AVS Forum banner

For Sale: Sony VPH-1252 with Custom Hushbox/Enclosure - Best Offer!

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Curt Palme 
#1 ·
I'm hoping this isn't against the rules. I looked through the forum and didn't see anything (sticky threads, etc...) against posting items for sale here, but if it's in violation, please let me know and I'll happily move it to the correct area.

Long story short, I really, REALLY wanted to get a home theater setup and I was pretty excited about the idea of toying with a CRT projector and getting it going, but I just don't think it's going to happen, right now. I'm in the D.C. area and space is too limited. I'm never going to be able to get the proper throw distance and, even if I could, I just don't have the budget right now to invest in all the necessary accoutrements (a screen, a surround sound system, any converters/adapters, etc...). Having just moved to a new place, I don't foresee having a suitable space for at least another couple years and I'd rather not have this behemoth sitting in my living room that whole time.

I actually bought this very unit from a forum user here who was selling it on Craigslist. I traded a Kramer electric guitar, a case, and paid an extra $250 (something like that) on top of the trade.

It's a Sony VPH-1252. The guy I bought it from had used it in his home theater before upgrading to a nicer unit and had build a custom enclosure/hushbox. I'm selling both the projector and the hushbox. Besides being moved to my new house recently, it has sat unused at my house the past couple of years, with the tubes covered, just as when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said the tubes had fairly low hours on them, if I recall, and I haven't added anything to that. All I know is it powers on and it's too big for me.

I'll take the best offer I get. I'm in Alexandria, VA and am happy to meet someone within a reasonable distance. I'm also happy to provide pictures if anybody wants them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to burst your bubble, but with CRT projectors being literally dead in the water at this point, yours is considered an entry level set. it won't do 1080p or HD without accessories as you found out, so you might try throwing it on your local Craigslist for dirt cheap, like under $100, or give it away as a freebie.

I've parted out the last of the complete units I've had, as the only 12XX set I've sold this year was to a Karaoke bar that I put the same unit in 10 years ago. it finally wore out, so I gave the guy a deal and the $500 I charged him basically just covered the labor to get 3 guys way across town to install the new one. Other than that one, mine sat here for the last 5 years.

#4 ·
yup just as I figured, I can't even give the sony or the nec away.

I suspect that only the diehard fans of crt owners are keeping them, with most upgrading to digital sets.

Considering the bright & sharp image even my mid level epson projector produces, it's no wonder no one wants a 10 to 20 year old crt projector.

I just need to figure out how I am going to hoist the beast off the ceiling and then what to do with it, once it's uninstalled

#5 ·
Easy. Throw it on Craigslist for free. It will be gone within a couple of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.