Finding a CRT Projector in Australia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys, just joined.

I had a few questions regarding CRT projectors. Currently I have an old LCD XGA projector for a "cinema" if you can even call it that.

I don't have much money, so I won't be getting any super high end 1080P projectors, but I have been thinking of going CRT? I've been reading a lot of threads on this site actually, about all the different makes and models, how they work, multiscan/quad etc. It's nothing like what I'm used to dealing with... 

But I can't find any. I'm in Australia (Specifically Sydney), and I've seen a couple on eBay but after researching the particular model, I've found that it's probably not worth spending the money because it doesn't have a fast enough refresh rate / can't really be pushed higher than 480i I believe? I've been thinking of trying to get something like a Sony VPH-1270 or maybe VPH-1031QM? 

I'm still learning about them, and hope to get one eventually. My question is, does anyone know where I could obtain one? Even if it's damaged or fails to start, I have a reasonable understanding in electronics which helps, but I assume spare parts are very scarce!

Oh and I'll throw in a very quick extra question! I know somebody who still uses a CRT TV. It's one of the last CRT TV's Sony manufactured I believe, very modern, flat screen, all that. But the flicker. Oh god the flicker. If I can easily see flicker on a modern CRT, flicker that drives me mad, will this possibly be an issue on a much older CRT projector?

Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Try joining here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/index.php

There's more activity on that site (not a shameless plug, it's true), and there's more than one Aussie with more than one projector there. You're right, there's very few CRT owners comparatively speaking on a worldwide basis, but someone there might be willing to give one of their old sets away.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
wow, A D50 for 500 and a G70 for a thousand. sure wish they were still selling for that much here!

Definitely got for the 12XX series over the 10XX Sony's. This isn't bad for almost no money to learn on play around with. Good for 720P progressive so no flicker

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-CRT-Projector-VPH-1251QM-SuperData-/271455573875?pt=AU_HomeEnt_Projectors&hash=item3f34035773

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You will also need a video processor with the CRT projector to get a good video image. You should be able to pick up a good one also.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post
You will also need a video processor with the CRT projector to get a good video image. You should be able to pick up a good one also.
If PC is your video source you dont need any processor..

These days many almost every machine has good video processors so usually u dont need any other devices..
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page