Searching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings......Could anybody tell me where i can find a blue picture tube for a toshiba 57h84r. I had a Sears technician come by and he stated that the blue tube was inoperable and that this model was discontinued. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You may want to check these sites or contact them. These were a few that I checked when I was looking for replacements for a Magnavox rear projection CRT TV. It helps if you maybe know the part number.

http://www.encompassparts.com/

http://www.andrewselectronics.com/welcome.aspx

http://www.pacparts.com/default.cfm

This one you may have to contact. I could never get their parts search to work.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

Other than that then the fall back is eBay.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 11:52 AM

What did he mean by inoperable? Could it be that just the coolant fluid needs to be changed and the coolant chamber cleaned also? It may appear dim because of the contaminated fluid.

I cleaned and changed the fluid in all 3 CRT's of my TV and it was like new. Probably cost me less than $50 or there about to do it myself.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

The technician said that i needed another blue picture tube because mine didnt work anymore and he also said that the tubes are discontinued for this model.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot!!!!

post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Where did you get the fluid to change out you CRT's and is your TV the same model as the one i have 57H84R??

post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM

From MCM Electronics

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-4275

I ordered 3 bottles and had maybe 3/4 of one left over.

My TV is a Magnavox. It was pretty easy to do. The assembly holding all 3 CRT's I could unscrew and pull it to the rear and tilt it up to get to the cap on the fluid chamber.
I went and bought one of those syringes at the grocery store used to inject turkey's with basting fluid and bought from an auto supply store a small rubber hose that
would fit over the end of the syringe and used that to suck out the old fluid.

On the Magnavox it has four bolts that hold the optic lens on with a seal under that. I removed that lens and cleaned the inside of the chamber and face of the CRT.
Reassembled and used the same syringe set up to refill the chambers. My CRT's also has expansion bulbs and I made sure those were flat and empty before
reassembling too.

Two things to do are to label every connection and know where to reconnect. Towels under the CRT's to catch any fluid and keep it off of any electronics.

Each TV is made different so I can't really tell you what you need to do. You might find a Youtube demo. I used one to help me.

Replacing a CRT now that is different cat so to speak. I've only done that on my SONY CRT projector. That requires convergence and when messing with those
you have to be aware to discharge the CRT before even handling it.

The fluid change I had to do some convergence touch up. You need to find a service manual to give you instructions on how to do that. My convergence wasn't off
that much so I used the service menu to adjust it. I didn't mess with sticking my hands inside to adjust the magnetic rings. With a CRT change you will have to
do a mechanical adjustment of the mag rings. A wrong move and zap you could get electrocuted.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:23 PM

I would see if I could find someplace else to do the work if you don't think you can do it. Sears, I would question their ability.
Probably have to find some independent place then again who knows how they good they would be too.

I called one place to have some tech check my TV because it wouldn't come on. Gave me a quote $$$ to replace a board and
I said I'll call you. I went out on the www, found the problem, replaced a opto coupler chip myself and now it works and saved
myself a lot of $$$.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Wait a sec. Before you go changing fluids (it's not like the crucial headlight fluid for cars ...(grin))

If there is NO blue tube light output at all, I think that the Sears tech is an idiot and has no idea what he's talking about. you most likely have problems in the video amplifier section of the set, and unless you can read schematics, and do troubleshooting, you'd need to find a tech to do that.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #10 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM

That's what I was thinking too. To burn up a CRT especially a blue one the contrast would have to have been full blown high.
Probably something in the electronics is all that it is.

Magnavox like mine was known to have CRT fluid problems.

Finding a good local tech, that can be a real problem anymore and that is no joke.
Reply CRT Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page