post #31 of 57 Old 02-20-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFryia View Post

Other than a test pattern or similar static image you would be hard pressed to see any geometry errors in video or film sources. I'm surprised you had issues with the Sony.
If the CRT had air coupled lenses blooming can be a problem. I believe all high end projection CRTs have liquid coupled lenses.

I think the "breathing" he was talking about was not blooming but an unstable power supply. When the image went from dark to bright (or vice versa) it took a half-second or so for the geometry to stabilize. This was a common problem on low-cost computer monitors in the 80's.

A high-end CRT does not have either of these two problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 02-21-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post

Hehe wait until someone breaks into your residence and takes your digital toy. My Sony and NEC projectors would take a couple of people to move. Let's
say I'll be dead before my projectors ever give out with new spare CRT's in storage. I still see Sony G90's listed on eBay for above $10K. Like fine wine
someone will want one.

As for digital pictures simple minds like simple pleasures. In the real world what you see is never that sharp unless if your DNA is Superman DNA
which I doubt it is. Digital will never ever match the true blacks of a CRT.

Hehe I couldn't resist.

Have you seen a jvc x500 side by side lol ,have a look at that black compared together hehe.
Like i say this even proves me more right you guys live in the Stone Age.
Today we have alarms and cameras installed so not much of a problem, but forgot that
This do not exist in stoneage LOL. Just to get back at you hehe
Simple pleasure well the simplest way to get the best picture is pleasure. And 10K for a Sony g90 is way to much, but for enthusiasts maybe.
Same with me the Sony vw1000 way to expensive but some still buys it hehe.
Remember I also have CRT if that was better I would use it. I have noting against CRT just that I like to say fact any the truth not fairy tails.
And this is my appinion after many side by side tests.
If you have a friend with a jvc x500 let him come and do a side by side in your cinema.
Then you will understand me. But again we like what we like and I respect that, but for me fact is fact.
And the best thing you will see it clearly all I say.
And forgot sharpness you say that you never se it that sharp in real world.
What planet are you living on. Any digital or CRT is not even close to the sharpness you see in real. So not need super DNA to see sharper outside in real world. Nice one hehe.
post #33 of 57 Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I haven't added anyone to my ignore list for quite a while. welcome.

btw - please don't reply. I won't read it. Of course if you feel it'll make you a better person by all means knock yourself out.

Hehe biggrin.gif
post #34 of 57 Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post

Have you seen a jvc x500 side by side lol ,have a look at that black compared together hehe.

Why no I haven't because all of my friends have CRT's. We saved money by not jumping on the newest technology train.
Suffice to say owning a "trunk monkey" is all I need for security. No failure on a power outage. hehe
post #35 of 57 Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Why no I haven't because all of my friends have CRT's. We saved money by not jumping on the newest technology train.
Suffice to say owning a "trunk monkey" is all I need for security. No failure on a power outage. hehe

You are right. By getting the newest and the best that costs. And by being on the newest tec train you also lose much money when selling.
But you only live once. I love watching movie and I loved it just as much when I was into CRT,my first CRT was when I was 21 years old
And I had CRT for 15 years, but when I got my first JVC I think 6 years ago the was no going back.

And I have changed at least 10 digital since then.
That because I missed the CRT blacks like talked about. And that is true. But it's also much more to just the total black in picture. In the new 2014 jvc x500 and 700 and the sony vw1000 you be amazed to see how god the digital world have become. And CRT blacks is history and everything else also for me.
I compare before I say something, and also to find the best. But it costs. But so does a new CRT. And for me there is only JVC and sony that satisfies me at this time. Then from 0 ire- 100ire. And I have them both. This is just my opinion and trust me I have tested so many times, that is why I can be strait true. And security,,,:)I have innocence so is something happens I get a new.
smile.gif
post #36 of 57 Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 AM

Liked: 10
I still have my NEC 6PG extra running, very happy with it. No, it does not quite resolve 1080 lines of HD but still throws a very nice picture if other things than resolution are considered. Could problay be better still if dialed in once in a while, something I have not done for many, many years...

Once it does break down I'll go digital but not before that! And built like a swiss watch, it probably has many more years to run.

Meanwhile I'm glad to be able to "save" the money for a digital on other things, like a new freediver wetsuit & dive computer, a sudden expensive car repair etc.
post #37 of 57 Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasW View Post

I still have my NEC 6PG extra running, very happy with it. No, it does not quite resolve 1080 lines of HD but still throws a very nice picture if other things than resolution are considered. Could problay be better still if dialed in once in a while, something I have not done for many, many years...

Once it does break down I'll go digital but not before that! And built like a swiss watch, it probably has many more years to run.

Meanwhile I'm glad to be able to "save" the money for a digital on other things, like a new freediver wetsuit & dive computer, a sudden expensive car repair etc.

The same here. Oh, probably at one time I thought I had to have the newest stuff out there but I suppose once you get older and wiser it really doesn't make that much difference.
Ha, not that there is much worth watching anymore with movies and TV out there. It's even been a few months since I have even watched any movie using my projector. At times
I have even considered selling everything from the velour curtains to the speakers since I rarely use it anymore. Even going to the movie theater is a rare event.
post #38 of 57 Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:

The same here. Oh, probably at one time I thought I had to have the newest stuff out there but I suppose once you get older and wiser it really doesn't make that much difference.
Ha, not that there is much worth watching anymore with movies and TV out there. It's even been a few months since I have even watched any movie using my projector. At times
I have even considered selling everything from the velour curtains to the speakers since I rarely use it anymore. Even going to the movie theater is a rare event.

Then I stick with a tv with that kind off use hehe.

To get the newest stuff you have to be really interested In the best picture possible. That is how I am. Price not limited, but need to fit my wallet. And there is a lot of bad **** out there also that cost much. I test all before I buy, do side by side tests and there is only one winner. The best.
Then for my eyes, and I spend some time each week watching movies. And really enjoy a perfect picture upscaled 4K for the last 2 years.
That's the whole idea for me. When you have seen HD how it should and meant be shown. You just saying what a F.....
If you feel wow on what you have then no problem, but don't say it's better.
And I respect that 100%
post #39 of 57 Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM

I am asked by many who have not watched a movie on my projector when am I going to switch to digital? I reply; "when I see one that looks better in my HT, is as reliable and doesn't cost the moon, maybe I will". If they end up accepting an invite to see a movie on it, many ask; "The picture looks so clean, where can I get one of those?"
post #40 of 57 Old 02-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winduptoy View Post

I am asked by many who have not watched a movie on my projector when am I going to switch to digital? I reply; "when I see one that looks better in my HT, is as reliable and doesn't cost the moon, maybe I will". If they end up accepting an invite to see a movie on it, many ask; "The picture looks so clean, where can I get one of those?"

Then have what you own and do not do a side by side test. Just a hint😉
post #41 of 57 Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winduptoy View Post

Well most people except for Dj Dee (hehehe) when they see something in a HT they like it regardless if the source is via CRT or digital.
99.98% of the people wouldn't know the difference. I'm not putting down your CRT just pointing out the majority of people don't run
around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to find the best picture.
post #42 of 57 Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Well most people except for Dj Dee (hehehe) when they see something in a HT they like it regardless if the source is via CRT or digital.
99.98% of the people wouldn't know the difference. I'm not putting down your CRT just pointing out the majority of people don't run
around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to find the best picture.

Except me hehe correct I want that things get better, so I can have my hobby.
And about people not knowing the difference I think you are 100% wrong. Maybe if they don't see something else that day or locked them up.
Not that a CRT give a bad picture, because it does not, I repeat does not. But things have become better. If you take 100 persons in a room then showing best CRT and a digital that I pick lets say a jvc x500 or a vw1100
Not one person in that room then except you guys maybe then Hehe, would pick the CRT. Why?
Many resons. Maybe the biggest visible is lumen and punch, debth, cleanness, picture dynamics and big sharpness differences. Also clean colour because of more punch. And size, and you can be a monkey and still be able to get a perfect adjusted picture.

There are many positive things about a CRT also you guys and me know all that. But time need to go forewords and new tec is the future. Fact.
post #43 of 57 Old 03-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Check out "Gravity" on a high end 9 incher !

Simply stunning.
AVfile likes this.

9 inch CRT
post #44 of 57 Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTopo View Post

Check out "Gravity" on a high end 9 incher !

Simply stunning.

Jepp simply stunning when not put side by side with the best of home cinema digital.😱 so do not do that just a hint.
And I know that you have a brilliant CRT 😉
post #45 of 57 Old 03-08-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Digital cannot match the so important low key scene and dark scene in more than 50-70% of the movies compared to say a Barco cinemax 9inch with moome gamma card. Period. Yes I own both digital n crt. Of course digital has many other benefits as well but those who have experienced what a true black that crt can do wil find it hard to go digital. Dark knight, zero dark thirty etc etc etc.
post #46 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

Digital cannot match the so important low key scene and dark scene in more than 50-70% of the movies compared to say a Barco cinemax 9inch with moome gamma card. Period. Yes I own both digital n crt. Of course digital has many other benefits as well but those who have experienced what a true black that crt can do wil find it hard to go digital. Dark knight, zero dark thirty etc etc etc.

I understand that you have no clue about the new PJ digital today. CRT rock hehe
post #47 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 AM

Likewise DjDee have no clue what a proper 9inch CRT is all about. Hehe
post #48 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Likewise DjDee have no clue what a proper 9inch CRT is all about. Hehe

You wish. Have seen manny 9" and have still 3 friends with 9" in their cinema.
Don't say that is bad in any way just you go blind on what you have,and that things is better in 2014.

I have over 20 years with different PJ and many CRTs
So you have probably right hehe do not know what a proper CRT look like.
lol.
post #49 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 AM

20 years doesnt guarantee thar you have seen a proper crt setup which explains why you do not realise the true benefit of crt.
post #50 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:

20 years doesnt guarantee thar you have seen a proper crt setup which explains why you do not realise the true benefit of crt.

And I know no one that can hehe
Not being rude now but I think that more than you guys on this forum have seen a god cine 9 or 909 Barco
Only one word to you stone age.
post #51 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 06:42 AM

Same to you DjDee double stone age. Hehe
post #52 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Same to you DjDee double stone age. Hehe

That made sense hehe +1
post #53 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post

That made sense hehe +1

One of the benefits of CRT's is the radiation treatment you can get. I know on the Sony G90 there is a safety mechanism that the projector either
shuts down or won't come on if you take the lens assembly off of the front of the CRT.

Could it be with digital the owners get a warm and fuzzy feeling because they are being microwaved from the inside? hehe
post #54 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:

One of the benefits of CRT's is the radiation treatment you can get. I know on the Sony G90 there is a safety mechanism that the projector either
shuts down or won't come on if you take the lens assembly off of the front of the CRT.

Could it be with digital the owners get a warm and fuzzy feeling because they are being microwaved from the inside? hehe

Not with digital that I know hehe, but now I understand every post here on this forum thanks😉
post #55 of 57 Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

We all want to defend our choices. I have owned every crt there is to own(very few exceptions). The last one was a Barco Cine 9.

I went digital in 2007. I have a JVC paired with a Lumagaen Radiance which I can tune greyscale, cms and gamma. Movies like
Gravity and Enders Game look stunning and imho better than it did with the Barco Cine 9.

I regulary see top end crts and I wouldnt trade back. Dont misunderstand me - I loved crt-projectors for 15 years, and
they still can beat and rival most of the digital projectors, but only the very top 8" and 9" EMF crt projectors. And
they better be in good condition and be skilly installed to do that.

Per Johnny
post #56 of 57 Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny View Post

We all want to defend our choices. I have owned every crt there is to own(very few exceptions). The last one was a Barco Cine 9.

I went digital in 2007. I have a JVC paired with a Lumagaen Radiance which I can tune greyscale, cms and gamma. Movies like
Gravity and Enders Game look stunning and imho better than it did with the Barco Cine 9.

I regulary see top end crts and I wouldnt trade back. Dont misunderstand me - I loved crt-projectors for 15 years, and
they still can beat and rival most of the digital projectors, but only the very top 8" and 9" EMF crt projectors. And
they better be in good condition and be skilly installed to do that.

I think that most of my CRTs came from you, and CRT has its charm and a perfect tuned 9" gives a very god picture.
and what you say is also what I have experienced. I think that everyone here that have a CRT lives with the old fact and still believes that it's like this in 2014.
As long as you're happy with what you have it does not matter. But things is better,if it was not I think that both you and I stick with the Barco or marquee 9".
post #57 of 57 Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Per Jonny what kind of PJ did you change out your cine9 with?
And why did you change.
Why I want you to tell this is, I do not know anyone with so much Crt experience that you have here in Norway.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page