Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
asset or liability?

Seems to old CRTs are less valuable than boat anchors, at least boat anchors have salvage metal value.

Trying to figure out best thing to do with an old 1272. It is a shame as it works but been stored in garage for years and needs to go.

Free is better than having to pay a dump fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtrader View Post
Seems to old CRTs are less valuable than boat anchors, at least boat anchors have salvage metal value.

Trying to figure out best thing to do with an old 1272. It is a shame as it works but been stored in garage for years and needs to go.

well if you have a Moome card installed, or even an old HD Fury HDMI converter, then advertise it as "HD Ready" on Craigslist for 150 bucks and it will go. The machine will do 1080i and 720P all day long, and the picture ain't bad at 80" horizontal width. Still a pretty good sized screen even by todays standards where a "big TV" is still 60" diagonal and starts at $800. for a cheap one.
If your looking to recoup what you paid 10 years ago for it then sorry but that ship has sailed.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #3 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtrader View Post

If it's like most places if you set it out by the street curb at 8 am by 9 am it will likely be gone.

I know it's a shame. I have 2 Sony 1271's, one in use and the other one retubed and a NEC XG110 in storage.
I don't think I would part with them. Well maybe the day I die.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
If your looking to recoup what you paid 10 years ago for it then sorry but that ship has sailed.
sailed? more like sunk like the Titanic. I was a very early adopter and there were very few around in the residential arena. I could buy a decent used car for one today.

Maybe some charity can use one. I'd be happy to set it up but as we all know they need TLC from time to time for tweak here and there and these adjustments must be made by a skilled/enlightened person.

It is just hardly believable that so much technology and electronics are nearly worthless.

Oh well. Maybe it will stay in the crate in the garage collecting dust and taking up space for awhile longer.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Put it on Craigslist for free. Why not let some hobbyist or college kid have the enjoyment of playing with it?

A CRT projector has done well, being worthless after 20+ years. Any new technology is worthless now in 3-5 years.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 29
LOL, most women say I am worthless after spending a day or two with me.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #7 of 14 Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Huh... I recently thought about upgrading from my 1252 (which I still use regularly and am still amazed by the lighting effects possible only due to the black point) to a 9PG Xtra but was wondering what to do with my 1252. After reading this thread, I'm thinking once again (like I did before) that maybe I should only bother with an upgrade if I could score a cheap 9" set.
Of course... if one has a 9", one probably either hangs on to it or charges more than I can afford - understandably... :/
post #8 of 14 Old 07-18-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
Huh... I recently thought about upgrading from my 1252 (which I still use regularly and am still amazed by the lighting effects possible only due to the black point) to a 9PG Xtra but was wondering what to do with my 1252. After reading this thread, I'm thinking once again (like I did before) that maybe I should only bother with an upgrade if I could score a cheap 9" set.
Of course... if one has a 9", one probably either hangs on to it or charges more than I can afford - understandably... :/
I hear ya. I keep seeing Sony G90's on eBay but still way out of my price range. Of some that I have seen on the low end of bidding the CRT's are pretty much shot. Rarely if ever do I see replacement CRT's listed. Luckily I have a couple extra new set's of CRT's for my Sony 1271's. I'm not sure which will happen first, me dying, bad electronics in my projectors or no more CRT's.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Well... it seems to me that it makes more sense to wait for huge OLED TVs instead of prices for 9" CRT projectors to drop.
At least 80" would be good enough for me. And there would be no calibration issues and no crushed blacks in order to achieve perfect black.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

80" TV's are still $3K starting price. I've seen nice 9" machines selling for $1K if your patient but you have ot do your homework or you can wind up with something that needs another $2K in tubes

post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post
80" TV's are still $3K starting price. I've seen nice 9" machines selling for $1K if your patient but you have ot do your homework or you can wind up with something that needs another $2K in tubes
Well... I'm not talking about TFT. There are no 80" OLEDs yet. I think.
As for 9" machines - maybe in the USA but I haven't seen one for less than 5000€ or so in central Europe.
And I don't really want to spend more than about 500€ on anything anyway... Got my 1252 for 300€, so I was really happy about that.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h4d0w View Post
- maybe in the USA but I haven't seen one for less than 5000€ or so in central Europe.
add your location to your prifile so we're all talking about the same thing
I've seen comments from EU people who talk about very cheap 8 and 9" CRT's, like this guy in Finland
Quote:
marquees are ridiculously cheap, "local" fellow was selling some older complete projectors, he had 8 or 9 of them at 50usd a piece but got no takers in a long long time..I thought about picking a few for spare parts but I already have way too many crt+s and wife is bugging me every week to get rid of them..
of course if your happy wit the sony 12## then that's the best thing. You can really chase your tail and empty your wallet with this hobby.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post
add your location to your prifile so we're all talking about the same thing
Haha I guess it's about time I did that, yes.

"marquees are ridiculously cheap, "local" fellow was selling some older complete projectors, he had 8 or 9 of them at 50usd a piece but got no takers in a long long time..I thought about picking a few for spare parts but I already have way too many crt+s and wife is bugging me every week to get rid of them.."

Wow, that's crazy cheap o_O

"of course if your happy wit the sony 12## then that's the best thing. You can really chase your tail and empty your wallet with this hobby"

Ah, I'm not worried about that. Being relatively happy with my 1252 gives me the luxury to wait for a good deal and if none comes along - that's fine as well.
Still, it would be lovely to have a machine that can properly project 1080p, is more comfortable to setup and better at maintaining convergence and has a remote. I'm guessing the 9PG Xtra would be an improvement regarding the last two things. But it now seems to me that lugging around those projectors and probably having to give away my old one is only worth it if I get the improved resolution as well.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
That right,have a couple extra new set's of CRT's for my Sony 1271's. I'm not sure which will happen first, me dying, bad electronics in my projectors or no more CRT's.thank you
Reply CRT Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1271's, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page