Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Of course, I do need to factor in the disposal costs of my CRT, as odds are when I do replace it, I won't be able to sell it on ebay for $5!
Well, that is, if Curt is no longer repairing them! I suspect that short of visiting the Almighty for an extended trip, he'll take it off your hands.

Gee, I wonder what kind of screen the Almighty has? Probably a 11.1 surround (11 dimensions according to string theory, 1 universe) system in 3D (11D?). Hell, we probably are all bit players on his viewing system anyway!

Regards,

Ira

CRT'ing since Feb 1987
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll bid $10 spearce if it
s LC or $7.50 if it's just a AC 8". :) :0

This is funny... I'm a crt fan obviously but I don't care one way or the other either. It's interesting to know when that magical day arrives, but I won't be crying on my HV lines even if that were today which I don't think it is.

It should only be one more generation of FPD's before there is no arguing at all something will beat the top crt that's already 10 years old in design.
:)

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.
Link for info on our first project
post #93 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
After all the posts on this forum about how much better even cheap CRTs are than any digital I now find it kind of funny that I'm basically being accused of unfairly balancing the deck by using a $300 DVD player (that is after shipping from overseas and I could have brought my $199 player). Who would have guessed? :)

As has already been stated, the G70 will use an HTPC for the next one. So there isn't too much complaining I will us an HTPC also. The concerns about audio and PAL are valid, although the Momitsu does PAL as well as being region settable. Using a PC should get rid of any concerns about you guys being able to pick your audio. I am currently trying to get a Denon 5900 which should improve both the video on the 11k and the audio. I guess some would consider that one cheating too since the CRTs can't use the digital output on that one.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #94 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
After all the posts on this forum about how much better even cheap CRTs are than any digital I now find it kind of funny that I'm basically being accused of unfairly balancing the deck by using a $300 DVD player (that is after shipping from overseas and I could have brought my $199 player). Who would have guessed? :)
Me ;). My favorite though was the claim that the screen wasn't big enough at 80".
post #95 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Me ;). My favorite though was the claim that the screen wasn't big enough at 80".
That was a good one. For anybody interested in bringing a CRT over to my place we could do it on my 116" wide High Power. That is what most of my guests see my 11k on. That one cost me about $650. Would that be cheating, too? ;)

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #96 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hehehe.
I think the compare definately wasn't fair!
After all we had the focus guru with years of tweaking and a final recalibration on his CRT vs Darin's 15 minute setup with a room and screen he had never seen before.

Seriously though, this is too funny to watch, its not fair because he used a superior source (i.e. el cheapo chinese DVD player).???

It's not fair because he can plug a digital feed into his projector and you can't on the CRT. ???
Um excuse me, but isn't that like saying its not fair because I can't put tubes in my DLP? That is kinda the whole point, the digital pj offers something that the crt doesn't which may lead to better picture quality. So we should purposely feed a compromised signal to the Projector to make the comparison *fair*

What we are comparing is the picture quality isn't it? It would be interesting to feed both projectors the exact same source and compare, but it doesn't tell us a lot, only which projector copes better with that feed.
What would be relevant would be to have both projectors fed with the best quality feed available for them.

Anyway, I think the fact that people are scrambling for esoteric ways to make the match up fair proves the point

DON'T feed the troll.
post #97 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You guys are something.
How many of us run out PJ at 80"? Once you get to a realistic size then you will run out of space for a decent HT that can accommodate two rows.

No body is accusing anyone of cheating. It is all known that for a crt to shine you need to feed a signal that have not run to D/A conversion couple of times. If that dose not make sense then what can I say?

Added: I personally believe you got the best use of what was available.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #98 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Everyone must stand by what they say, I have no doubt that FPD will take over. It's just a matter of time which may be very soon I don't know.
I welcome some interesting reading when you hook up a HTPC or at least keep the AD/DA to a minimum.

Some will defend their equipment to the bitter end but I would think that most of the "defending" comments is based on experience.
Like how many times haven't we heard that this is it ?

I won't replace my CRT even if they do surpass the CRT, until it breaks down.
That is why I find this most interesting since Guy and Co. is probably the most objective in a shootout like this.
That however doesn't mean that we can't point out some errors in the testing method.
The best way though would be to have a CRT-nut and then one from the FPD camp.

Just to bad you're not doing the shootout in Sweden, would be there in a sec ;)

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #99 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not fair because this shouldn't be about the source, its about the projector. People who use a CRT because they think its the best, regarless of money aren't going to put up with the sound quality of some crappy chinese player even if they could use DVI. The test would have been much fairer if the CRT used something like an HD Leeza and an SDI modded Arcam DV27. Component from a $300 player and an old has been scaler aren't going to show CRT in the best light.
post #100 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Well, I also think that the test was kind of unfair, Guy is a crt-nut, right? :)
post #101 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:57 PM

i see many people are saying how they should use a Muke Parker modded CRT/HTPC etc, but in all honesty, how much can these mods improve on the image quality? im guessing myself you might see certain areas cleaned up in the video source or whatever, but im not so sure that they will make enough difference to decide on the winner, for eg. if there were MP mods to Guy's XG, you sure that would have made a difference to the point of beating the Sharp for image quality?

also i see many are saying this "shootout" was unfair, i dont think it was really unfair at all. the best way, which it seems is going to happen, is for the next shootout hook the projectors to HTPC's, which i think are sharper for PQ.

i dont think i will be wrong stating about the MP mods, though im not saying they do anything, just that they wouldnt do so much to the point of helping the CRT win.

it seems many people here for some reason just dont want to know that the DLP has wons in most regards and cant take it. it mightnt be how it is, but it sure does seem like it.

Luke Drew
ISF Certified
Video Display Calibrations
www.videocalibrations.com.au
post #102 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I would host an "hd2+ vrs my gov liquidation specail marquee 9501 lc"in cape cod MA.
post #103 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

"It also doesn't surprise me that the question that no one is asking is whether or not the source feeds going into these machines were reasonable, and might be fairly representative of what people are using."

Ah, but that is exactly what we (or rather I am) are saying.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #104 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm an ex DLPer, I would go back in a second if they were truly better. Rainbows, temporal dithering, stutter/judder, poor performance in dark scenes, 8-bit colour and screen door all get in the way. so while DLPs can look fantastic, they can very quickly show their weaknesses. CRT's can look breathtaking but most importantly keep their composure at all times.
post #105 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fredrik
Let's see, we had one mainly digital guy who happens to own a CRT (me), one CRT person (until yesterday) who happens to have a digital (Guy), and 3 people who own CRTs and no digitals. That's 5 guys. So, sorry if I laugh at the various assertions on the two forums that this was somehow not skewed toward CRT people enough.

I'm not sure if you guys caught this, but we had one CRT person trashing the image on the screen (actually it would be more fair to say he was fairly judging it) while he thought it was a digital and then was surprised to find out it was the CRT.

Jeffy,

So, would a Denon 5900 to the digital vs an HTPC to the CRT be fair?

How about a serious question to everybody? If I end up with a digital that can go very bright but also has super high CR, will you guys consider it cheating to use a gray screen that vastly improves the in-scene CR in any real room with the digital when the CRT won't work well with that screen? Or will I be forced to use a substandard screen match with the digital to try to level the playing field, even if I would never consider that screen a good match in my home?

I'm sure many CRT owners don't understand the advantage of a gray screen and think they are only for overcoming low CR problems. In short, they can greatly reduce the washout effect of reflections off the walls (improve ANSI CR) and all real rooms have reflections. But you need a bright projector to pull this off. A 5000 lumen projector with a 0.1 gain screen would have actual image CR very close to what the projector is capable of since it would do an incredible job of taking the room out of the equation. They also help with ambient light, but that is an effect that CRT owners might not care about.

I guess my question really boils down to this. When we are trying to decide which of 2 technologies will give the best images should we artificially handicap one of them because the other one is already handicapped?

--Darin

post #106 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Darin,

I havn't seen a Denon 5900, but its got to be better than the other player. :) What scaler will be used?
post #107 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm a diehard CRT'er and even I know that one day digital will surpass CRT. Is that day today? Don't know but I would say no based on my experience. The things that bother me most about digital such as temporal dithering, rainbows, light spill/absence of true black, etc... are still there for me. I for one am glad that the DLP showed as well as it did. It gives me hope that when my XG needs replaced there will be a digital that is as good and won't require a 2nd mortgage to pay for.

I would like to have seen a better signal on the XG (especially a 1080 HD signal) but that's life. I only hope that next time when the G70 is the contender we can get some HD signals.

I am curious of one thing...Did anyone measure the ft-L's of the projectors?
post #108 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffY
I havn't seen a Denon 5900, but its got to be better than the other player. :) What scaler will be used?
The 5900 has DVD-A and SACD and is considered one of the best for sound from what I've read here. As far as scaler, what do you mean? We would run the 5900 straight into the 11k at 720p and an HTPC straight into the CRT. So, the 5900 scaler/deinterlacer and (probably) mosquito noise reductor would be used for the 11k, but I still need to get a 5900. Is it unfair to use mosquito noise reduction from the 5900 to the 11k if the CRT can't use that? We don't have to buy a Teranex to level the playing field do we? :)

--Darin

post #109 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

That was my point exactly about not using a DVI feed because the crt isn't capable of taking one.
It's funny how the tone has changed from digital suck, and 'No comparison', 'unwatchable' etc. to 'well some messing with sources could make the crt look better'

I thought shootouts were all about which gives the best picture quality.

Three points come to mind though.

1. Like for like comparison.
Showing both projectors fed from the same HTPC or same DVD player does have some relevance, especially if one of the sources is something a reader happens to have at home. It allows for an interesting comparison, and gives us an idea how a digital would perform if we chucked it into our current crt setup, but is kind of like testing a ferrari and a Mini Cooper S by seeing who can get through city traffic fastest - it doesn't really come to much or tell us about the strengths and weaknesses of each.

2. Comapring best case with best case.
This is really interesting, many people here have stated time and time again that the image quality is what counts, and that they are striving for perfection etc.
In this case the screens should be tailored for each projector, as should the inputs. This can really tell us which technology has the better looking picture in which cases. For 'the future of picture quality' I think this type of comparison is most useful

3. Budget comparison.
Playing both systems of a standard HTPC with a standard Radeon card, and of a standard Momitsu style player, with a decent priced screen.
Lets face it, most of us here are cheap at heart! This would allow us to see how they would compare coupled with the type of equipment that most of us use currently.

And for HEAT and other guys that keep saying their 7" system will definately whip the DLPs arse, and that they know coz they used to own a DLP... That's like saying my Plasma screen will whip your direct view TV, coz I used to own a black and white zenith and it looked crappy compared to my new screen.

If you haven't seen a new generation dlp calibrated and setup in a home theatre environment, then you can't really make a relevant comment. (Although you can comment your opinion of course!)
Its like saying my dad can beat your dad, your dad might be toughest on his block and tougher than anyone you have personally ever seen, but you haven't even seen the other guys dad in a fight - He's a lot tougher than you 'guessed'

DON'T feed the troll.
post #110 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
[b]Let's see, we had one mainly digital guy who happens to own a CRT (me), one CRT person (until yesterday) who happens to have a digital (Guy), and 3 people who own CRTs and no digitals. That's 5 guys. So, sorry if I laugh at the various assertions on the two forums that this was somehow not skewed toward CRT people enough.
Sorry haven't read the whole thread in the digital forum. I thought it was you and Guy...my misstake.
Maybe it was in the thread but what I would suggest that it would be someone who basicly has to be blown away by the quality of either side.
If not it's just down to personal taste as so many times before.

It also sounds like you are taking this personaly which might be easy to do in a case like this but this hardly benefits the objectivity no matter which side you are on. But that simply is a whole other discussion.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't need someone to tell me that I made a good or bad choice. If it's beaten then that is just the facts of life that there will eventually always be something better or surpassed by something.
If it is better then great, then it will be something out there when my beast breaks down and time for me to find a replacement.

But I rest my case until the new test has been completed....looking forward to it.

post #111 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not use the 5900 for both? HTPC's can be fine, but they very rarely live up to my very high expectations, except for my HTPC that is ;)
post #112 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It also sounds like you are taking this personaly which might be easy to do in a case like this but this hardly benefits the objectivity no matter which side you are on.
Maybe we're reading different posts but Darin appears to be rather humored by it. The ones who are taking it personally are those who now need to find fault with an excellent, albeit not perfect comparison.
post #113 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd say Darin is one of the few here not taking it personally! Just a lot of people missed the fact that most of the people in the room were crt fans and not the other way around.

I don't think that anyone that bought any projector made a bad choice. I do think that a lot of people come to these forums to get some idea of what is out there, for how much, and what people think of the various bits of gear before going and making their choice.
That's why I am glad to see some real compares starting to happen rather than someone with a dlp or crt that has never seen the other in a real setup just saying the other one sucks.

When is the G70 showdown?

DON'T feed the troll.
post #114 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

You got me I guess I have to find some excuse now.

I don spek inglisch veery wel :D

Hows that ?

post #115 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
Maybe we're reading different posts but Darin appears to be rather humored by it. The ones who are taking it personally are those who now need to find fault with an excellent, albeit not perfect comparison.
And on and on we go....I find this discussion quite funny as well.
Since we seem to have to define perfect comparison before we go on.

post #116 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Since we seem to have to define perfect comparison before we go on.
One that comes to the conclusion you want, of course ;) :D.
post #117 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
One that comes to the conclusion you want, of course ;) :D.
How could you have guessed :D

Not really since I really don't care of the outcome as long as it is something that shows some form of equal comparison.
It's never going to be 100% equal since if we choose to go analog output from whatever source it will probably not benefit the DVI-capable FPD projector and the other way around of course.
But I can't say that I've heard of many reviews were the two or three combatants didn't use the same source and hold the possible medium degradation to a minimum for each side.
That is why I for the probably third of forth time now look forward to a htpc comparrison or the SDI route.
Ignore the other ramblings for now :D

BTW, what do you have against James Brown ? :D Nice photo.

post #118 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
a comparison that would make most people happy was "defined" about 3 pages ago but people who are jumping into the thread late are drudging up the same questions over again.:D I would pay money to be able to see the next round with the HTPC and Denon. How are you guys going to reconcile the different screen types ideally suited for the 2 machines? Maybe 1 on the front wall and 1 on the back? get some captains chairs you could swivel around in?

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #119 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Fredrik:

I'm a little bit jealous of your avatar there. I think your trying to steal attention away from mine :D.
post #120 of 500 Old 02-09-2004, 05:03 PM

i honestly think the HT1000 still holds up quite well compared to the higher end HD2's. ok, the screen door is more noticeable, but still is quite relatively small. the picture quality speaks for itself. i think the HT1000 is very close to the CRT's ive seen, it just has that punch in the image.

i still believe the HT1000 compares very well witht the higher end DLP's, i wouldnt class it as a half-assed DLP from what ive seen of it. i dont think you should take much back when you were comapring the HT1000 against the CRT's. i can see the SDE and the slight dithering it has, but it isnt that bad, i can still live with it at 80", more likely more. I just think Guy has really made it small to prevent seeing all those minor problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Before anyone on this forum needs to feel bad look at this way.
There were three projectors. And the only one that got embarassed is the one I'm using. I now feel like a real jerk. I've entered into all these conversations about DLP. And about DLP vs CRT. And now I realize I didn't even know what I was talking about. I haven't seen anything but a half assed DLP. One that can only make a picture the size of a postage stamp.
If I didn't have such an ego, I would take my little toy and go back over to the under $3500 forum where I belong. And keep my mouth shut.
So all you guys with nice CRT's shouldn't feel bad.

Luke Drew
ISF Certified
Video Display Calibrations
www.videocalibrations.com.au
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page