HELP! I need assistance troubleshooting an Electrohome ECP2000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the world of CRT Projectors, having picked up my ECP2000 off Craigslist a few weeks ago. Up until tonight, things were working great. Using the NTSC Input to display the analog signal from my DirecTV box, things worked well. However, I am not having much luck using the RGBs input to connect to my computer.

I received my Extron RGB 109 Plus device today and hooked it up between my computer and the projector, with my monitor hooked to the pass through on the Extron box. Everything worked fine for a few minutes... before the picture started to shake and slowly diverge into two nearly identical images (narrower versions of what should have been appearing) squished to the left and right side of the screen. The NTSC input is still displaying correctly... only the RGBs input is experiencing this issue.

My current hypothesis is that the computer is outputting an interlaced signal, while the projector can only handle a progressive scan signal. (IE: 540i vs 540p) I'm pretty certain I can force my video card to output a progressive scan signal using the ATI Catalyst software... but Windows 7 seems to have compatibility issues with Catalyst. Before I downgrade my computer to XP, I wanted to to make certain I was on the right track... or if there is another explanation for the problems I'm having.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance you can give!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok... I found another version of Catalyst that is supposedly compatible with Windows 7 (the version I had before came with the latest drivers for my ATI Radeon card and wasn't compatible with versions later than Win XP) I'll try it tonight.... Keeping my fingers crossed!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hello

ECP2000 is only good to 38khz, try a lower resolution from the PC

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try 480P and go from there. Your computer is outputting progressive signal, your projector should be fine but like the post above, the bandwidth is limited so 540P may be pushing the old circuitry too hard.

You can also try negative sync.

----------------------------------
|| /OOOO\./OOOO\ ./OOOO\ ||
| |OOOOO||OOOOO||OOOOO||
|| \OOOO/.\OOOO/ .\OOOO/ ||
----------------------------------
\_______________________/

post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I have the resolution and refresh rate set as low as they will go (56hz / 640x480) but am still experiencing issues. The strange thing is, I watched an entire episode of Futurama via Netflix using the projector without issue, but less than 30 seconds after starting Serenity, it started shaking and splitting again.

I struck out on installing catalyst on my computer... I'm not sure whether it is conflicting with the XP version I installed yesterday, or if there is another underlying issue on my computer.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Adding to the intrigue... I decided to just leave the projector alone when it started acting up. I quickly discovered a pattern to the behavior of my projector...

When it was acting up, For EXACTLY three minutes, the picture would be perfectly fine.

After that, the picture would begin to shake and eventually diverge into two identical, yet narrower images. Then the two separate images would begin to shake and eventually merge. I bet you couldn't guess how long it took to go through the shaking-split-shaking and back to normal stage.... EXACTLY three minutes.

Shaking image - about to split

Starting to split

Fully split

Split image - shaking and about to merge

I timed through five cycles... each time, it was exactly three minutes of a good picture, followed by three minutes of a flawed picture.

At this point, I'm wondering if my Extron box is malfunctioning. It is SUPPOSED to detect that I have only one Sync cable connected to my projector and output a composite sync.

Is it worth picking up a BNC Y connector and hooking both the H Sync and V Sync from the Extron box to the composite sync port on my projector? I know this isn't a good long term solution as it would risk frying my video card... but would it hurt to hook both up temporarily to test?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I think (again) I may have found my answer..... Although this doesn't seem to address the cyclical nature of the issue I'm experiencing, it at least addresses the main symptom.
Quote:
Double picture on the screen

If you see two equal images on your monitor screen side by side, the reason for this is that you are sending the picture to the monitor at exactly double the HSYNC rate it can handle. This particular monitor happened to sync to every other of the HSYNC pulses (some monitors sync like that and some don't sync at all in this kind situation.). Two images side by side is caused by the fact that you see two picture scanlines side by side on the monitor screen. This double image problem occurs for example if you try to send a standard VGA (640x480 mode 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz HSYNC) picture to a monitor which can handle 15750 Hz HSYNC rates (some monitors work like that and some do not sync at all).

To solve this problem you have to change the screen monitor setting on your graphics card to halve the HSYNC rate the card sends out so that it maches to the value that your monitor wants.

Google can be your best friend... once you figure out the right terms to search for!

Looks like I need to continue fighting my computer to get a clean install of Catalyst as I can't find a way in the standard Windows 7 controls to adjust HSYNC rates.

Wish me luck!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hello

Long time since I've seen an ECP2000 but see if the H Hold knob will pull out and allow manual hold adjustment.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Chris, why are you doing this to yourself ? smile.gif Electrohome quit building the ECP in the mid 80's and Curt's web-site doesn't even talk about it
Quote:
The Electrohome ECP series has been a very popular 7” ES focusing set. It’s easy to set up, relatively reliable and shows a good image. I've sold hundreds of these over the years with excellent results.

There were several models and generations of ECP projectors. The first model unrelated to the other ECP series was the ECP 2000. It came out circa 1984 and had a unique prism setup internally to the projector so that all three CRT’s projected out of one lens. This model is now considered obsolete and will not be covered in this website.

What I'm trying to say is people are giving away CRT projectors that will blow that thing out of the water even if it was running perfectly.
Do yourself a favor and go and grab this FREE G70, it will shock and awe you with it;s image quality at 720P-72Hz, 1080i 96hz, or higher.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/pho/4366399151.html

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #10 of 10 Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
First rule about ECP 2000s: Don't talk about ECP 2000s. biggrin.gif

Chris, Dragan is correct. I have worked on a couple of these, but even I ditched my last one in the dumpster before I moved way back in 2002! If there's a free G70, even with badly worn tubes, it will run circles around the ECP 2000.

If you insist on working on the 2000, then go into the power supply and H boards and replace all electrolytics on them. No guarantees that that's the problem, but it likely is.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Reply CRT Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page