AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Is this a blow for "cheapness"? :)
No Bob. Your archdukeness...sultaness...er, cheapness is still intact :)

Thanks a million...Good luck...Let us know... Whichever is appropriate this time! jmwj03 at hotmail dot com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 227 Old 03-07-2003, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
Jay,
My comment wasnt directed at you and Curt pretty much cleared that up.

Vendors that we use should know their product, if we are selling that to a member its has to be the best we can provide, in rebuilds Charles and VDC has pretty much worked with us to get that quality and has earned our support.

Theres going to come a time when we need that (like 4 months ago) I have unhappy clients waiting for new factory tubes and most do wait, others dont so I need to refund, but why. Im almost at the point of giving them that option because the quality is there now.

Anything that slows that quality process down is what I was concerned about because it reflects on to many things other then the screen that ends up costing the end user time and money (technical labor).

Earlier years it would take twice as long to set up the rebuilds and as quality was increased that time has gone down considerably.

Thats something that affects all of us one way or another, if your doing your own retube you will surely know. Doug
Ok Doug, Thanks. Maybe I was a little over sensitive just because of everything that was going on. No hard feelings, and I hope I was diplomatic in my reply. I didn't want to come off the wrong way back at ya! Thank you for jumping back in hear and verifying what Curt already read into your post! :)

Thanks a million...Good luck...Let us know... Whichever is appropriate this time! jmwj03 at hotmail dot com
post #213 of 227 Old 03-07-2003, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stylinlp
Im confused by all your disappointment in this company. When you post replies most of you don't fill in the details expecting the rest of us to remember in detail what you posted previously. Originally this company out of Texas says that they can rebuild ElectraHome projector tubes. They now can't do this?? I know some of you sent them other brands hoping they can handle them. But thats no concern to me what so ever. My friend and I both have Marquee 8500's. We do want to have our tubes rebuilt. So, can this company rebuilt these tubes successfully or not?
Yep. Read back the whole thread. It would take the full 8 pages just to recap everytime we posted something new. In a nutshell, the told us they could rebuild the MEC tubes, when in reality they hadd no idea what they were doing. They cannot rebuild you 8500 tubes. I am going to VDC. I also don't think anyone else ever sent in any other tubes.

post #214 of 227 Old 03-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Oh well. I guess its too good to be true. How upsetting. Thanks for the heads up thou :)

*Analog fans may be blind but Digital fans are deaf*
post #215 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM

Jay, I agree with you... I live in Canada and adding on 50%+ to the cost of things gets ridiculous and very costly. I am totally in favour of supporting a company that works with you, but if I find someone else that does it for significantly less, that relationship turns into a bit of resentment when I figure they have been milking me for FAR more than it costs to do the job.. unless there is a reason for it and I can personally decide if that reason is something I want to pay a premium for or not.. I reallly have no problem leaving a company I deal with after that. But the way this is going (thread), maybe this isn't the case here... When I look at the cost of tubes prior to this thread, I thought its almost cheaper for me just to buy another low-hour projector than do the tubes when they go... I personally really hope this somehow pans out.. Or that Sly figures out a good retrofit.. :)

Anyways, one thing I wondered as I played catchup in this thread is why anyone hasn't asked why it is necessary to supply a company with items to 'work on' when that is supposedly their reason for being? If I was starting a tube refurb company I would have bought scores of projectors and tubes.. I would have someone on Ebay every day purchasing, contacting government departments..etc. I would not buy a building, say I am going to do it, and then ask people to send in tubes so I could look at them and figure out how to do it... Doesn't that strike anyone as just a little odd?
But there is no excuse for not replying to inquiries, especially from a business point, to people who can make a real difference such as they guys in this forum.. odd...
post #216 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 05:41 PM

Maybe this individual case is caused by miscommunication between company headquarters and the refurb facility. Maybe we need to talk to someone who works at the facility. Right now we only have one case. Maybe others will have more luck? Over my spring break in 2 weeks, I could go to the refurb facility and ask them personally what and what not they can do. If I can save $600 over VDC, than I should at least try and talk to them about their refurbishing capabilities instead of agreeing with everyone else that Trinotronics is corrupted and bad.

Michael
post #217 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 06:20 PM

Am I correct in my understanding that PATX does not provide any projection tube rebuilding services?

Has anyone at Tritronics, Inc. explained why they had all of those part numbers for tube rebuilding?

I haven't checked every post in this thread, but I know that David Stansbury from Tritronics visited us and posted some information early on. Has he disappeared now that things have gone bad?

shoot
post #218 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael, All of my dealings other than the initial phone call have been with the refurb facility. Tritronics hasn't done anything. PATX, the rebuilder, is the one that fell through and didn't return phone calls, etc. I haven't even tried to talk to Tritronics in nearly a month.

The manager there told me after about 2 weeks that they made a mistake and the MEC 8" tube should have never been on the list that they can rebuild. Guess what...as of Friday it was still on the list even though it has become obvious that they cannot do it.

If you want to waste the trip, go for it...but at this point I wouldn't use them even if they could rebuild it just because of their poor business ethics...lying to cusotmers about progress on a tube in for rebuild? Not me...I don't think so.

post #219 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shoot
Am I correct in my understanding that PATX does not provide any projection tube rebuilding services?

Has anyone at Tritronics, Inc. explained why they had all of those part numbers for tube rebuilding?

I haven't checked every post in this thread, but I know that David Stansbury from Tritronics visited us and posted some information early on. Has he disappeared now that things have gone bad?

shoot
No, They do provide some rebuilding, just apparently not for tubes we're after. There are some listed on PATX's website that they supoosedly have in stock and will do an "advance exchange" but that was not the case with this tube...it was supposed to be sent and your actual tube would be rebuilt. Apparently the list was in error. Maybe not entirely, but in the case of the MEC 8" 180DMB22, it should not have been put on the list according to PATX. But again, as of Friday, it is on PATX's own website as being rebuildable. Go figure.

post #220 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I'm going to throw this out here now, and wasn't going to until everything turned out the way it did..

I know a guy in the CRT rebuilding business quite well, and have done business with him for years, ever since high school. This guy did a heck of a job on TV CRT's and does not do projection CRT's and has no interest or the money to invest in a rephosphoring machine, so don't even ask..:)

He's a very opinionated S.O.B, but he and I get a long quite well. More importantly, his opinionated opinions have always been right, and he does not B.S..

When I told him about PATx, he laughed, and told me that they had tried to get into the FP CRT rebuilding business about 2 years ago, and promised the world to a bunch of people.

The end result was exactly what we had here , two years later.

The reason I did not post earlier is I did not want to discourage anyone, and was hoping that they would come through, but I guess not.

VDC it is!

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #221 of 227 Old 03-09-2003, 10:18 PM

Speaking of Rebuilding i talked to someone form Oregon to see if he rebuilds Crt's. And he said he did but does not do this anymore and gets his tubes from VDC. He said to me he still has his rebuilding equipment and has tried to sell it but not too much interest in crt's anymore.

So Curt why not give this guy a call and see if he has this equipment still.
When I called him it was right after this post started.
Not sure if this equipment could be used for Projector crt's but who know!

Here is his Web page
http://www.picturetubes.net/

Darin
post #222 of 227 Old 03-10-2003, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I know this guy. Small outfit, and I believe (but am not sure) that he was getting the rephosphoring done in Mexico. He then regunned the tubes there in Oregon. Long turnaround time, so I'm still sticking with VDC...

Note that the rephosphoring machine apparently costs $2 mil, so I think VDC has serial number 000000001..:-)

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #223 of 227 Old 03-10-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Curt

Had a Cincinnati robot with serial number 003. It was very old and finally died. Its mind was still sharp though. The mechanicals just got arthritis.

Walt
post #224 of 227 Old 05-21-2003, 03:26 AM

Whatever happened to all this??????

Nothing????????

Too bad. So VDC is still our only resource for rebuilding tubes???

Koldby

What is a home theater without good sound??
post #225 of 227 Old 05-21-2003, 06:52 AM

Nothing so far!
post #226 of 227 Old 05-26-2003, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So what do rebuilt 9" tubes cost from VDC for a 9500LC?

Pocatello
post #227 of 227 Old 05-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

$695 plus dead tube. Must ship them tubes first. At least that is what they told me.

Pablo
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page