Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Clarence,
Does this mean your kids can no longer go to school and say "My daddy's screen is bigger than your daddy's screen"?

Shoot, I was expecting RP 'marcorsyscom' style. Lest any reader forget, Clarence does everything in a big way, especially screens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I doubt too many kids can top even a measly 9' wide screen.

If they do, I'll invite their dad over and have another friend for our "VA/MD/DC HT Meet and Geek" gatherings.
post #183 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is a really really good price for that mirror setup.

Don't mention your projectors or the price paid ever again - I am still feeling very sick....

DON'T feed the troll.
post #184 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 05:22 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
Each, not all total... ($225, $153, $254) plus I splurged on my $511 Marquee. Just to make everyone even sicker... 12 tubes and not a single one has visible wear.
You need to give me some tutoring on where to get one at that price .... I'm serious. I need a good starter projector.

CFC

Signature goes here
post #185 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

"Don't mention your projectors or the price paid ever again - I am still feeling very sick...."

Now you know why Clarence sports the 'green' Hulk in his profile.

Oh, BTW, it's the amazing 'Saint" Clarence now.
post #186 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Don't mention your projectors or the price paid ever again - I am still feeling very sick....
Dont feel sick! Be happy that he didn't spend big bucks on a really really nice unit, then treat it so poorly by throwing a 14foot screen with it! :eek:

:D
post #187 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, I prefer using the reclining couch method. Then you need 6 feet between rows, four is not enough. Or just have the front row as lazyboy reclining couches (reasonable price vs. theater seating).

Chris.

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #188 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, the UPS man delivered my $93 Da-Lite RP screen today... it looks (and smells) like a 10'x10' shower curtain. It's in good shape. One small booger at the top center, but since I only have 8' ceilings, I'm not going to use the full height anyways. Otherwise, it's in great shape. Not as many wrinkles as I expected. Hopefully they'll relax over the next couple of days.

I screwed a 2x4 to the basement stairs and hung the RP mirror on basement wall #3 (to go with my Marquee's 12'x8' megascreen on wall #1 and my ECP's 4x8 screen on wall #2).

I put a couple of nails in the ceiling joists and hung the screen using the loops at the top corners. It also has snaps about every 12", but I didn't have anything to snap it to (anybody got a snap grommet attacher tool?).

I dragged the VPH1271 across the room (I really should put the case back on it.) It only has 108 hours on the chassis and tubes (yes, 108; that's 5 days!) It's in great shape and it looked great when I turned it on for the first time. I haven't spent more than 3 minutes on focus and convergence (which is probably evident below).

Here's the quick setup showing the RP mirror held by a 2x4 on the bottom and yellow twine around the edge lip; tied (for adjustable tilt) at the top. See those black frame pieces? That's my unassembled Stewart RP mirror frame with a tilt platform for my CRT.

But tonight (until I figure out how that RP frame goes together), the VPH is tilted under the lenses with stacked scrap shelves (say that 5 times fast)...

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/rp-ss01.jpg

I slid the projector back a little, adjusted the mechanical center focus on the lenses, and did a 12 second alignment of the RGB crosshairs.

In the full size shots, you can see the s-video scan lines (I don't have an RGBHV IFB for this VPH yet).

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/rp-ss02.jpg

I don't recall the dark corner in the top left of that scene, so it might be slight hotspotting (or edge fading) exaggerated by my digicam as noted by others when taking RP screenshots.

The extreme right side looked yellow because the blue was obstructed by the white drain pipe. So I slid the projector to the left and in the second screenshot, the red tube is off the edge of the mirror (see the blue tinted edge on the left?) and the left 12" of the image is completely off the screen...

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/rp-ss03.jpg

For an hour long setup including mirror, screen, and projector; I think it looks great.

-Clarence
post #189 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Clarence,

Looks real good !!!

You're like Alfred Hitchcock, you always put yourself into every picture.

Bruce

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #190 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

With the luck Clarence has been having, I can see him getting a G90 for under $1000... oh and probably with 2 sets of spare tubes too. And maybe a free screen... :D

Makes me feel stupid for paying $650 for an old Barco G800, even though it came with an iScan plus and IRIS unit. :rolleyes:

I also paid $600+shipping for my mint 1031Q (my first projector).

Hey Clarence, if you ever host classes on how to buy projectors, enroll me ahead of time :D

Keep up the good work though, everything looks great.
post #191 of 981 Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, my luck is running a bit thin here...

I'd done all my planning based on dimensions estimated from a really tiny sketch of the new house's floor plan.

We went to the construction site and took actual measurements last weekend. I finally updated my visio layout:

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/ht15-rp.gif

Several of my key dimensions were off. How did this 25'8" x 19'2" room get so small?

I'm down to a 9' wide screen, and that's impractical because I'm only allowing for 12" of access behind a curtain next to the screen. If I move the screen forward, I lose seat/screen ratio. After watching 12' wide, I can't go down to 96". Argh.

The black squiggly lines are curtains. The black box on the rear wall is the main circuit box.

Hmmm... The boys' playroom is twice as large... (but it has 2 full height windows and a sliding glass door... too much light).

-Clarence
post #192 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

I have a working 0 degree 87" wide RP 9501 set up !It fits my 14'/13' room perfectly ! Screen material was $135 plus shipping. Pq is every bit as good as it was FP with better brightness no pj noise and the ability to watch with some light ! Happy as a clam ! Thanks Clarence, Jeff and everyone else !
post #193 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You could go down to 96" and get far better picture quality for limited resolution sources like dvds. And then you can pull your seating in closer to the screen to maintain that wide viewing angle you like. The screen won't have size impact when you walk into the room but it will have the size impact when seated and watching a movie.

I also have to ask if all those walls are fixed or if some are "fixed" in the drawing to bury a support post or column? If memory serves correct, there's a bathroom behind the 10' 2" wall. If any of these boundaries are flexible, maybe a little creativity can add some volume to the room. Something along the lines of sliding under a support header and enclosing it in a valance and then exposing the support columns. Then the columns would be "played up" as a "feature" of the room. Which also makes me ask, is the ductwork and drain lines installed yet? These could end up as some surprises that can affect the design. And is the entry door fixed? I am very curious what are the interior walls and what is on the other side of them?

And since you are now exploring rear projection, perhaps you can now work in that third row of seating, now that the projector isn't taking up headroom? Even if the headroom is compromised for tall adults, it could be very suitable for kids.
post #194 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good points Tedd...

Quote:
You could go down to 96" and get far better picture quality
Yeah, I keep telling myself that being limited to 9'w is a hidden forcing function which should yield the benefits of higher PQ that I've yet to appreciate. But my foolish 172" diagonal screen was a cheap and easy thrill for me and everyone else who tripped on their jaw when seeing it. I'm going to miss it.

Quote:
I also have to ask if all those walls are fixed or if some are "fixed" in the drawing to bury a support post or column?
Oh, they're VERY fixed... the 10'2" wall is indeed the bathroom, and all of the plumbing is right up against the wall: bath, toilet, and sink. I can't even find a place to put a 24" access panel to behind the screen. Stairs are behind the 15'6" wall with the fixed door at the bottom of the stairs. ALL of the other walls are backed with dirt.

Quote:
Which also makes me ask, is the ductwork and drain lines installed yet? These could end up as some surprises that can affect the design
Yep, I'm expecting that. Cliff's "duckwork" pictures yesterday were a nice reminder. I just hope it won't be too bad. The finished model home doesn't have any low ducts, but that space it divided into 4 separate spaces... They can't call it BR#6 because it doesn't have windows, so they call it a Den or a Bonus Room. The model has 2 huge closets: where my projection room is shown (plus a small unfinished utility closet to access the breaker box, shown on the left wall as a black square) and another closet where the 9'4"x7'8" lower-right corner is.

Quote:
perhaps you can now work in that third row of seating, now that the projector isn't taking up headroom? Even if the headroom is compromised for tall adults, it could be very suitable for kids.
Yep, as I was laying in bed last night (Sorry, Curt, no Hefner dreams for me), I was thinking that instead of moving my screen to the right a couple of feet to build an access (where the 1'6" marker is), I should try to push the screen back to gain some extra seating/screenwidth ratio, ideally enough for another row.

I'm also artificially constraining myself because I have these 40 theater seats which are in great condition... no cupholders and they don't rock, but they're suprisingly comfortable and they add to the local cineplex feel.

Maybe I'll move the screen back and add row 3 in the next draft.

Clammer: congrats on your RP! You've got to post your setup (no mirror, right?) and some screenshots. I'm very happy with the RP PQ. I couldn't isolate the light from behind the screen, so I haven't seen any additional ambient light capability, yet.

Thanks!
Clarence
post #195 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Clarence, if you fully mask the screen and paint the walls and roof black, you will swear you screen is 2ft wider than it is.

Benny's room is like this, and I would have sworn his 80" wide screen was 8ft wide. If you have no frame of reference, the illusion is spooky. I was pacing Benny's screen out because I wouldn't believe it was only 80" wide.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #196 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_A_W
it was only 80" wide.
This is why I love this forum.
In the real world, this is an insane quote. Here, it's reality.

Clarence: It does look like you will have to go down to maybe even 8' to allow access to the back. Maybe you can think of a clever way to use the full 10' and still allow access ... build a tunnel or something. :D

CFC

Signature goes here
post #197 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Don't laugh... I've done sketches with the screen and seats slanted 20 degrees to try to use a longer diagonal...

And have you ever scooted under the bottom strand of a barbed-wire fence while laying flat on your back or belly? I was thinking instead of a proscenium (stage under the screen), I'd have a foot high access panel...

And I was wondering if I could build a Scooby-Doo hidden access door under the sink in the bathroom to crawl into the RP room.

Ooh... what about a set of folding stairs from the living room above?!

:D
post #198 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Here's version 17...

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/ht17-rp.gif

Better or worse?

Has anybody installed/used a sliding pocket door? I was having a hard time with the door swinging open and hitting my risers.

-Clarence
post #199 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

And in theory, (see post #133), this should be the mirror geometry for a 102" RP screen.

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/mirror-screen.gif

-Clarence
post #200 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Clarence, I'm much too much of a klutz to *install* a sliding door, but we have one in our house. Works fine. Might tend to rattle quite a bit with lots of bass, though, since it's hanging from the top rollers and held losely at the bottom.

Looks like a mighty tight squeeze on the entry anyway. Maybe you should reduce the central row to 4 seats and narrow the riser? But of course then you wouldn't have the nice staggering of seats.
post #201 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You're right... it might look better on paper, but it'd be difficult (potentially dangerous) to enter/egress, especially in the dark.

version 18:

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/ht18-rp.gif

-Clarence
post #202 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

You're right... it might look better on paper, but it'd be difficult (potentially dangerous) to enter/egress, especially in the dark.

Instead of a marginal 12"-18" entry, what if I don't have a door into the projector room at all?

I'm thinking about tensioning the RP screen with 6"-9" bungee cords/loops every 12".
Like these:
http://www.dazian.com/assets/images/project_ties.jpg

Shouldn't I get to the point where I don't need to touch the projector everyday? And if I mounted the HTPC (or a modded Momitsu in/under the proscenium), then I could have the full 10' screen width.

I'd just unbungee the screen (or lift a corner like a tent flap) whenever I wanted to get behind the screen...

version 19:

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/ht19-rp.gif

-Clarence

P.S. In case anybody missed it (buried under today's visio revisions), I posted my first RP material screenshots last night.
post #203 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Has anybody installed/used a sliding pocket door? I was having a hard time with the door swinging open and hitting my risers
Can you install the door so that is swings out of the room instead of in?

Matt
post #204 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

How about mounting your screen in a separate frame and hinging it at the top? If you could build a rigid enough frame, you could hinge it on the side like a door.

Phil Smith
post #205 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith
If you could build a rigid enough frame, you could hinge it on the side like a door.
Or hinge it up to the ceiling. I thought of doing that with my theater so I could still use a window on my screen wall.

I'm not as good as I once was
but I'm as good once as I ever was.
post #206 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

post #207 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

You could use a modified proscenium to house the pj and move the screen further back. The proscenium would occupy unused floor space:

http://www.dallasmusic.org/Ebay/proscenium.JPG

It would probably require a pretty big mirror, and the proscenium might look odd. But I don't know, maybe not.

I don't know how good of idea this is...just thinking out loud...

Phil Smith
post #208 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

That's cool how you do the animation. Not that your drawings are anywhere near as good as mine. :D

Phil Smith
post #209 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:44 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool!
Like this...

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/screen-hinge.gif

-Clarence
I would imagine that you could swing it to the side also, like a door.
Looks to be a great idea though, and VERY feasible.

CFC
P.S: Is it a no-go for the cheap projector buying tutorial? :D

Signature goes here
post #210 of 981 Old 04-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool!
Like this...

http://herndonrelay.org/avs/screen-hinge.gif

-Clarence
LOL. You sure do alot of planning. I can only imagine what you did for your honeymoon night.......... :p

I'm not as good as I once was
but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page