Screenshot War CRT vs Digital 2015-2016 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #331 of 340 Old 06-04-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 90
And have to correct this, I see that I posted 1 pictures of a Marquee side by side, where I wrote that G90 was on the left on that picture. That was not correct.
I removed the wrong one. Thanx Holms

AKA Diddern on some other forums, Here at AVS always been DJ Dee :)

Last edited by Dj Dee; 06-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 06-04-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes, I do understand that those pictures are zoomed in to show the detail differences. I would expect that.

I really just need to get back to my little "experiment" that should give a Marquee the focus sharpness of a G90, or at least in the central region of the picture. I began that a while back and initial results were promising but I have to revisit it and do a full scale test run on all three tubes in order to prove the idea works.

It's really nothing less than running G90 magnetics, both the deflection AND the focus yokes, on a Marquee's tubes.

The focus yoke works "as is" but for the problem that if you attempt to just put it behind the Marquee's stock deflection yoke, the focus yoke ends up being too far back on the tube neck. So the solution is to also use the G90 deflection yokes, and THERE is where the problem lies. They are not electrically compatible so SOMETHING has to be modified. And that is what I'm working on, the mod that makes this a possibilty.

I've made it work, but on ONE tube, NOT the green system, and I risked damaging the HDM because the G90 deflection yoke has a lower inductance value and draws too much current. It will trip the over-current protection circuit if it's connected to the green circuit.

My task is to make it happy with three G90 deflection yokes hooked up. If I can do that, it will be the sharpest Marquee yet seen, I think, and it will retain focus sharpness into high contrast levels.
Dj Dee likes this.
post #333 of 340 Old 06-04-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
Yes, I do understand that those pictures are zoomed in to show the detail differences. I would expect that.

I really just need to get back to my little "experiment" that should give a Marquee the focus sharpness of a G90, or at least in the central region of the picture. I began that a while back and initial results were promising but I have to revisit it and do a full scale test run on all three tubes in order to prove the idea works.

It's really nothing less than running G90 magnetics, both the deflection AND the focus yokes, on a Marquee's tubes.

The focus yoke works "as is" but for the problem that if you attempt to just put it behind the Marquee's stock deflection yoke, the focus yoke ends up being too far back on the tube neck. So the solution is to also use the G90 deflection yokes, and THERE is where the problem lies. They are not electrically compatible so SOMETHING has to be modified. And that is what I'm working on, the mod that makes this a possibilty.

I've made it work, but on ONE tube, NOT the green system, and I risked damaging the HDM because the G90 deflection yoke has a lower inductance value and draws too much current. It will trip the over-current protection circuit if it's connected to the green circuit.

My task is to make it happy with three G90 deflection yokes hooked up. If I can do that, it will be the sharpest Marquee yet seen, I think, and it will retain focus sharpness into high contrast levels.
I have to say I'm impressed with your knowledge and expertise with CRT projectors. Have you set them up professionally?

post #334 of 340 Old 06-04-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As a matter of fact, yes, as part of simulator installations.

A few months ago I was working overseas, retubing and realigning all the Marquees in an F/A-18 Hornet simulator just like this one:

This type uses 11 Marquees for the front cockpit and 9 more for the rear cockpit.
post #335 of 340 Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

look cool, and expensive. Here in Norway all CRT simulators are being changed to new DLPs
But that also cost a fortune.

post #336 of 340 Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In time, that will happen with these, too. But the government contracting process for getting those upgrades done is long, slow, and expensive, and I'm happy to have the CRT replacement work when I can get it because it pays well.

But it's interesting to note that digital projectors may not represent a cost savings for a simulator operator. The reason is the cost and frequency of lamp replacement as compared to the cost and frequency of CRT replacement.

For example, the Barco F35 is a modern choice for some simulators. It has two lamps that have a 2000 hour service life and the cost of the replacement lamps is somewhere around 700 dollars each, and the simulator operators are usually restricted by contract to buying authentic parts from an authorizeed Barco parts distributor so they WILL pay that much. Otherwise they void the warranty and they can not afford
to void the warranty on projectors that cost so much.

Over 10,000 hours they'll replace five lamps at a cost of 3500 dollars OR they'll replace 10 lamps at a cost of 7000 dollars, depending
on whether they use dual lamp mode. Sim operators normally do because they don't wan't any down time. Having a projector's only
operating lamp fail during a training session is considered very bad so they run both lamps at once, and change them early during
scheduled downtime rather than wait for lamp failures.

So, at a cost of 3500 to 7000 dollars (roughly) per 10,000 hours, this is in the same range of pricing for CRT replacement at somewhere
between 5000 and 10,000 hours of service on the tubes.

The newest laser source projectors make a much better cost benefit argument in their favor, though. With an expected service life of 40,000
hours on the laser light source, or more, the only thing that can kill their competitiveness would be if the laser source assembly were to cost 30,000 dollars or more. Which it doesn't.
post #337 of 340 Old 06-06-2017, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can understand that this pays well 20 CRT adjustments hohoho
Must be much more cost effective to go digital.

post #338 of 340 Old 06-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
I can assure you, a G90 can be sharper than the CRT image two posts above this one. But I don't have photos to prove it.
I have enough G90s and Marquees that I'm pretty sure about that. I can compare any of them side by side with my RS45 and
the G90 has a sharpness advantage that a Marquee can't match.

I am still with CRT because I'm way beyond being merely "well stocked". My CRT inventory of new condition tubes numbers
in the dozens of sets. So I have absolutely no issues with tube wear and can always have a machine on my ceiling which is in
absolutely top form, WITHOUT spending any money.

4K, OK, I can't match that, but how much native 4K content do you have to watch yet? It's not enough yet to make for a very
compelling argument.
Patiently awaiting the evidence It would also ideally be equally sharp across the entire screen, corner to corner, not just the center.
Every video game ever made runs on my beastly computer gaming rig in 4k, and it looks great
Can't beat the input lag of a crt though
Dj Dee likes this.

Last edited by AVMB; 06-06-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #339 of 340 Old 06-15-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got a new player which can directly display files off a USB drive, which is very convenient, now to go find uncompressed full resolution image files to put on it for display purposes.
post #340 of 340 Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Will be fun to see CMJ.
Use the screen cap. The picture I got was from that screen cap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page