Is the Sony G90 a desireable projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the Sony G90 a desireable projector?

Just to clarify, this is NOT a 'for sale' thread. I'm trying to get some information on a something I know nothing about, to potentially save a pair of projectors from the recycling bin. Just wanted to clarify that as I know this forum has a 'for sale' section for that type of thread.

Long story short, I know a guy who recently upgraded his home theater, and has two Sony G90's that he doesn't know what to do with. I've done a little research, and it seems like these older projectors aren't super popular due to the frequency of maintenance and cost. eBay shows only one completed listing at $2000 that actually sold and a couple more that didn't, so I'm not sure what a fair price would be, and what factors go into price. My questions are as follows:

Are they worth trying to sell, or should they just be recycled?
How do I determine what these are worth?
What info do I need in order to more accurately value them? All I know is one of them was used and the other I don't think was ever used. There's one remote and a ceiling mount the can lower the projector for servicing.

Thank you for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 68
This guy specializes in CRT projectors like the G90's. Those were top shelf machines, back in the day.

http://www.curtpalme.com/

Quoted from the web site:
The G90 is Sony's best (and last) late model CRT projector. It uses 9" liquid coupled tubes with EM focus. 150 Khz scan rate (high enough to display anything you can throw at it, including 1080p), component input along with the regular video/s-video/RGB inputs. A super-bright 1300 lumens of light output, digital convergence, and on screen menus with lots of built-in test patterns.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi

Last edited by petew; 03-30-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added quote
post #3 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
This guy specializes in CRT projectors like the G90's. Those were top shelf machines, back in the day.

Quoted from the web site:
The G90 is Sony's best (and last) late model CRT projector. It uses 9" liquid coupled tubes with EM focus. 150 Khz scan rate (high enough to display anything you can throw at it, including 1080p), component input along with the regular video/s-video/RGB inputs. A super-bright 1300 lumens of light output, digital convergence, and on screen menus with lots of built-in test patterns.
I tried asking this question over on his forum first, but it got deleted because he thought I was trying to sell them.

I'm given to understand that they cost a pretty penny when they were new, just not sure if any of that value is left.

post #4 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Dont trow them out, they will always be worth something for parts, depending tube condition and so on, the prices i seen them sell for is from 300$ and up, last few auctions on ebay ended up around 500$

Also depend a lot where they are located, might be worth more in Europe than in USA, normally shipping cost is a deal breaker. Specially as old used CRT projectors are a wild bet, it might be perfect working order, or not, and even if its perfect break down the next day, i have a G90 that im not using, and most likely never will, as i prefer the Marquee 9" CRT wich i find better as a 1080P projector, but the G90 is the CRT projector worlds plug and play projector, meaning, it only take a few days.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

They are located in New York state in the United States, so I guess that doesn't help value. It sounds like the hardest part will be finding someone who wants one or both of them who is relatively nearby.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 04:31 PM

I might be interested for parts, and will get around later this year.
Your welcome to contact me by mail.

stridsvognen@hotmail.com
post #7 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2048 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirates712 View Post
They are located in New York state in the United States, so I guess that doesn't help value. It sounds like the hardest part will be finding someone who wants one or both of them who is relatively nearby.
West or East NY?

A couple of people up that way might be interested.

At the very least, one board, tubes, red c-element and lenses might be worth some money.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #8 of 26 Old 03-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Coincidentally

Very, very coincidentally. I have a Sony G90 hanging on my ceiling right now. Literally, a few hours ago I was on a ladder inspecting the mounting system, as I am taking it down.....and it is heavy. It is perfectly functional, but I am replacing it with a DLP.

If anybody wants it......come get it. The only cost.....you have to take it off the ceiling.

I am in San Diego. Come get it. Bring a couple friends and some scaffolding.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 AM

Wow, its raining G90s.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
West or East NY?

A couple of people up that way might be interested.

At the very least, one board, tubes, red c-element and lenses might be worth some money.

Either. They're located near Saratoga and I'm near Rochester, so we could work something out.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

I can try to get some pictures. The spare one is still in the original box so I'm not sure we would be able to get it out. What kind of pictures would people want to see?
post #12 of 26 Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 AM

Hour counter, and tube pictures. without lenses.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-31-2016, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to remove the lenses, and where the hour counter is? If it isn't dead simple it might be a little while until I can get over there.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 AM

Ill see if i can get my G90 fired up, and find the hour counter, dont remember how it all works, its been to long.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
Ill see if i can get my G90 fired up, and find the hour counter, dont remember how it all works, its been to long.

I believe it is just an option from the menu screen called the "Timer Menu". You might have to be in expert mode in order to access it thought.

Enter into Expert mode:

Enter + Enter + Left Arrow +Right Arrow + Enter

Always be careful entering the Expert mode but it should be listed in the menu and you could check the count.

Another thing that would be helpful would be the IC421 on the PA board. This is a show stopper for these units.

I to would be interested in a unit for parts. Let me know if you want to move on the. I would be willing to drive up to check them out to.

Thanks,
Bill
post #16 of 26 Old 05-02-2016, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtbilly View Post
I believe it is just an option from the menu screen called the "Timer Menu". You might have to be in expert mode in order to access it thought.

Enter into Expert mode:

Enter + Enter + Left Arrow +Right Arrow + Enter

Always be careful entering the Expert mode but it should be listed in the menu and you could check the count.

Another thing that would be helpful would be the IC421 on the PA board. This is a show stopper for these units.

I to would be interested in a unit for parts. Let me know if you want to move on the. I would be willing to drive up to check them out to.

Thanks,
Bill
Its the YA board which has the flaky IC421. There were two types used on the G90 and the one with problems generally fails within 2-3000 hrs. If the hours exceed this and its still good then you should be fine.

You can also check hours in service mode and this is probably a better mode to avoid screwing something up. Instead of 'left arrow, right arrow' in the sequence mentioned above, click up arrow the down arrow. The series of button presses have to be completed within 5secs.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-14-2016, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys thanks for the info. The projectors are still available. The next time I go to visit my parents I will go look at them and take pictures.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 PM
aka: HarperVision

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Are these still available, especially the new in box one? I know a guy in central PA who may be interested.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-17-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have four G90s and I am buying them when I encounter them, if I can get them at a good price.

Why? Heck, I don't know! Once I got my first one I was HOOKED. What a truly well engineered machine.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post
What a truly well engineered machine.
Notwithstanding its IC421 Achilles Heel.
post #21 of 26 Old 12-20-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is a project under active development to replace IC421 with a custom FPGA replacement.

None of my units have a bad IC421.
post #22 of 26 Old 12-21-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
There is a project under active development to replace IC421 with a custom FPGA replacement.
Could you share more info on this project? Or PM me if necessary? I have a G90 that I want to maintain for the long haul.
post #23 of 26 Old 12-21-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When further information is available, yes. Please send me a PM so I can put you on the list of prospective customers.

The basic idea is that I have formed a small team (which is not yet complete, I must note) that will be reverse engineering the IC421 chip
by monitoring and correlating its input data and output data with commands sent to it, as we map out every control feature in the G90.

When this is done then we have the function map that is the blueprint for the flowchart that is the guide for developing work-alike
software for an FPGA solution.

It is expected that the final product, should we get to that point, will have to be retrofitted to an existing YA board, the work to
be performed by a professional technician, as it will involve removing IC421 and installing an adapter on the board to run the FPGA.

Target price will be about what it costs to repair a bad YA board for any failure NOT due to IC421. Which is about 800 dollars at a very rough estimate.

I'd like to say it'd cost less than that but it is likely that MANY hours will have to be spent gathering data on the chip in operation.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
The basic idea is that I have formed a small team (which is not yet complete, I must note) that will be reverse engineering the IC421 chip
by monitoring and correlating its input data and output data with commands sent to it, as we map out every control feature in the G90.
I think a great idea is to reverse engineering a barco "Focus block", "HV splitter", "Quadrupler". Those 3 are the most difficult parts to build. Because electronics it's sealed with epoxy resin.
No service manual has details about it.
I own several Barco Cine 7, i have one with broken quadrupler.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-18-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe, but I have no interest in that whatsoever.

Somebody else can tackle that job.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon640 View Post
I think a great idea is to reverse engineering a barco "Focus block", "HV splitter", "Quadrupler". Those 3 are the most difficult parts to build. Because electronics it's sealed with epoxy resin.
No service manual has details about it.
I own several Barco Cine 7, i have one with broken quadrupler.
I have dozens of spares for sale, email me through either of the below sites.

A few people have tried to repair or clone the quad with no success. At this point it's not worth trying, as demand is very low for CRT parts.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page