Geforce FX5700. Is it time for Radeon to leave your machine? Yes it is. - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #421 of 433 Old 10-10-2004, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
guys fot a HTPC is there a big difference between the 5600non-ultra and the 5600ultra. In terms of movie using the tv-out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 433 Old 10-11-2004, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Briands,

I have a 5700 ultra, and have to have power strip loaded much as I dont want to.

Where are the porch adjustments on the Nvidia driver ???

I have looked high and low for them.

I can move the picture around the screen to centre it, but cant find porch adjustment to resize it.

HELP

Graham
post #423 of 433 Old 10-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I'll have to take a look when I get home, but it seems the menu selection "analog display" opened a box with an "Advanced timing" button. In there you will find many settings similar to powerstrip.

Brian
post #424 of 433 Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

stoub wrote:
> Well without powerstrip, when I set 1280x720, the projector just blanks and doesnt recognize the signal anymore... <

On the BG801, you have to make sure your card is supplying negative sync (either via the driver, powerstrip, or an external Extron box). Without it, your Barco will not be a happy camper.

- Tim

- Tim
post #425 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"For those of you not following the Theater Tek2 threads and the threads on the HTPC forum. Here is an update on using a nVidia card.

I just learned from Andrew over at Theater Tek that the new TT2 will also use special features only available of the new nVidia 6600 and up cards when they come out next month. When the 1st 6600 comes out it will only be available as a PCI-Express card. Then a month later it will be available as an AGP card.

The newest nVidia cards will have even better video qualities than that the current nVidia 5700's and 5900's are using. TT2 will use those benefits.
This is all good if you want to stick to a hardware solution rather than a software solution (FFDshow). To use FFDshow you must have a P4 2.8ghz or a AMD64 CPU to get the full benifit of software rendering. They are saying that if you want to stick with your current CPU/MB and wish to go the hardware route then the newest nVidia 6600 cards and up are the way to go."

As per the above has any testing been done on this card yet with mp-1.

If you are using software rendering ie fddshow then presumably 5900 still the best option?

Where can I buy a mp-1 for the new card?

No matter where you go there you are!
post #426 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickd
[B

As per the above has any testing been done on this card yet with mp-1.

If you are using software rendering ie fddshow then presumably 5900 still the best option?

Where can I buy a mp-1 for the new card?

[/b]
Yes, so far the MP-1 has been attached to the following Nvidia:

The marriage has been a very good one. The cards have exceptional DAC's on them. The listed Nvidia as well as a Matrox Parhalia are the only video cards that I've been able to test, that would properly handle the very difficult bandwidth requirement of true HDTV 1080P resolution. The ATI's will do as well, but will not maintain the same low noise floor at the higher scan rates. So far I've not looked at the newer ATI's (I have one coming my way), and have only tested the 9500, 9800's for this performance factor. These cards will clearly outperform any stand-alone processor that I've had a chance to play with. I've yet to see a stand-alone processor truly handle 960P - but I've not looked at the multitude of units out there.

My latest mod has not been released, it's only in the hands of a few people so far. The cost will not change.

The newer cards have increased in performance, likewise the newer MP-1v3 makes a perfect companion for that extra performance of these cards. So much so, that I'm trying not to toot my own horn. So I'm looking forward to those who now have the MP-1v3 attached to either Nvidia or ATI cards to say what they have experienced. I'm now waiting to hear what the end user has to say:cool:

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #427 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

"I'm mike parker - and I approve this message"

:D ROTFL :D

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #428 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have one of MP's mods on a 5700 (will change to a 6800 or 6600 soon) and I can say that I'm very impressed with it.
I haven't had much time to post on this or really even test the card that much until the past two weeks but I have had this for a few month and have een using it for the past month.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #429 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure who Rick was quoting:
> They are saying that if you want to stick with your current CPU/MB and wish to go the hardware route then the newest nVidia 6600 cards and up are the way to go. <

but at the price of these new cards it may well be cheaper to throw out your old MB and CPU and buy new ones, than e.g. replace a 5700 with a 6x00 series video card.

Mike commented:
> These cards will clearly outperform any stand-alone processor that I've had a chance to play with. I've yet to see a stand-alone processor truly handle 960P - but I've not looked at the multitude of units out there. <

There are many standalone processors I haven't seen as well, but my Lumagen Vision does an excellent job at 960p, and that's their old model.

- Tim

- Tim
post #430 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim,
Mike has looked at the Lumagens and I believe his above statement stands. I've been there for some of his testing.

Hi Mike,
Been getting pretty busy for me up here, that time of the year you know. I'll give you a call tomorrow.

John
post #431 of 433 Old 10-24-2004, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

JBJR wrote:
> Mike has looked at the Lumagens and I believe his above statement stands. I've been there for some of his testing. <

Cool! I wasn't aware that he'd seen them, John. That's good to know, and very impressive performance. I should mention that the old Visions (which I have) are somewhat bandwidth limited beyond 840p (but still look very good at 960p), and are exceeded by Lumagen's newer units.

Thanks for the update.

- Tim

- Tim
post #432 of 433 Old 10-25-2004, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by VideoGrabber

I should mention that the old Visions (which I have) are somewhat bandwidth limited beyond 840p (but still look very good at 960p), and are exceeded by Lumagen's newer units.

Thanks for the update.

- Tim
That's about right. Somewhere right before 960P. But the earlier Vision from Lumagen was one of my personal best. The Lumagen rep left one with Makrk Haflich to demo. We tested it and found it to be a very nice unit. It did everything well, it handled the test patterns flawlessly.

It's also a very well designed unit. They chose to use a clean power supply and buffer the analog out from the DAC. Adding the buffer to the DAC was a very good thing to do, as all DAC's should have buffers (and/or line drivers) for long (10'>) cable runs. It's a jewel of a scaler, that works exceptionally well when used properly. Mark now owns the later SDI version. I've not played with that one, but I'm pretty sure that SDI input would make better for a cleaner 960P conversion. I just don't think it's a good idea to scale an analog signal to 960P. And it's not only the Lumagen that has the roll-off near 960P, everything else I've looked at also roll-off before 960P. The exception is the non analog (SDI, HTPC) units that does a much better.

But for DVD and regular video, the Lumagen does very well, as with so many other scalers. The problem for these units is when/if the intent is to exceed 960P, and this is where I was going earlier with the discussion on 1080P for HDTV. Most of the better video cards will scale DVD to 1080P with ease (for those who watch DVD @ 1808P), but 1920x1080P HDTV is a whole different beast to contain. For the high end 9" CRT owners that are using HTPC cards for scalers, they should make sure they have a good engine in that HTPC for this HDTV standard, because 1080P HDTV is right around the corner.

1080P HDTV movie samples can be downloaded off the internet. But in order to experience those samples in it's fullness, everything in the video chain has to be at a super perfomance level. And yes, specs do lie. For instance, how is it that every brand, make model of cable being sold have a cable capacitance in the window of 15pf to 17pf. The better rated cables (RG6) are listed at or near 17pf. The cheap and very thin junk has the same figures :rolleyes:

Plus the average spec for a projector list the bandwidth of that projector, and that bandwidth is determined by the maximum scan rate of the projector. It has nothing to do with the video chain. Actually the manufacturer should make sure that the projectors video chain (bandwidth) match the maximum scan rate of the projector. in other words, the projector will sync-to very high scan rates, but the video circuit won't properly resolve the video bandwidth at that scan rate :rolleyes:

I've found one thing out over the past two weeks playing around with HDTV. It gonna need a lot of headroom, to really look good. Enough is not enough.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #433 of 433 Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazzx
Ok I think I finally have read all of this post.

Looks like a 5700 Ultra will replace my Radeon soon - if its affordable.
Following up on this post.

I replaced it with the PNY Verto Geforce 5700 ULTRA agp @ 128mb DDR2 ram.

I am very happy with the card and I may even use another one to replace my main work pc.

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page