CRT ceiling projectors still the bomb with HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 128 Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
New CRT troops? Joined 2014 hehe or just hide name?
I joined because after 10 years my CRT finally died. If i found a 1209s while dumpster diving, you'd find me bragging.

So far not even a $100,000 projector can match the black level and reliability of a CRT 6
yet.
Debonaire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 128 Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
I joined because after 10 years my CRT finally died. If i found a 1209s while dumpster diving, you'd find me bragging.

So far not even a $100,000 projector can match the black level and reliability of a CRT 6
yet.
So now we can talk without throwing ****.
I got my first CRT PJ for over 23 years ago and I have had 7 different.
I have not seen any PJ that can match a CRT 100% on black level down to zero. And reliability Yes if you are lucky. But for me that is not all.

Last edited by Dj Dee; 08-01-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Left something out.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #93 of 128 Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am not getting into this.

Deb,
There is two 9" pjs on ebay in California at what I would consider good pricing.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #94 of 128 Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I am not getting into this.

Deb,
There is two 9" pjs on ebay in California at what I would consider good pricing.
The 9500LC for $1,250?
Debonaire is offline  
post #95 of 128 Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
The 9500LC for $1,250?
9500 LC ultra 935 dollar or best offer.
4-500 its yours Hehe
Dj Dee is offline  
post #96 of 128 Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post

To bad that one day in the future you all gonna say **** that Dj dee guy was right.
I'm off . Enjoy SD 👍

Whoever is running SD on an 8" or 9" crt is way out of the crt loop.
Tedd is offline  
post #97 of 128 Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Whoever is running SD on an 8" or 9" crt is way out of the crt loop.
Hehe
Dj Dee is offline  
post #98 of 128 Old 08-11-2014, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Had a closer look at a Barco 909 reality and tested this beside a JVC RS20. Then switching images. The bulb on the jvc about 1700 hours and about 99% brightness match in 100% ire on both.
Screen 120 inc white.

And tested on HD material pictures and film.
The RS 20 is now and old and outdated PJ that the new models are much better on absolutely everything. And I mean much.
But wanted to see for my selves without judging anything again.
And if someone else, say something else THEY DO NOT WANNA SEE IT.

And no one can tell me that a 909 looks better in ANY possible way than a jvcrs20 on HD material/ blueray. Of cores closing down to zero lumen the Barco was better in some extreme dark scenes, but deeper dark black on the JVC and much better black when just some light on screen.
Also shadow detail better on the jvc
But in any other picture on screen the jvc rs20 was MUCH better.
I would use, in an other league. And that RS20 is OLD.

So like this thread CRT still bomb with HD. We'll for ME definitely NOT. You see it so clearly that why bother backing it up.
standing close to the screen with this Jvc rs20 you see pixels. But not even close to see it in sitting distance. So a nature like picture is far a CRT comparing it side by side. If you say yes to this you have not seen HD. The JVC RS 20 had some poor motion in film compared to the CRT. But using 60hz looked better but still some better on the CRT after what I saw. what I have seen before the biggest problem on OLD jvc models are motion in my eyes. That is so much better on the new models x500-x700.
I tested a sony Vw90 against a cine9 and motion about the same in 72hz. Then I could not say who was the best on motion, Then in film material blueray. And also that test or what it was just the same like here,in all factors. Even the CRT guys saw this.

On test patterns, like motion resolution a CRT will win big time.
But not visible in film,like I see it.
The HD material gets so extremely soft compared on the 909.
But if you watch the 909 from the start your eyes get used to the softness and you accept it.
1080P works well on the CRT 909. But not even close like a god digital shows 1080P today.
End of story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	207202  
Dj Dee is offline  
post #99 of 128 Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
dj,

One thing I don't like about digitals is how the image constantly dims with a bulb compared to a crt tube. That doesn't bother you?

Maybe that LASER led Epson 3LCD-Reflective will solve my problem.
Debonaire is offline  
post #100 of 128 Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
dj,

One thing I don't like about digitals is how the image constantly dims with a bulb compared to a crt tube. That doesn't bother you?

Maybe that LASER led Epson 3LCD-Reflective will solve my problem.
Depends on what PJ the jvc x500 . Vw1100 does not in my eyes at all. What kind of PJ are you talking about that does that?
No it does not bother me at all, and I have had CRT for a looong time... And digital have constant light. So you must talk about iris. If you see the optoma led you are right light go up and down with the iris used. But on jvc or sony it is natural. And you get so so so so so much more in picture quality. Cleanness, sharpness, dynamics, debt, resolution, better black in bright and normal scenes, punch and so on The only thing and only thing is the total total dark shutting down tubes when no info in picture. And that is cool.
But with the x500 I will say that also is no longer a thing..it's so close on that to.

Last edited by Dj Dee; 08-11-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Dj Dee is offline  
post #101 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A bulb dims about 10 times faster than a crt tube.

What you do is clamp down the iris on a new lamp and open it up as it dims?

That wouldn't allow you to use the dynamic iris. Plus that seems like a lot of trouble. I don't. understand how a front projector is different than a rear projector. My family and friends with them look like garbage as the bulb dims. One of them had a CRT RP and regrets replacing with a digital. Then a new lamp to make the image better which doesn't last long.
Debonaire is offline  
post #102 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
A bulb dims about 10 times faster than a crt tube.

What you do is clamp down the iris on a new lamp and open it up as it dims?

That wouldn't allow you to use the dynamic iris. Plus that seems like a lot of trouble. I don't. understand how a front projector is different than a rear projector. My family and friends with them look like garbage as the bulb dims. One of them had a CRT RP and regrets replacing with a digital. Then a new lamp to make the image better which doesn't last long.
Ok so you talk about lifetime.
A CRT tube in my eyes changes also. But not as much as a bulb. Correct. And light dimes faster when ages on a bulb. Then you can buy a new one. And still when I change it it's more punch than a CRT. A 1700 hour jvc RS 20 same light as a 909 with around 7000 hours. But yes tubes last longer, but not the same quality all the time. After what I have seen.
I have used my vw1000 for over 2 years and now around 1000 hours but still over 3times the punch than a CRT 909. So then your point?
Dj Dee is offline  
post #103 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you're looking for value, a G70 can be had for about $600. What used digital would be equivalent for $600? Is it possible?

Not talking about a unit with a bulb on its last legs that the owner would rather replace with a new projector. Because that means after replacing the bulb, we're looking at about $1,200.
Debonaire is offline  
post #104 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
If you're looking for value, a G70 can be had for about $600. What used digital would be equivalent for $600? Is it possible?

Not talking about a unit with a bulb on its last legs that the owner would rather replace with a new projector. Because that means after replacing the bulb, we're looking at about $1,200.
4-600 dollars on eBay you can get a marquee 9500lc ultra but still in my eyes you get what you pay. CRT is old technology and still have some cool feature but up to HD quality today, then after what I have seen, so far from value for the money. Then when you look at quality in picture.
And value for the money in my eyes are not a CRT today 2014.
Then you forget all values in a picture what I feel.
But value for a long lifetime picture if not a critic yes.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #105 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Member
 
Debonaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A friend if mine bought a Sanyo projector before it was Panasonic. The color filters were burned before the second lamp. If something other than the lamp needs replacing, your projector is toast. Sanyo said he was abusing the projector besides normal movie watching, "a projector isnt meant to be viewed like a television." Has this changed with digital?

I don't want to baby the projector.

Where are you finding 9500LC for $600 on ebay? The ones I see must have been used as military simulators and have about 35,000+ hours on the tubes. The reason the military would get rid of that is the tubes are toast with no more emission even with maximum G2.
Debonaire is offline  
post #106 of 128 Old 08-12-2014, 02:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonaire View Post
A friend if mine bought a Sanyo projector before it was Panasonic. The color filters were burned before the second lamp. If something other than the lamp needs replacing, your projector is toast. Sanyo said he was abusing the projector besides normal movie watching, "a projector isnt meant to be viewed like a television." Has this changed with digital?

I don't want to baby the projector.

Where are you finding 9500LC for $600 on ebay? The ones I see must have been used as military simulators and have about 35,000+ hours on the tubes. The reason the military would get rid of that is the tubes are toast with no more emission even with maximum G2.
Now you talk about low end digital. I do not know any of them.
Many people buy low cost digital and expect the best. And then say that my old crt was better. And yes if you buy a digital PJ price up to 1000 dollar; you must understand that it's a reason for the price. You can't compare that together with a jvc x500 or a vw 1100. Most of the normal digital pj today show HD material much better than a crt ever will manage with or without mod.And that's the topic and correct answer in my eyes NO

look at eBay. Give a offer
Dj Dee is offline  
post #107 of 128 Old 08-24-2014, 03:19 AM
Member
 
tanwn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok I have to make a confession. I bought jvc x700 after viewing a demo in bat cave. I upgraded my screen to 112" wide 2.40 scope. I am now truly and utterly blown away by it. I am satisfied with the black etc etc etc except auto2 iris which flicker at some difficult scene. I finally came out from my stone age cave. Djdee you were right, my ..... I wil leave my cinemax on top for old time sake n be impressed by the 112" width scope. I am so thrilled now, movie watching is in another league now.
tanwn1 is offline  
post #108 of 128 Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
Ok I have to make a confession. I bought jvc x700 after viewing a demo in bat cave. I upgraded my screen to 112" wide 2.40 scope. I am now truly and utterly blown away by it. I am satisfied with the black etc etc etc except auto2 iris which flicker at some difficult scene. I finally came out from my stone age cave. Djdee you were right, my ..... I wil leave my cinemax on top for old time sake n be impressed by the 112" width scope. I am so thrilled now, movie watching is in another league now.
That is good for you, congratulations on your new setup. My intention is only to say what I see when comparing. And I stick to the fact.
But you still can have fun with both. :relaxed:
Dj Dee is offline  
post #109 of 128 Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
Ok I have to make a confession. I bought jvc x700 after viewing a demo in bat cave. I upgraded my screen to 112" wide 2.40 scope. I am now truly and utterly blown away by it. I am satisfied with the black etc etc etc except auto2 iris which flicker at some difficult scene. I finally came out from my stone age cave. Djdee you were right, my ..... I wil leave my cinemax on top for old time sake n be impressed by the 112" width scope. I am so thrilled now, movie watching is in another league now.

That is great. You might want to go over to Curt's forum and give your impression.

I can't wait to see what JVC and the rest are coming out with in a couple of weeks. If I really like one of the new pjs, then I may jump to the digital side as well.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #110 of 128 Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
That is great. You might want to go over to Curt's forum and give your impression.
I think that would be interesting to do.
Curt P him selves called me a troller for saying what I saw hehe
Dj Dee is offline  
post #111 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It wasn't for what you saw. It was for other reasons.

There are a couple of guys over there that have switched to digital including Kal. He wrote up his impressions of his new JVC last year.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #112 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
It wasn't for what you saw. It was for other reasons.

There are a couple of guys over there that have switched to digital including Kal. He wrote up his impressions of his new JVC last year.
The only reason was that I said the fact now in 2014.
I have done that form post 1. Nothing else.
But when people attack me verbally I must have a chance to strike back. So no other reason, but it might have been direct, but the 100% fact.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #113 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Curt Palme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 18,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Eric, I should ban you for even SUGGESTING he come to my forum. I don't want idiots there, thanks, there's already enough, including me.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- CRT tech info


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-pro audio website
Curt Palme is offline  
post #114 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I assume you are referring to Dee, but both he and tanwn are already on your forum.

Besides, if you ban me then I will make a call to the border patrol to keep you from attending the BBQ/blend meet.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #115 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I assume you are referring to Dee, but both he and tanwn are already on your forum.

Besides, if you ban me then I will make a call to the border patrol to keep you from attending the BBQ/blend meet.
He was talking to you.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #116 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Member
 
Nodscene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is it just me or does anyone else think Dee and tanwn1 are the same person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I assume you are referring to Dee, but both he and tanwn are already on your forum.

Besides, if you ban me then I will make a call to the border patrol to keep you from attending the BBQ/blend meet.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
Nodscene is online now  
post #117 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodscene View Post
is it just me or does anyone else think dee and tanwn1 are the same person.
lol.
Dj Dee is offline  
post #118 of 128 Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post
Eric, I should ban you for even SUGGESTING he come to my forum. I don't want idiots there, thanks, there's already enough, including me.
An idiot is a person that says what is the fact or a person that got a digital?

So an idiot is a person that buys a digital.

Nice to know...
Dj Dee is offline  
post #119 of 128 Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 856
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think Dee and tanwn1 are the same person.
Just because Dj Dee and tanwn1 sees that the CRT days are gone along time ago, does not mean they are the same person. But of corse it means they are total idiots!

Regards
Andreas


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by Andreas21; 08-26-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Andreas21 is online now  
post #120 of 128 Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Dj Dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Just because Dj Dee and tanwn1 sees that the CRT days are gone along time ago, does not mean they are the same person. But of corse it means they are totall idiots!
Hehe +1:
Dj Dee is offline  
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off