ampro 4200g - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

is anyone still out there in the know about a vintage 1992 am pro 4200g. i salvaged a house and it is way too cool looking to toss and no shops in this area cares about it. i have complete manual, projector, quadrupler, remote. i have never been exposed to this and dont know where to start to see if it is worth it. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Ask over on CurtPalme.com there are more visits int e CRT forum. I have an Ampro3600 but have not played with it yet. I have too many PJ's.

it is a 9 inch set you have there and it should do 1080p using a HD fury or a Moome Ext HD hdmi to rgbhv box.

They throw a great picture once set up correctly if the tubes are not Toasty wink.gif

Athansios
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

thanks for the direction. i like the optimism of the possibilities but it seems like everything revolves around the tubes. there was some shaking during the move. are the tubes fragile enough that a bump would make a difference. 

Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarch View Post

thanks for the direction. i like the optimism of the possibilities but it seems like everything revolves around the tubes. there was some shaking during the move. are the tubes fragile enough that a bump would make a difference. 
no,they are not that fragile.read everything here

http://www.curtpalme.com/Ampro3600.shtm

and here
http://www.curtpalme.com/Ampro3600_Layout1.shtm

Quote:
All Ampros require a serial computer interface or a custom Ampro wired or wireless remote to operate and set up. Without either, the projector is useless.

The reliability issues of the earlier Ampros (convergence drift, power supply issues and CRT socket failures) were more or less resolved with these later models. Also, the larger chassis of the 8 and 9” sets eliminated the cooling issues of the smaller 7” sets. This makes a higher end Ampro projector a great bargain compared to the more expensive sets like NEC or Barco. Personally I find the Ampro fleshtones to be very close to my favourite NEC sets.

Lots of parts are available on the used/surplus market for these Ampro sets, and as with the Electrohome and Barcos, an 8” set can be used as a backup chassis for the harder to find 9” sets, as most boards will swap right over between the sets.

To see how these projectors rank in relation to other projectors for use in a home theater environment see the Projector Rankings page.

For full specifications on these and other projectors, see the Projector Specifications page.

For an overview and history of Ampro see the CRT Primer.

See the Advanced Procedures page for various DIY instructions on maintaining and improving CRT projectors.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarch View Post

is anyone still out there in the know about a vintage 1992 am pro 4200g. i salvaged a house and it is way too cool looking to toss and no shops in this area cares about it. i have complete manual, projector, quadrupler, remote. i have never been exposed to this and dont know where to start to see if it is worth it. 

Hi BCarch,

I use to have an Ampro 4200D Same machine different mods at Ampro. These were great machines. They put up a BIg picture. Focus @ 300" diagonal screen. It did depend on the lens used on that machine but you will find the setup manual to explain that for you. If you get a moome card I believe Curt told me the other day he has some available. Check with him.You will be enjoying 1080P without problem. The projector goes further (2500x2500 If I remember correctly Those digitals don't even come close to that not that they won't for consumers in the future) and the HZ side to 150Hz as well. Digitals are at 60Hz input. Some how our society favors cheap portable projectors over better quality images from a CRT. (Yep I own both D-ila and 9500LC CRT) But I had to go with the D-ila for the closest image and blacks to a CRT.

If you can while the projector is off shine a flashlight inside each lens and look inside and see how clean the face of the CRT. It should be clean white if its close to a new or low hour tube or some square shaped pattern burn. (The less burn the newer the tubes are or less use of them). But as long as it's not burned in shapes like icons, computer text or desk tops then most likely you will see a good picture. But even if there is some burn try out the projector any way and see what kind of picture you can get out of it.
Also look for murky glycol that is used in front of the CRT face. Look for bubbles in the very top. That's okay. I'm just trying to help you see the glycol. Also look for any leaks of that glycol. Any is bad and will need to be resealed. But before that you will want to remove all of that glycol and clean it out and replace the seal then replace with freash glycol. Some members here can help you find a good source for that.

These machines are not very hard to learn. I got so good I could do convergence setup without looking at the remote in the dark. It uses Static Focus with is a good technology and offers a nice basic setup menu built into the projector. The remote has a button for this guided setup. It takes about an hour or more depending. You will need some long Allen wrench's and a crescent wrench and or socket. Oh and a Philips screwdriver for opening the cover. When using the green screen menu's in setup remember to turn down brightness and contrast Below 50 in most cases. You will get to setup all that later after you setup alignment and convergence. I did find the Ampro's to give a very satisfying film quality picture for a CRT. It sure was fun owning it at the time. Just read the manual and read Curt's setup a crt pages and jump in to it. If it's to much work move on but if you find it's a good clean machine and you get it up and running with a Moome card and good quality images going in you should be very happy and just run it till it dies.
If anything make it a videogame projector in a game room.

Good luck to you and remember have fun,

OMG it's late I haop I made some sense to you in what I have said above...Good night

Chris

"The Boy has no patients" Yoda
"He will learn patience. Was I any different when you taught me?" Obi-Wan

Work is what we do to pay for our HT.