial single and three lens systems as well as some hardware for the USAF. I guessed this was old stock after their bankruptcy so I grabbed them. I have no projector to go with them and wondered what model(s) they would fit.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow, something I've never seen before. My guess it was for the Alice system, not CRT related, and very few were made.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #3 of 7 Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Curt, can you tell me more about this Alice system? Or is there a link to further information about it?
post #4 of 7 Old 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sorry no, it was a strange technology and I think they only made a couple of hundred units. It was a single projector device, and used a technology called 'light amplification'. Maybe someone on my forum will know, I think there was one member that had a couple of them at one point. I saw one 14+ years ago at the Boeing surplus store, but it was too beat up, and they wanted $500 for it, so I passed.

Post here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/index.php

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 11
Those lenses are for Ampro 7000 series Light Valve Projectors. They help that projector throw very short and very far distances the same screen size or larger with great focus. Price @ $4 to 6K each. I did have boxes of these which I dumped on ebay many years go. I also had the 7000 to 7400 projectors. 5 at one time. Unfortunately this was a great technology that Ampro was developing for commercial use but had a really hard time with the manufacturing of the light valves QC. They where created in dust free cleaning room and the outside vendors who made the parts had problems with manufacturing tolerances. It's unfortunate as it was one of the things that brought Ampro down. Sad Sad.

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
With time & patience I located the 13 M&K S-100B's I needed for my 13.2 HT build (double side surrounds) talk about timbre matching.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 11
Curt, can you tell me more about this Alice system? Or is there a link to further information about it?[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Sorry no, it was a strange technology and I think they only made a couple of hundred units. It was a single projector device, and used a technology called 'light amplification'. Maybe someone on my forum will know, I think there was one member that had a couple of them at one point. I saw one 14+ years ago at the Boeing surplus store, but it was too beat up, and they wanted $500 for it, so I passed.

Post here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/index.php

I also had 2 Alice 5000 Projectors.

This was A Large Bubble case aluminum case with a fiberglass molded top. It housed 1 Texas Instruments 3 chip DLP projector (1024x768 version) I believe ($30K). Ampro also incorporated a 1 to 1.2 GHz PC computer with windows 98 or 2000 on it. This was Ampro's Idea of boardroom projector with the computer built inside. There were many problems with this design. One being the PC ran the software for the Projector. In order to see an image the computer had to be on and helped you select the few inputs that it did have. Back then (The late 90's) Faroudja was a big deal. They had manufactured a very nice video board for removing Noise and video artifacts from the Composite and S-video inputs of the Alice. Back in the day I took one and used it as a outboard video processor in front of my CRT projector. It just used a 12volt DC input to power it up. It did a great job until I got a scalier. The Alice used 2 different lenses one for long throw and one for short. Ampro also had problems with these as well. To numerous to mention. I can tell to I showed great promise if they had only take the computer out of the projector software equation and made it upgradable for future board and processor upgrades.

I hope this helps you know a little bit about Alice...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/AmPro-Alice_5000.htm
for more details

Also this old thread is good with Alan Gouger using one for the weekend...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/67895/ampro-alice-5000-projector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperturef07 View Post

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.
With time & patience I located the 13 M&K S-100B's I needed for my 13.2 HT build (double side surrounds) talk about timbre matching.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Both of your posts are tremendously informative, Chris. Thank you! These commercial systems are far more complicated and original than I realized. And seemingly experimental too. I had hoped there were a way to reappropriate these lenses for use in an HD projector system but from what you've said, anything they were designed to focus and obtain light from was a monstrous undertaking.

If there is no way to achieve back focus for them, is there any reason you think they would be of use to anyone into the hobby? I'm used to expensive glass in the motion picture world and they look too good to relegate to being a desk ornament.

Craig

Edit: I just read the other thread link you posted with the 5000 review. It does sound like a lot of trouble to get those systems working. Ancient Pentium and Windows 95/98 dependency is indeed a strange choice for AmPro to have made but then again I remember how the computer world was in the 90's. Still, interesting though as these were state of the art in their day.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page