Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The thread isn't a armed conflict as to what projection technology is best. Nor is it to prove the trustworthiness of the CRT technology. I asked the question to so we could brainstorm and gather the facts as to the ETD (estimated time of departure) of the CRT and if it will ever depart. There is a similar debate going on as to the life expectancy of the Plasma TV.

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #93 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
It's still recognized by this expert as having the best picture quality. Unfortunately, that has NOTHING to do with the threads question.

p.s. I'm glad to see that you capitalized "CRT IS DEAD". That shows that painful as it is, you're subconscious mind is trying to face the truth.
Well, if we're in agreement, then WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? As long as the picture quality is the best, then it won't be dead. By your reasoning, CRT was dead when the big corporations that paid the big bucks for them decided to dump them for LCD and DLP.

The truth of the matter is, there is not enough GOOD CRT projectors to go around. The only thing that will kill CRT is when tubes are no longer available. While the VDC rebuilts may satisfy some people, if you're particular enough to be using CRT in the first place, then you wouldn't be satisfied with those rebuilt tubes.

It's the very low end CRT projectors that will probably die first, since it is those that DLP will be able to overcome first. All I can say is HOLD OFF ON YOUR GRAY SCREENS, it's NOT over yet.

Since there is really no more to be said, I will not respond any further to this thread.

Regard to all (crt owners),
Bruce

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #94 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
From the bottom of our hearrts , we would like to get rid of our heavy CRTs
one day and turn to whatever digital projector that give us the same HQ picture , I think no one will deny that !

In the meantime , sorry if I am wrong or rude , I do not think many have
enjoyed what 9" CRT would do for their HT , seeing a demo is only a short
experience and if you are well acquainted with the PQ of the 9"CRT , you will know why we say DLP is still a far away behind ! DLP is approaching 8" CRT PQ , maybe better than 7"CRT , but compare it to 9"CRT , no way !

Maybe DLP technology do not allow that to happen !!

So unless we give up good PQ , 9"CRT may well live alone for another 5-10 years !!
post #95 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

:(
Quote:
Since there is really no more to be said, I will not respond any further to this thread.
Bruce, don't leave. That sounded like last rites for the CRT world.:(

A veteran is someone who, wrote a blank check Made Payable to 'The USA, ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'
post #96 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Clark

BTW, I've noticed the older I get, the more I like Rachmaninoff's music. He was very underrated...
No other musical recording of any kind, past or present, reaches down into my gut like his Piano Concerto No. 2 (especially when executed by very skilled pianists and world class symphony orchestras). It is simply breathtaking music. It swings me back and forth and turns me up and down and inside out and sideways. It gets almost deathly quiet and then it builds to unbelievably breathtaking climaxes. All the while giving me both goose bumps and tears.
And I'm not even a fan of classical music. I mainly listen to R&B. And I love R&B. But no R&B I've ever heard can hold a candle to it.
post #97 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Diamond Bar Calif USA 91765 / Seattle area WA 98512
Robert,
Listen to more Ray Charles, Leon Russell and Phil Collins. Ill take a listen, thanks. Doug
post #98 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

HOMETHEATER GUY
YOU DIDN'T WANT THIS THREAD TO BECOME
A ARMED CONFLICT I GUESS EVEN AFTER OVER 200 POST YOU DON'T KNOW
US VERY WELL DO YOU:D

XANATOS

:cool:

IN THE LAND OF HOME THEATER

THE THREE EYED MONSTER IS KING
post #99 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LoL Xanatos! "let the games begin" dim the lights, pop some corn and turn on that three eyed beast...

post #100 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

CRT is not really dead but in a different market now.

I bought a crt but did not choose it because it was best. I bought it because it offered best picture for price.

IMO it will be much more difficult then most people expect for digitals to ever overcome the cheapness of crts. In fact, you would ordinarily expect older digital boxes to take the place of crt but that will fail to happen because they are made with inferior quality materials, not built to last.

That assumption establishes a very valid economic reason crt will survive the same as old Harleys motorcycles.

Bob
post #101 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Rosback
CRT's are dying in the same way that vinyl and tube amps were dying in the early 80's.

Meanwhile, I think I'll go listen to my Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus" LP on my dedicated 2 channel system, which happens to have a few warm glowing things in the signal path.
Tom, fess up. You are in Minnesota, yes? Do you like the tube sound, or are you merely trying to heat your house??? :D

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #102 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
No other musical recording of any kind, past or present, reaches down into my gut like his Piano Concerto No. 2 (especially when executed by very skilled pianists and world class symphony orchestras). It is simply breathtaking music. It swings me back and forth and turns me up and down and inside out and sideways. It gets almost deathly quiet and then it builds to unbelievably breathtaking climaxes. All the while giving me both goose bumps and tears.
And I'm not even a fan of classical music. I mainly listen to R&B. And I love R&B. But no R&B I've ever heard can hold a candle to it.
I hear ya. Great concerto.

Also check out the 2nd Symphony (I also really like the 1st) and of course the Rhapsody (or fire up "Somewhere in Time").

Robert Clark
post #103 of 302 Old 08-04-2003, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now there's two great answers from two of my favorite posters! But Steve, I once again have to remind you who the fisherman is here
QQQ
I like to fish now and then myself as you know. I realize you are a master anglar whilst I'm just a novice.
BTW If you are half as talented at your install business as angling then there may be hope for digital after all. I believe you could catch a trophy by bobbing a 1000 hour worn out flashlight as the bait. Damm you are so good that some people here actually believe you prefer the flashlight to the real thing.:D
Steve
post #104 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Liked: 18
I have just completed an unsuccessful 10 day attempt to sell my Runco IDP900 on e-bay. It is an excellant machine with no tube burn and a point convergence board that I added. I will decide in the next day or two whether to relist it. There were over 300 hits but only one bid and that was from someone I know. It is also listed on Videogon but nothing is happening there either.

I can understand the reluctance to buy a crt projector sight unseen from Joe Blow but well known forum member Curt Palme also had two projectors available over the same time period as mine. I don't think he had any better luck than I.

So what's the deal? Are we kidding ourselves into thinking people really want a crt projector just because we think they are the ultimate and the bulb lovers are too dim witted to know the difference? Are we the equivalent of the audio world's vinyl lover who can never accept anything digital?

Right now I am feeling a little discouraged about the commitment of home theater hobbyists to good movie reproduction.

Regards,

Dennis
post #105 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I get lots of hits, and few bids on eBay. I use eBay more as a lure to get people to talk to me, then I sell directly. Very few people are placing high bids on ebay without some kind of contact.

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #106 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
YA know, thinking about it, I'd say that threads like this would die if we all chimed in and agreed that CRT was dying.

C'mon guys, let's take this to 200 posts, and let's all agree that CRT is dying.

"I, Curt Palme, hereby declare that CRT is dying".

All in favor, post below!

Curt

PS: (then we'll start another thread how we suckered the non-believers in!)

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #107 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Where is Rob?

Guy Kuo
post #108 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally posted by tibia
I have just completed an unsuccessful 10 day attempt to sell my Runco IDP900 on e-bay. It is an excellant machine with no tube burn and a point convergence board that I added. I will decide in the next day or two whether to relist it. There were over 300 hits but only one bid and that was from someone I know. It is also listed on Videogon but nothing is happening there either.

I can understand the reluctance to buy a crt projector sight unseen from Joe Blow but well known forum member Curt Palme also had two projectors available over the same time period as mine. I don't think he had any better luck than I.

So what's the deal? Are we kidding ourselves into thinking people really want a crt projector just because we think they are the ultimate and the bulb lovers are too dim witted to know the difference? Are we the equivalent of the audio world's vinyl lover who can never accept anything digital?

Right now I am feeling a little discouraged about the commitment of home theater hobbyists to good movie reproduction.

Regards,

I think it's all of those things and more. Even potential buyers are probably trying to get at least an 8" or 9" at this stage . The folks who would be interested are the ones who know of CRTs strengths and are willing to deal with it's shortcomings. If you know you are looking at the best image that can be produced with video then accepting those shortcomings is a lot easier.

I think it's like anything else , if the difference is say 15% between the best a CRT can do and the best a FPDD can do then how many out there would care enough to pay the price ( energy , not money necessarily).

I know for sure, I'm not the equivalent of the vinyl lover since I've been hoping to see that digital that I like.

By the way I'd be really interested to see Daredevil DTheater on a FPDD. That movie is so dark ( but awesome just for that reason) that it would be perhaps the true" is digital there yet" software. I watched this again last night with my family and four of our friends. Yea,yea I know transparent but fun and just stunningly beautiful in HD and CRT !:) :) :) .

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #109 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Kuo
Where is Rob?
If you mean me, Guy, my feelings were hurt when you said not to quote you anymore. If I post some more I'm scared they might get hurt again.
post #110 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 01:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Bob,
Guy has to know better than that. When someone on this forum speaks and actually knows something at the same time we are going to hang on every word. :D

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #111 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets face it guys, CRT requires a dedicated setup point (able to handle greater than 100 lbs safely), and an extensive focusing job. While its picture is the best, this eliminates 'amateur salemen' like bestbuy/circuit city, ect. Since that is where most people are buying their electronics, the effect is obvious.

Again, it has been said, just like high-end audio, there will be a niche of people who will pay the extra to build rooms around these things and pay for the set-up. It will not die until another form of video has comparable color and contrast with proper blacks. When that does happen...OF COURSE CRT WILL DIE, just like 8 track tapes died.

The only reason I have a CRT is this forum (and CURT PALME), otherwise I would have had to pay 30000$ or more for a new CRT. Since this was not in my price range, my home theater expert was not bothering to show my any CRTs. (He was more than willing to set mine up once acquired, however).

Chris

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #112 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Just funnin' you, Rob. Couldn't resist after Curt saying what he did.

Guy Kuo
post #113 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

:D
post #114 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

tim,

ya got me. Really have to have tubes up here in Minnesota.
Keeps the frost off the speaker cones.
No compunction about leavin 'em on all the time.
In the winter, I'll go down to the theater and just look at 'em, kind of like staring at a campfire.

Doea a 9501LC make more heat than a G70? Thinking of upgrading, heat wise.

I run all my solid state stuff pure class A as well, just up the bias until the emitter resistors start smoking, then back it off a bit. :rolleyes: Perfectly toasty. More air too, right before thermal runaway, oscillation, and total meltdown.

Still doesn't explain why I like vinyl, and why my Classe' Model 15 sounds more 'tubelike' than my McIntosh MC 2102.

Or why the French are pissed because an American lawyer didn't make the trip to sample the nouveau beaujolais this year.
post #115 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by tibia
Are we kidding ourselves into thinking people really want a crt projector just because we think they are the ultimate and the bulb lovers are too dim witted to know the difference?
This is in the same category as the question: "Honey, do I look fat in this dress?" :D
post #116 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
"Is the CRT dying?"

Nope, it just got a little exausted from running so far ahead of digital for the past 20 years, that it almost came to a stop. However, it was concerned about all the hype for the past 10 years of digital catching up "soon," and that was also stressful...

So I had a long talk with CRT. I informed it to slow down and take it easy, and that from the looks of things (digital), it'll be a very long time before there should be something to be concerned about.

So CRT is now just chill'n :cool:

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #117 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 05:48 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

I've never quite been able to relate to why some people actually PREFER to delude themselves about a situation rather than face it. I've seen a family that prefers to believe that their daughter/sister is thin, rather than face the fact that she has an eating disorder that is potentially threatening her life. She's so thin she looks deathly and they all just pretend as though nothings wrong. They even get upset if someone who cares tries to suggest she might need help.

Reminds me a lot of some of the people on this forum. I guess as long as they can pretend that good old Gramdpa CRT is alive and well, they don't have to face the pain of being without him. So if it makes you feel good, the breathing tube in Grandpa is pumping pure energy into him. His blue color is a sign of the pure energy from his breathing tube. Grandpa is healthy and strong as an ox.
post #118 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your concern for the well-being of CRT'ers, QQQ, brings a tear to my eye.
It's truly a wonderful thing you do to try to rescue them from this cult.
One day they will all thank you for it.
post #119 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 06:34 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Your concern for the well-being of CRT'ers, QQQ, brings a tear to my eye.
It's truly a wonderful thing you do to try to rescue them from this cult.
One day they will all thank you for it.
If I can bring one soul from the darkness to the light, it's all been worth it Bob.
post #120 of 302 Old 08-10-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your job would be a lot easier though, if those darn flashlight projector makers would just make the things stop spilling light. And stop making color flashes. And make the pixels disappear. And cut out the dithering. And the banding. And the mosquitoes. And the headaches.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page