Basic cleaning of my SONY D50 (with pictures) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, Happy New Year to you all!

Yesterday I had some free time so I grabbed the chance to wipe and clean the outside cover of my CRT projector, a SONY VPH-D50 HTM. Then I thought it would be a good chance to check the cooling fans for dust. So I opened the cover and saw quite some dust on the fan feathers. What a great opportunity to have a look in the inside world as I had never opened the projector before.

In the beginning I tried to clean the rear middle fan from the back with little success so I removed the 2 screws and cleaned it from the dust. On the other 2 fans it was impossible to remove the screws because in there there's no space available for the screwdriver. Then I checked these 2 hinges on the rear fan assembly so after removing one screw each on the left and right side I was able to lift the rear panel and easily remove and clean all 3 fans. The only fan I could not access and entirely clean was the small UC fan. The only thing I could use was an ear batton and clean a bit the outside of the feathers. Do you know guys if a D50 has any other fans except 3 large rear ones and a small UC fan; I couldn't spot any other, front or rear.
I cleaned as much as I could in the rest of the inside with the help of a soft brush and a vacuum cleaner, closed all panels with the hinges and the D50 was nice and clean back to service. Easy and fun!

Here's some pictures of the process I would like to share with you. Enjoy!

(By the way, it's amazing how big even these 7inch crt projectors are. If you see just some pictures of them alone you can't estimate how big they are. It's only when somebody is near the projector or working on it that you can understand the sheer size.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All right, thanks to Curt Palme I found how many fans a D50 has. 3 big on the rear, a small video fan (UC fan) and another small in the power supply:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=325384
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page