Blurry Spot/Cloudy with Marque 9500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was calibrating my projector when I noticed that a section of the screen was blurry while the rest of the screen was pretty sharp. If you look at the photos below you can see that the menu is almost completely blurry, but there is a section where the text/lines are sharp. In the Convergence photo you can see that the image looks cloudy in a lot of areas and sharp in another. The only time the convergence is fully sharp is when the lines are purple.

The image on live tv doesn't looked unfocused, but it is "cloudy" - definitely noticeable.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is this a fix that can be made easily or is this a sign that I might need to buy some parts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hello

There is some contaminant in the green LC that looks to have deposited on the tube face or the C element lens. This can be corrected but will require taking the front of the tube apart. Dragan here has the experience to take care of this for you. It may require digging the tube out of the hardware or replacing the bellows if the bellows is glued to the C element lens. You may want to look directly into the other lenses and see if they are starting to fog also.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am a bit handy so if this is a simple procedure then I should have a problem doing it. Are there any guides or diagrams that could help me do everything? What is the likelihood I just make things worse?

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello

I would not describe this as a repair for beginners; you can try draining the glycol and removing the C element lens for access. If the C element is glued in place then ship the tube to Dragan for teardown and a new bellows

--------------------
post #5 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
There's procedures on my site:

http://curtpalme.com/Marquee_LC_removal.shtm

Otherwise, I am selling new in the box green tubes for $650. that includes housings, yokes, etc. If your green tube is showing wear, that might be a far better way to go.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #6 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeeeeeaaah...once I saw "draining the glycol..." I kind of knew that I'd be contacting my local shop to come out. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but I have learned when I need to swallow my pride and do what is best for the machine. I don't have enough experience with CRTs to make those adjustments and have the confidence that I won't make matters worse.

As long as the projector does not require any additional parts or maintenance, would the $650 for the green tube be the most I should expect to pay to fix this specific issue (excluding labor)?
post #7 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello

That should be all of it. How many hours on the projector? A new green tube installed with 40,000 hour red and blue may have issues with setting good gray scale, as green might overpower red and blue

--------------------
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post

I kind of knew that I'd be contacting my local shop to come out.

As long as the projector does not require any additional parts or maintenance, would the $650 for the green tube be the most I should expect to pay to fix this specific issue (excluding labor)?

No, your local 'shop' will look at it and go.. whaaaaaaaa?????? smile.gif Best case, you'd need to find an old timer TV repair guy that knows CRT stuff, but good luck with that, most have retired or have died off. And no, I'm not kidding!

CRT is strictly a do it yourself thing at this point.

Tim is right, check the hour count first, to see where your other tubes are at. Check tube wear as well.

If the other tubes show no fungus/cloudiness, and the pix is nice and bright otherwise, a green tube should be it. Seriously though, changing the tube is a snap in these sets. Send me an email to curtpalme at shaw.ca and I'll link you to other areas of my site that show how to swap a tube. A nutdriver and Philips screwdriver is all you need. All the sensitive stuff is already prealigned with the tubes I have. Normally you buy a raw tube and HV lead, and have to seal it into the housing etc. Swapping a complete tube housing over takes less than an hour.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

The projector was included in a home purchase; from my understanding this was installed about 10 to 12 years ago. I do not know how much maintenance has been performed on the projector since its installation. In all honesty, I didn't even know there was an actual hour meter that could be checked. This will be done this evening or something this weekend - once I figure out how to do it.

A quick note about the "local guys". Since I moved in this house I've done majority of my AV purchasing at Best Buy and Natural Sound in Framingham, MA. They were the original guys who installed the Marquee and the other video/audio components. They have been very helpful in answering my questions and updating the home theater. They have the knowledge to diagnose and fix CRTs, but it would come at a price, of course. When I asked them what I should do with the Marquee they pretty much told me enjoy it as much as I could until something starts to fail and then replace it with some new technology. Depending on the hour count and other factors I might be looking into new machines soon. I am looking at it like a car: if I can put a few bucks into it and keep it running well then I will keep using it; but when it starts to cost me more to keep it running than the actual value of the machine and/or of a newer model then it is time to make a switch.

Thanks for all of your feedback! It is very appreciated.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess it all depends if you're comfortable swapping boards, etc in the set. If you can do your own oil changes, then you can maintain a CRT projector. if you're strictly hands-off with anything mechanical or electronic, then it's probably time to retire the set at this point. There is an hour meter in the menus, if you're interested, I'll tell you how to do it.

If you don't want to crack open the manual and get familiar with the set, then I'd say start looking for a replacement set now. there's no reason the set can't last another 7-10 years, but again, that's your choice, and you should be the one getting into the set.

post #11 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely a do-it-yourselfer. I'll build my own workbench than buy one at the hardware. Same with my kegerator. And it is the reason why I wired and installed all of my new home theater components. However, with all of the hobbies and commitments I have now, I don't know if CRT-tinkering is another one I should start. I know this Vision One/Marquee 9500 is/was top of the line and I want to keep using it, but I don't have the desire to keep throwing money into something I don't know I could correctly maintain myself.

On a related note I have a Vidikron Vision One for sale - has an HDMI card. Comes in black.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like you're the perfect Candidate for CRT. Keep in mind that a CRT isn't something that you should need to mess with daily, weekly or even monthly, I was just trying to gauge the level of DIY that you wanted to get into.

Swapping out a tube/changing glycol is about as difficult as it gets. Email me at curtpalme at shaw.ca if you want more info, and also regarding the sale of the Vision 1.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post

On a related note I have a Vidikron Vision One for sale - has an HDMI card. Comes in black.
A vision 1 is a marquee 9500 with a fancy fiberglass case, otherwise identical.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #14 of 14 Old 12-23-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
you may need to get new bellows.

Click the link in my signature.

Nashou
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List