2 remotes w/Nec xg 1100, and very limited remote functionality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure but I think a higher power is telling me it's time to retire my 2009 Nec xg 1100 projector.

I can turn the unit on and off via either remote but very little else.

any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I guess everyone, like me is clueless on this one, except Curt Palmer, for about 250 plus shipping a fix might be available.
Not sure if I want to put any more money into this dinosoar, I have a new tech unit on order. should be interesting to see the difference between a high end crt and a mid entry digital unit.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bad system board, if you don't want to try repairing it then you can try replacing it with a used one, just make sure it hasn't been messed with /no-one has mucked around with the trip pot adjutsments. 2 guys parting out XG's on Curt's forum. I'm guessing 40 to 50 bucks + shipping

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34936&highlight=system+board

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34027&highlight=system+board

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Curt wanted about $300 or so as I recall to have me ups the board set to him for testing and repair, toss in $40 for round trip shipping costs and the fact that I also need a new green tube soon, I figured it was time to go with a digital projector.
Not sorry on this at all, and I should have done this long ago.

problem is I have 2 crt projectors to deal with.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

part em out, Curt's for sale section allows any and all parts, tubes, lenses, etc. You can try CL too, but you'de have to offer it as "free pick-up" most likely. Or, a recycling center if you don't to bother with shipping parts for a few hundred bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Press 'ctrl' and 'display' at the same time. I'll bet the unit is in 'executive' mode.

If not, I may take the system boards out of the units..

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Curt, Thanks for the brilliant suggestion, ctrl + display re-enabled osd menu's. so now I have a working nec and a epson digital unit.
I'll let the rest of the crowd debate on which has the better image.

Too bad the Nec still needs a green tube and probably a blue and red in the near future to be restored to it's original glory.
At least now when I have nothing else to do over a weekend, I can do a reconverge and test my crt against my lcd.

For now, I guess I'll just have to make do with the Epson's inferior image that just happens to be brighter, sharper and in focus and converged but also does a 1080P and 3-d effects..
Another thought would be to see if I can find a cheap hdmi to rgb converter just so I can do a a-b comparison...

thanks again...
post #8 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post

For now, I guess I'll just have to make do with the Epson's inferior image that just happens to be brighter, sharper and in focus and converged but also does a 1080P and 3-d effects.. Another thought would be to see if I can find a cheap hdmi to rgb converter just so I can do a a-b comparison...

thanks again...
it's easy to be wowed by those things, but you'll soon probably notice the gray blacks and stuttering motion of LCD, not to mention the joy of your first $300. bulb replacement. smile.gif
The image from the NEC in areas of Sharpness and focus also shouldn't be significant;y inferior assuming your running HDMI direct into the XG with a moome card and not still up-scaling DVD?

post #9 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

actually, I find the black levels quite acceptable, and if you can trust the numbers, contrast ratios are vastly superior from the nec's ratings.
If I switch to high output mode black isn't as black as I'd like, but 2800 lumens is too much for my smallish room and screen size, even on economy mode the unit more than bright enough, But then I come from other wise dim crt technology.

Stuttering? none so far, but not exactly sure how to test, in films with rapid action or camera movement I don't see any undesirable effects. Camera pans are smooth, so not sure what the issue is.
The only downside is replacement bulbs every other year or 2 but at $150, not a major distraction. I have 200 hours after 2 months on a bulb rated for about 5000 hrs. Doing the math I figure about 2 years bulb life.
Even if the bulb lasts 1 year, you can buy a lot of replacements for what the Nec would cost to repair.
I suggest those who scoff at the idea of digital take a second look. This is my 5th projector and all I can say is wow, finally a unit that delivers a decent picture that I can afford and not have to constantly mess with.
And this unit is considered a lower end device, I can only imagine what one in the $2,500 to $10,000 price range looks like.

Did I mention the screen door effect, yup it's there, but who sits 2 ft or closer from a 110 in diag. screen?

Unfortunately, the Nec didn't support hdmi and the cost for an after market device and tube replacement costs just didn't make sense. I wasn't able to run this unit higher than 1600x1200 due to loss of focus, so HD content was scaled down and SD was up-scaled.
The image quality was certainly acceptable, but seriously, I was getting tired of the constant alignment and upcoming service cost just didn't make it worth the time and expense.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbailey View Post

Unfortunately, the Nec didn't support hdmi and the cost for an after market device and tube replacement costs just didn't make sense. I wasn't able to run this unit higher than 1600x1200 due to loss of focus, so HD content was scaled down and SD was up-scaled.
well if your tubes are worn out then your switch makes perfect sense, but I would have ot add that if you never even tried a moome HDMI card you didn't really see what the machines full potential was. Oh well, it's a bit of nostalgic history for you now.
Not sure what you paid for the Epson, but for $2500. last years JVC DILA projector like a RS60 would have been the best buy IMHO

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page