betcha never seen a CRT vs LCD comparison like this! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The CRTs colors may be more accurate but it also looks extremely soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wireless
The CRTs colors may be more accurate but it also looks extremely soft.
That's because it's a Barco Data 600... ;)
As I said, in real life the picture's a little sharper and there is less red tint. Some of the softness and the red tint are "artifacts" introduced by the digital photograph. I was trying to get pointers for a photography setup to best represent what I see on the screen.

-Bob
post #93 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Don't get too distracted by the color you see in those two photos.

With my DLP's picture (HT1k), I can get all the red required to get any red-lover's heart to go pitty pat. And while I've not witnessed the Screenplay 5700's picture in person, I'm guessing the same holds true for it.

Likewise, I can get my CRT projectors to render as much red as desired (although the ones with Panasonic tubes require color correcting filters on the red. Otherwise, I have to amend that to say that I can get them to render as much orange as desired). :)
post #94 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Don't get too distracted by the color you see in those two photos.
That's a good point that Frodo looked fine to Robert and the rest of us and was provided after he suggested I had too much green in my borrowed Epson (using default settings).

Frodo looked fine until he's put side-by-side with Squinty's picture with redder tint; then he looks seasick.

I thought the same thing when I was adjusting colors on Leeloo. She looked fine until I set it next to my CRT shot, then she looked like the Hulk.

Do ISF techs use color index cards?

-Clarence
post #95 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonHoyaFan
I wonder what kind of monitor most people are viewing the posted screenshots on?
I always notice a huge difference between the 19" CRT monitor I use at home and my laptop monitor at work. The laptop's LCD always shows more detail in the blacks.

Here's an example of what I see on my monitor:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e.jpg

and to grossly exaggerate the additional detail I can see on my laptop, I doubled the Brightness on the JPG using PaintShopPro:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-b100.jpg

I was hoping to get a picture of the top/bottom widescreen black bands from the Epson LCD, which were really gray (and not very dark gray either), but in the pictures, they look black.

-Clarence

EDIT: On my Marquee's live projected image, I can clearly see the shadow details like the texture on the wall on the left side of these shots.

P.S. I strongly oppose any post-processing (e.g., adjusting brightness, contrast, or color in Paintshop or Photoshop) on screenshots unless it is clearly disclosed. Crop (avoid if possible) and resize (if required). That's it. Anything else can be misleading.
post #96 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
That's a good point that Frodo looked fine to Robert and the rest of us and was provided after he suggested I had too much green in my borrowed Epson (from default settings). Frodo looked fine until he's put side by side with picture with Squinty's redder tint, then he looks seasick. I thought the same thing when I was adjusting colors on Leeloo. She looked fine until I set it next to my CRT shot, then she looked like the Hulk.

Do ISF techs use color index cards?

-Clarence
That's a very astute observation, Clarence. And it's also why your animation is really useful.

p.s. but I think you'll have to admit that the green push in the LCD picture is just a tad more pronounced than in the DLP image. To put it another way, if green represents wealth, then the LCD picture is Bill Gates, and the DLP picture is more like Martha Stewart (after the stock price tanked). :D
post #97 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by MYoung
The ingredients to good screenshots...
Saving the scannings uncompressed for display as PNG (or other uncompressed, web-friendly image type).
As I teased earlier, 99.44% of the screenshots in this forum are 640x480 pixels or less.

At that limited resolution, I don't think the file format has much of an impact:

PNG (234 Kb) [excellent loss-less compression]:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-png.png

GIF (108 Kb) [limited to 256 colors]:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-gif.gif

JPG (95 Kb), compression 1/100 [best JPG quality]:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-jpg1.jpg

JPG (13 Kb), compression 50/100 [great for small web files]:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-jpg50.jpg

But for detailed analysis (well, as much as you can do with a screenshot), that's why I posted links to the original files out of the camera on page 2 post #32.

You can hide a lot of flaws in 640 pixels: Screen door effect, poor focus/convergence, pixellation.

But even a 4MP screenshot with a full-screen view can't show the LCD's SDE, the gray "black bars", or the pixellation of digital projectors. That's why I did the close-up of the eye on Page 1 Post #7 to show SDE.

-Clarence
post #98 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Very nice, Squinty.

The DLP screenshot was not mine. Got it from this thread...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=356371

Bob
Bob-

Why didn't you use this Leeloo shot from the same DLP thread?
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/P1000029.jpg

Everybody knows you can't compare LOTR with "Fifth Element". :)

-Clarence
post #99 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I started to. But didn't want the DLP to look too good.
Didn't want to hurt yall's feelings. :D

p.s. I know. The color's undersaturated in that picture. But don't fret. A few clicks with the remote is all that's needed. ;)
post #100 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-jpg50.jpg

Actually the color's too saturated in the CRT picture. And not saturated enough in the DLP picture. You're right, HEAT. A little adjusting is called for with both.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that CRT projector has Panasonic tubes in it. If so search for the thread entitled "Kenny's Filters" and you can get rid of that orange primary. If it aint Panasonic tubes, then either you need to do a grayscale calibration on it. Or your green is getting puny.
post #101 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

hmmm...I'm glad to see that my CRT could match the sharpness of the DLP...AND still maintain good details in dark sceenes :)
(Camera used; HP 2.1MP)

http://rennfast.dns2go.com/Public/ht...shoots/013.jpg

Rolf Hult
My HT
post #102 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Clarence:
Kidding aside, though I don't find it useful as a guage of the differences between CRT and LCD, or between CRT and digital, I compliment you for doing a real (side by side) comparison. I would like to see more of these.
Funny, QQQ didn't compliment me on doing a side-by-side of the Hitachi 5500 and NEC 6PG a couple of years ago. :p

Quote:
The ingredients to good screenshots, IMHO (And no, the pics on my website are not ideal by any stretch, though they were done with film, an automatic 35mm camera, and a HP Scanjet II <REALLY OLD>. In addition, I lack still photography experience ;) )...

A nice 35mm camera.
A book on photography.
The proper film.
A very nice scanner.
Saving the scannings uncompressed for display as PNG (or other uncompressed, web-friendly image type).
Mike, I have been casually doing a little research on the most appropriate film for use. I plan on tripod, bracketing exposure, film scanner, uncompressed (if possible) BMP or TIFF, and adjusting captures on my monitor (set to 6500K, but questionable Brightness/Contrast settings and using 1600x1200 at 32-bit color) for any post-production adjustments to make what is on my monitor appear like what is on my screen.

Problem with traditional films include the trade-off of film grain to contrast, a films inherent coloration, film processing variations, scanner deviations, and so on. And if that does not beat all, I bet less than have the interest parties will even both to setup their monitor for 6500K let alone various monitor manufacturers producing different color palletes.

Quote:
Originally posted by TimB
E for effort, Clarence.
And how should we rate you on your effort to get your 9PGxtra up and running?

Personally, I thought Clarence did a nice job presenting the misleading interpretations of ANSI brightness between two different technologies. I gave up counting how many times I heard first-timers placing a brightness priority above all other aspects, and even ruling out certain technologies for reasons close to an urban myth.
post #103 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rolf's screenshots have always been my favorites.

That's on Goo, right?
230x126cm (16:9) = 90" x 50"

Nice natural skin tone, not too saturated like she fell asleep in a tanning booth like my CRT shot. Not undersaturated like she just saw a ghost.

Razor sharp eyes without digital's pixelation.

Can you share your camera's exposure settings and zoomplayer's color overlay settings? Did you use ffdshow for sharpening?

Very nice.

-Clarence
post #104 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sorry, I just wanted to see all three next to each other...

Clarence's Marquee 8000 on 12'x8' drywall (14' diagonal), Canon S45 camera:
http://members.aol.com/marcorsyscom/5e-m8000.jpg

Innova's InFocus 5700 DLP, Panasonic FZ10 camera, 119" Da-Lite:

Rolf's Marquee 8500 on 7.5' x 4' Goo, HP 2.1 MP camera:
http://rennfast.dns2go.com/Public/ht...shoots/013.jpg

-Clarence

EDIT: added basic PJ, screen, and camera info

Another Edit: To keep the screen sizes in perspective, I uploaded a larger picture. A poor excuse for my focus skills. I'm 6'2" and I see eyeball to eyeball (well, maybe eyeball to pupil) with Leeloo in this scene.
post #105 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I just wanted to see all three next to each other...

Clarence's Marquee 8000 on 12'x8' drywall (14' diagonal):

DLP:

Rolf's Marquee 8500 on 7.5' x 4' Goo:
Is it just me or is there significantly more detail in Leeloo's hair in the DLP shot? Maybe it's just the frame that shows more detail. I wonder because I am considering going CRT, but CRT screenshots aften seem to be lacking detail that is in digital PJ screenshots. And I know you can't really compare PQ with screenshots...

lol, or were the picture titles mixed on purpose to trap someone into noticing that only to be told it's really a CRT pic...

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #106 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is it just me or is there significantly more detail in Leeloo's hair in the DLP shot?
Alrighty then! Did you read that QQQ? :)

Boys, I think we're finally makin progress here. :)
post #107 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Is it just me or is there significantly more detail in Leeloo's hair in the DLP shot?
There's only so much detail you can see in 640 pixels, but I'd choose Rolf's shot. Look at the individual strands in the "dreadlock" hanging between her eyes.

Look at the detail in her eye on our right. Again, I'd pick Rolf's.

Let's have Rolf and a DLP do a zoom shot like my SDE eye.

-Clarence
post #108 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It also seems that in the CRT pictures her hair is mostly orange, were in the DLP picture one can see more distinct areas of yellow and orange. It's very interesting looking at the pros and cons of both technologies.

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #109 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

In my shoot the settings are;

Radeon9000Pro, Cat. 3.10
TT 1.5.56 (video settings at default)
ffdshow-20031128
- Lanczos resize to desktop rez 1152x864@75Hz Luma sharpen 1,5 Croma sharpen 1,0
Gradual denoise at 18 (Got stutters without this)
Reclock 1,3
With this setup, I got no stutters at all.

I'm not sure about shutter speed and other setup used by camera...as I only disabled the flash, and left the other at auto.

Remember that Leloo's hair is in "the wind"...differences in that details depends only of when you hit the pause button ;)

edit; My settings on the Eh8500 - G2 dialed in with help from Tim's helpful guide. Then I set the greyscale via the Digital Video Essentials (PAL), and ended with Contrast:39 Brightness:65
Used to set this at 45/50, but redusing the contrast, and raising the brightness gave me much better focus, and more details in dark sceenes!

Rolf Hult
My HT
post #110 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

heh heh in reply to my own post, maybe the differenciation in colour is due to those darn "rainbows"...

post #111 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I say screenshots should be at least 2x DVD resolution if taking pics of DVD screenshots. That's 1440x960 minimum and native -- more of you don't frame it exactly. Really, it's pointless to display such tiny and compressed images. One should also have a digital camera that can take lossless pictures. Film has a better color gamut than digital and has MUCH better resolution, as I'm sure we ALL know. Yet I always see these digital camera pics. I don't get it. You will have much more of a sampling issue when taking pictures with a digital camera, espeically when taking pictures of a discrete digital projector image. Also, resizing a digital image WILL soften it. For the love of God, does anyone use film for screenshots?!

- Mike Young
My Clay Animations
My Theater (needs major updating)
My Biz
post #112 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For the love of God, does anyone use film for screenshots?!
What is the point since the pictures would have to be scanned digitally to be posted?

post #113 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Mike-

I've taken over 5000 pictures in the last 12 months with that S45. That's 200 rolls of film. At $10/roll for film and developing, that'd be $2000. I've described myself as a "frugal hobbyist". Plus I'd have to wait at least an hour to get them developed instead of 2 seconds. Plus scanning only introduces another delay and image/color manipulation. Plus I've had no photography training, so digital affords me the opportunity for trial and error.

Photography is one area where I'm proud to be digital.

-Clarence
post #114 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I got rid of my film camera about the same time I tossed my Smith Corona.
post #115 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Excellent info Rolf, thanks!

Quote:
I'm not sure about shutter speed and other setup used by camera...as I only disabled the flash, and left the other at auto.
Do you still have the original file downloaded from the camera? If so, Windows, right-click, Properties, Summary will show you the camera exposure info. I learned that myself yesterday on Page 1 post #9 of this thread.

-Clarence
post #116 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

When taken "ton's" of shots, many of them will be different from the other...Then we must pick the one that match the picture from PJ the best...

Rolf Hult
My HT
post #117 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
Excellent info Rolf, thanks!

Do you still have the original file downloaded from the camera? If so, Windows, right-click, Properties, Summary will show you the camera exposure info. I learned that myself yesterday on Page 1 post #9 of this thread.

-Clarence
Here it is;
http://rennfast.dns2go.com/public/temp/snap.jpg

The original photos is stored here: http://*******.com/33t7e

Rolf Hult
My HT
post #118 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
camera exposure info... The original photos...
Rolf rocks!

Plus after playing with this thread I'll have to read up on his Roscoe filters.

Thanks!
Clarence
post #119 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got rid of my film camera about the same time I tossed my Smith Corona.
And your CRT right Bob.

Steve
post #120 of 267 Old 01-25-2004, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I learned that myself yesterday
A couple of other off topic Windows tidbits worth sharing:
- Alt+PrintScreen will capture just the Active Window to clipboard so you can Paste it (Ctrl+V) into your graphics editing program without having to crop from the whole screen.
- Windows+E opens Windows Explorer (File Manager) (simple, but I work on different peoples' computers every week and everytime I do this, they say, "How'd you do that?!")
- Windows+F opens "Find"

The Windows key is next to Alt.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page