AVS Forum banner

Sony Projection System

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  draganm 
#1 ·

I have an old Sony Projection System I bought in 1981.Its a KP-5020.The system looks like a table with screen not attached.My problem is the bulb in the color green is out.It appears dimmer.Can I replace it myself?

#2 ·
Guaranteed it's not the tube, at least that's my guess. I guess with the age though it could be, but I'd be more suspicious of something in the video or G2 circuit. Problem is, everything including the tubes is now discontinued for this set, so unless you find a donor 5020, you won't find any parts out there for it.

I know the units well, I worked on dozens in the late 80s, but haven't seen one for 20+ years now.

#3 ·
Budman,

that thing isn't worth repairing unless your able to repair circuitry on your own. People are giving away better units all the time. Check with CL or post a "wanted Free to a good home" add in Curts FS section. Something like a Sony 12XX series or other electrostatic set will even do the lower-end of Hi-def, 1080i , etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.