Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey,

Well, I've removed the HTPC from the theater. I have a DreamX which is somewhat similar to the Momitsu as they are both Sigma 8500 players.

I think I'm going to redo the HTPC as a linux computer in my regular computer desk and then.. I'll use the source code that's been made available for Sigma 8500 players to make some mods at the firmware level. I'll have a steep learning curve though.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 06:38 AM
gn2
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add gamma control and a sharpness filter control and everyone will abandon HTPC for the Momitsu.
post #93 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Does the momitsu have the same ringing problem as the Liteon 2001 has? Its very evedent when using 1080i and is to the right of the image.

Fernando
post #94 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Chip, what exactly did you mean by making the Momo a "hub"? Are you saying you want to be able to route other video signals through it?

Figure out some way to route signals in, and run them through the Sigma scaler engine, and I think you'd have an absolutely KILLER setup. Then you wouldn't need an outboard scaler/deinterlacer for cable/sat/VCR. Right?

For now it seems like the Momo is a great answer for somebody who doesn't want to take the HTPC route. Excellent player -- maybe not hardcore-videophile quality, according to this thread, but very good -- with great support (so far) from the company, the potential for outstanding upgrades later on if I decide to spring for an MP-1 & hitman's mods, and/or add Chip's upcoming mod, and possible support from enthusiasts like Brian hacking the firmware to add new features. Hard to beat that for $250!

Gary
post #95 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by garyfritz
Chip, what exactly did you mean by making the Momo a "hub"? Are you saying you want to be able to route other video signals through it?

Figure out some way to route signals in, and run them through the Sigma scaler engine, and I think you'd have an absolutely KILLER setup. Then you wouldn't need an outboard scaler/deinterlacer for cable/sat/VCR. Right?

Gary
Wrong, because the Sigma engine doesn't process the
signals analog, but rather digitally. There are no analog
input pins on the 8500 chip.

Greets,
Reinhard

Gimme a hot soldering iron. I got work to do ;o}
post #96 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh.

Well, that DOES kinda mess up that idea, doesn't it!! :)
post #97 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Hi garygritz,

Quote:
Originally posted by garyfritz
Oh.

Well, that DOES kinda mess up that idea, doesn't it!! :)
Yes, that was the first thing I checked out on the
Momi after I got it and open the chassis :D

Greets,
Reinhard

Gimme a hot soldering iron. I got work to do ;o}
post #98 of 460 Old 04-18-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightningman
Hi Mike,

Hmm, seems to me as if these are two different mods or am
I mistaking? Wonsug and hitman22 have installed your MP-1
into the momitsu (mod 1) and you (mod 2) were talking about
replacing some 9 components on the Sigma 8500 board (which
is the mod I'm interested in).

Greets,
Reinhard
My mod procedure was done to the component out (Y,Pr,Pb) only. I've not use the VGA or RGBHV out on the Momitsu.

Park,
so far I'm doing very well. I'm amazed at how well I'm doing inb such a short time. I also have a new shop that I'm really excited about. So look forward to some good things to be announced... I'm myself again.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #99 of 460 Old 04-19-2004, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

"My mod procedure was done to the component out (Y,Pr,Pb) only. I've not use the VGA or RGBHV out on the Momitsu. "

This is the one I would like to hear about. Because I'm using the component output of my player.

-Brian
post #100 of 460 Old 04-19-2004, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is no reason that you couldn't add gamma and sharpening to the unit via a firmware update I would imagine.
Anyone gotten onto the manufacturer, they have been pretty responsive in the past - Wonder if there is an SDK for the momo?

DON'T feed the troll.
post #101 of 460 Old 04-19-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been looking at Hitmans pictures of the mod installation. I'm trying to figure out where he is getting switched power for the MP-1 power supply.
Unless I missed something, everything in that area is live full time. I only had time for a quick poke around with a meter so it could be me.

Chip

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
post #102 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 02:16 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
Add gamma control and a sharpness filter control and everyone will abandon HTPC for the Momitsu.
Note quite!

A few things missing (which TheaterTek have):

- Aspect Ratio control and automatically setting AR correctly by reading the AR flag on DVD, along with per-DVD AR editing for some of those "oddball" DVD's.
- A "Set Movie Start" feature so that you skip the intros and menu next time you pop in the movie (also plays with your sound option selected such as DTS or DD).

It's getting close though!

Kal
post #103 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

"Aspect Ratio control and automatically setting AR correctly by reading the AR flag on DVD, along with per-DVD AR editing for some of those "oddball" DVD's."

If the momitsu is like my DreamX (and I think it is in this regard) then the once the AR is set in the menus (16:9 screen defined) then flags are used to control the AR of program material.

I have some discs that are non-animorphic widescreen but flagged as 4:3.. one push of the zoom button displays them properly.

-Brian
post #104 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

"Wonder if there is an SDK for the momo?"

Well.. the source code that I downloaded is really a SDK for Sigma players. That means it should apply to Momo and my DreamX and other players like the Bravo.

I haven't gotten Linux up and running but I had a look through the source code that I DL'ed using WinZip and there's a lot there.

I don't know if I'll have all the needed tools to do much with the SDK but I can certainly make "skins" for the players so that some of the static graphics can be removed or made red and therefore CRT friendly.

-Brian
post #105 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 03:19 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Originally posted by Brian Hampton
"Aspect Ratio control and automatically setting AR correctly by reading the AR flag on DVD, along with per-DVD AR editing for some of those "oddball" DVD's."

If the momitsu is like my DreamX (and I think it is in this regard) then the once the AR is set in the menus (16:9 screen defined) then flags are used to control the AR of program material.

Interesting! So it does work!

have some discs that are non-animorphic widescreen but flagged as 4:3.. one push of the zoom button displays them properly.

All non-anamorphic discs are flagged as 4:3 since in fact it is a 4:3 disc, just that only a portion of the 4:3 window is used. So it's impossible for any software or hardware player to know the difference between a regular fullscreen 4:3 dvd and a non-anamorphic widescreen movie that's only using part of the 4:3 frame for the 1.78:1 (or whatever) image.

Kal
post #106 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, where did you get the SDK from - I wanna get hacking :)

DON'T feed the troll.
post #107 of 460 Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 PM

Well... now if we could get the MP-1 Mod sold separately... pick up a Momitsu and do the installation on my workbench... Hmm.... would this be possible?
post #108 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kkanizar
Well... now if we could get the MP-1 Mod sold separately... pick up a Momitsu and do the installation on my workbench... Hmm.... would this be possible?
Can't you get it seperate?

Our reseller in Aust sells it mod only

http://www.hometheatrepc.com.au/default.php?cPath=21

It would be a good kit for MP to put together, maybe MP-1.4:D
(mod + detailed instructions etc)

Battlestar 1292 constantly fighting off the evil one eyed invaders.
--------------------------------------------------
My WEB PAGE
post #109 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

"All non-anamorphic discs are flagged as 4:3 since in fact it is a 4:3 disc, just that only a portion of the 4:3 window is used. So it's impossible for any software or hardware player to know the difference between a regular fullscreen 4:3 dvd and a non-anamorphic widescreen movie that's only using part of the 4:3 frame for the 1.78:1 (or whatever) image."

Actually, I think you are not correct. For example Lady and the Tramp is non animorhpic widescreen but I think it's flagged as such because it displays already zoomed. In Zoomplayer's advanced aspect ratio setup page you could preset how you wanted animophic, 4:3 and letterbox (meaning non-animorphic widescreen.) Apperently you can still set a flag if you're a widescreen disc that's not animorphic.

dokworm,

The SDK is here..

http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/ports/arm/EM8500/

-Brian
post #110 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 07:29 AM

Can some put a link in for wonsug's mod

Where can you get the momitsu in Australia

Regards
halo1963
post #111 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 08:26 AM

re: gamma control

My Marantz VC-8100 does, and you get a 300+1 disc changer too....

erie
post #112 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Halo1963
Can some put a link in for wonsug's mod

Where can you get the momitsu in Australia
Michael Fugaro is importing them into Australia.
I think he's asking $450AUD

It costs around $400AUD to import from O/S.
It's probably worth paying the extra $50AUD for having seller in Aust for warranty purposes etc

I've been told he is currently opening a shop. He's located in Melbourne.

His email MFugaro@eqt.com.au

Check out this thread on HTcentral

http://www.htcentral.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=875

Battlestar 1292 constantly fighting off the evil one eyed invaders.
--------------------------------------------------
My WEB PAGE
post #113 of 460 Old 04-21-2004, 06:17 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually, I think you are not correct. For example Lady and the Tramp is non animorhpic widescreen but I think it's flagged as such because it displays already zoomed. In Zoomplayer's advanced aspect ratio setup page you could preset how you wanted animophic, 4:3 and letterbox (meaning non-animorphic widescreen.) Apperently you can still set a flag if you're a widescreen disc that's not animorphic.
Interesting! Are you sure there's a flag to differentiate between letterbox and 4:3? It makes sense that there are two different AR setups available in ZoomPlayer (or any other player for that matter) since you you need to zoom in for letterbox movies while you don't for 4:3 movies. But actually having a different flag on the DVD is another matter.

If you stick in a letterbox movie and ZoomPlayer knows to use the letterbox AR settings instead of the 4:3 AR settings (or vice versa if it's a fullscreen 4:3 movie), then I'll agree! But I remember this coming up some years ago when TheaterTek first came out and Andrew Chilvers (the author) brought up at the time that there was no difference in the two in terms of the flags on the DVD so you have to manually switch over to your "letterbox" AR setup for letterbox movies.

Now, with TheaterTek (and most likely Zoomplayer as well), once you set the AR to use for any specific movie, the player will remember to use the same AR next time.

I probably have 100 or 150 non-anamorphic letterbox movies and out of the probably 50-60 I've played with TheaterTek, non have automatically used the my "letterbox" AR settings the first time I play them. They've always started up in 4:3 mode in Theatertek making me have to hit my "AR" button on the remote to cycle over the my "letterbox" AR setup (which I then save for that disk so that it comes up correctly next time).

I'd search for the discussion we had with Andrew on the TheaterTek forum but alas, it looks like theatertek.com is down at the moment!

Kal
post #114 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kkanizar
One of the things that will be announced when the changes are made to my website, will probably include the MP-1 as being purchased separately, or possibly kit form. I can't say for sure, mainly because individual sales/mods will be offered by someone other than myself.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #115 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 04:49 AM

Mike,

That sounds great! I would prefer to purchase directly from you. You created it... no middle men....
post #116 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Kal,

I believe there are 3 flags for DVD's. Animophic, 4:3, and Non-Animorphic widescreen. In ZP, you can set how each of these is handled per the flag. This is different from the various presets and this doesn't function like Dscaler where some evaluation of the black pixels is used to determine AR.

I have non animorphic discs with correct and incorrect flags though it's hard for me to remember which are which. I think Hair, and Angie are flagged as 4:3 although they are widescreen while Lady and the Tramp is non animorphic but it's flagged as widescreen and zooms automatically.

I could be wrong but I think that's right.

(Maybe even if you don't switch to Momitsu.. you may want to check out ZP. :cool: )

-Brian
post #117 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 06:44 AM

Does the MP-1 come standard on any cards if it does can some one list them
i know heaps of users have shown interest in getting this separate
Is this going to be possible soon ?

Regards
halo1963
post #118 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe there are 3 flags for DVD's. Animophic, 4:3, and Non-Animorphic widescreen. In ZP, you can set how each of these is handled per the flag. This is different from the various presets and this doesn't function like Dscaler where some evaluation of the black pixels is used to determine AR.
Brian, I did some more research and you're right! There *is* a AR flag available on DVD for letterbox (non-anamorphic widescreen). There are actually 4 AR flags available: Anamorphic, 4:3, Letterbox, and 16x9 pan&scan (used by some DVD menus).

As it turns out, all of my letterbox DVD's that I've tried as MIS-FLAGGED as 4:3 movies probably because they're very old (1997'ish).

Quote:
Originally posted by Halo1963
Does the MP-1 come standard on any cards if it does can some one list them
i know heaps of users have shown interest in getting this separate
Is this going to be possible soon ?
The MP-1 does not come standard from any manufacturer. You have to buy the modified cards from various places that are approved to do the install since it requires soldering skills.

Mike mentions a few posts above about possibly providing a separate kit in the future... This may be a kit that will attach directly to your VGA output (no soldering required), but better still is to use the method currently used in which the mod is directly connected the MP-1 to the video output traces on the card BEFORE the signal has a chance to go through the low pass RF filter (which most cards have to varying degrees).

Even if Mike decides to release an add-on kit for the DIY "soldering-iron equipped" crowd, I understand his hesitation. If someone's not very careful they could easily wreck their video card while soldering on the MP-1, resulting in an angry phone call because the end user thinks that the MP-1 mod doesn't work! :( I've bypassed the RF filters on pretty much every video card I've ever owned and it's pretty dainty soldering work what with all the surface mount components...

Kal
post #119 of 460 Old 04-22-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Kal,

Quite a few of my non animorphic widescreen titles are also flagged as 4:3. You would figure if the person doing the transfer knew enough to set up the right flag he/she would maybe also consider animorphic enhancement as well.

So.. if the title is flagged properly the AR will be automatic and if not the first zoom function (they are labeled like Zoom1, Zoom2, ect.) will fix the rest. If you jump to a chapter and then zoom the zoom will be canceled when the dvd moves to the next chapter but if you're like me and just start the movie at the beginning and push zoom it sticks.

-Brian
post #120 of 460 Old 04-23-2004, 10:36 PM

The RGBHV mod for CRT has a big following
Mike Parker's work is without doubt quality work
However a lot of us would like to mod the Momitsu for RGBHV our selves
The Momitsu has a lot of room inside and the mod does not have to be the MP-1 which is designed to fit on a video card inside a PC
You have to remove the BNC connectors anyway

There is a great knowledge base at this forum
The MP-1 specifications are well detailed so we know what we are after
The MP-1 mod is a high bandwidth RGB true 75 ohm line driver and filter circuit. It has a dual output that will allow two different output voltages. The voltage level for each of the three driver stages can be selected by using three mini jumpers that are attached on the mod circuit. Removing the jumpers will put the mod in the unity gain state (0.7Vpp in - 0.7Vpp out). With the jumpers on, the output level should be 0.76 to 0.79 Vpp output, with a 0.7 Vpp input. The circuits filtering will produce cleaner, tighter video. The MP-1 also improves and clarifies shadow detail, providing an improvement in image quality and improved color rendering. These dramatic results are accomplished with a very unique active filtering process, supported by a mini isolated switching power supply. In order to truly reap all the benefits, the MP-1 must have complimentary true 75 ohm, high quality high bandwidth cables and associated switchers (if used).
end Quote

Could some one please start a DIY thread
Or advise if this is beyond the users of this forum

May be Mike could help as this would not be the MP-1

Thanks

Regards
halo1963
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page