Computer to Sony 1271Q? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Computer to Sony 1271Q?

I have a Sony 1271Q hooked up to a Faroudja LD100 through an older consumer Onkyo receiver and DVD player to watch movies. Is it possible to add a laptop to this configuration so I can watch online videos? I know almost nothing about how to set up video; Our system was set up by a video guy at Nielson Ratings, so please use words a dummy can understand. (I did an AVS search and found a number of threads but they made my head explode.)

Thanks in advance.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I searched for a diagram of the input types for the Faroudja LD100 and it appears it has several BNC input connections and Y/C connection or S-Video input video options. What you need is a converter like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...osite_and.html
that you can connect the HDMI output of your laptop into and the output from the converter would be input into the Faroudja video processor. The converter outputs video in 2 types of connections, RCA Composite and S-Video Y/C Connection. The audio output connections next to the S-Video output or RCA would be input to your Onkyo receiver. Your receiver may have several input connections. If not you can buy at likely a Radio Shack an audio RCA connection that has 1 male connection (plugs into your receiver) and on the other end it has 2 female connections allowing you to plug in the audio from the converter and your DVD player. You would need 2 of those one for the right audio and one for the left audio. Pretty simple to do.

Kind of a crude diagram of the audio connections if your receiver has only 1 input audio connections (L & R) ...

left from dvd ..................right from DVD
left from converter.......... right from converter
.............................V..... V
........................left I...... I right
...........................RECEIVER

With the Sony projectors there used to be a slot card that you can put into the back of the project to accept HDMI input. Check the Curt Palme website http://www.curtpalme.com/ If those are still available I don't really know.

Here is the card on Curt's website... I would contact him for more information.
http://www.curtpalme.com/VIM-FULLHD.shtm

It looks like maybe that you are looking at somewhere in the range of $200 - $300+. I would search for more converters.

Maybe Curt will also reply on this thread and provide you with more information.

I myself have 2 Sony 1271Q's neither which I have them setup to use input from a laptop.

Last edited by AVReader; 08-28-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 PM

It looks like this might be a much lesser expensive option... HDMI to RCA composite video output.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...site_with.html

I would likely go with this cheaper option. The picture may not be the best but passing the 480 interlace video signal from this converter into the Faroudja might be a better choice. The 1271Q would never fully resolve a 1080 video signal anyhow and I'm not sure what your Faroudja would do if you input a 1080 signal from the converter that I posted above.

After reading the description of the converter HDMI to RCA composite I think I would use it.

If I was going to invest more money elsewhere in your set up I would look for a better video processor. One evening I did a search on eBay and I have seen video processors that used to cost thousands of dollars going pretty cheap now.

I know I would never part with my Sony's....maybe the day I die or they quit, which ever may come first.

Last edited by AVReader; 08-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No!!!! don't reduce the computer output to composite!!! That's totally bypassing the advantage of the higher resolution VGA signal.

assuming you have a VGA output on the laptop, all you need is THIS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-5M-5FT...item418625637f

SOme Sony sets have two RGB input cards, one that the Faroudja is plugged into, and then another one beside it. If not, I've got second RGB cards for $30 incl shipping.

Since the Sony has softer focus compared to later sets, run 1024 X 768. Anything higher will most likely look a bit blurry. Feel free to email me through the sites below if you need more assistance.

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 PM

Thanks Curt, that is an even better option. I wasn't aware that you had some RGB cards. CRT projector parts can be somewhat difficult to find.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hooking it up is the easy part, but if Craig is confused b ythe cabling how on earth will he converge it and focus it? What city are you in? I would look for someone local to help you dial it in.

There's also Audio, I ran Digital coaxial output from the sound card in my HTPC to my receiver, but most PC's don't have this.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #7 of 9 Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the replies.

Curt,

Yes, the laptop has VGA out. Do I have to have another RGB input card or can I just unplug the cables coming from the Faroudja and plug in the cable from the laptop when we want to use it? I notice that the cable you refer to has five plugs but my projector only has four cable coming into it now. Do I plug the extra one into VD (see photo)? Also, I assume I have to run an audio cable from the headphone plug on the laptop to the Onkyo receiver replacing the red and white ones coming from the DVD player.

Draganm,

Now that's funny because it's so true. Luckily, the Nielson guy showed me how to focus the tubes and use the remote control to line up the RGB dots. I'm sure what I'm doing is a total hack job and would make you cringe but my eye sight is so bad I wouldn't really know if it was out of focus or not.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140831_201342.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	239609  
post #8 of 9 Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just unplug the Faroudja and connect the laptop.

Give me a shout if you want that second card. I stock everything for pretty much every projector...

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post
Just unplug the Faroudja and connect the laptop.

Give me a shout if you want that second card. I stock everything for pretty much every projector...
Thank you Curt. You are a true gentleman.

Craig
Reply CRT Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1271Q? by PriceGrabber.com