post #61 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 10:03 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Terry,

fyi - I usually set up for 1/2 to 1" overscan (each side). 1/2" on a G90, 1" on a G70. For others reading this, you must know how to focus the corners if you are going to do this.

I agree with you, it's not a big difference in light output. What you get for moving closer is an increase in resolution. I also agree that testing it first is the best way to go, that's how I arrived at my numbers. It's not a "one size fits all" either, I only do this for very specific projectors that I have tested (Sony G90, G70).

William

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Gary,

At one time I measured about 20 FtL on my Torus just absolutely maxed out on an XG1351 and I was specifically trying to see what I could get out of it. That was way to high and I turned it down to 12 or so.
John (Wireless) has the record on his VuTek curved screen with a 9500LC and I believe it was over 30FtL. Was like looking directly in he tubes at full contrast. Incredible. We turned it down to 15 or something like that. It was actually blinding up at 30 and made your eyes squint.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #63 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Wm.....lol. I like the extra 1" of so.
1/2", that is remarkable.

Terry

post #64 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Thanks both for commenting.

I have owned this PJ for well over three years now. Initially it was at 120", but thought it could have been improved upon. At the current setting, my DVD looks very good and I am away from edge on top corners. Your comment about busting the CRTs is a legit.

What was the highest resolution you drove the 2" overscan? Thanks

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #65 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I tend to run these machines that are on a 16:9 screen at 1280 x 720. Yes you can run at 960P but in most cases it produces a softer picture.

Terry

post #66 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Terry.
I am at 100% amp with 960p signal with Width v per specs. 88% amp with 1080i.
I really don't see softness (really) vs 720p. It very well may have to do with the fact that I only have 800 hrs on the machine. We will see how it works out after a few thousands. I am learning from the experts.

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

post #67 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, 960p

Oooops. On off keys only.:D

Big D
post #68 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

A g70 will do well at 960p on a large enough screen (96" wide or wider, I would guess). The one I set up yesterday at 960p was resolving scan lines, so it was not soft. 720p is only 44 khz vs. 63 khz for 960p, so it is easier for the projector. Make sure that you aren't seeing the scan lines themselves as information, making it look "sharper".

William

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
post #69 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So now you make me pose this question.

Has anyone that uses a V880 done calibrations both before and after doing a firmware update from earlier versions to the January release.

If so. Whether or not there was a change in the gray scale.

Big D
post #70 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Wm,
Since you are on this thread and responding, I have a question for you.
The Sony G70 when ceiling mounted has a bit of Gull Wing on the top horizontal line that I have seen on almost all G70 installs of this nature. Zone will help you take this out but not all of it. So my question is, have you seen this and if so are you able to remove it all and if so how??

Terry

post #71 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 01:46 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Terry,

Yep, pretty much all of them have this, as do the G90's to some extent, mostly on the left top (when inverted). Retrace bounce, basically. Start by resetting pin, key, and green zone to default in these areas. Use an external signal, not the internal generator. Try to balance out the bend l/r, make it look like a pin error, then adjust pin, rather than trying to fix it all with zone. Can you visualize this?

William

---
post #72 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 01:48 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

ps: there is a master width pot. Just thought I'd throw that in there to stir the pot a bit. Oh, now that was bad - must be because I am going on vacation for a few days...

---
post #73 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

That was BAD!!! No mention of that please. When it was told which pot it was on the XG's all of a sudden there was a rash of XG HV boards going bad. Can you guess why??? (max raster.....lol)
Enjoy your vacation.

Terry

post #74 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless the required width is achieved by a third party software and keeping the PJ's say at 90%, as I am doing! Any thoughts on that?

post #75 of 90 Old 05-27-2004, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Terry,

First you indicated cracked CRT, now it might be the width transistor.

At the above throw distance, amp at 90% with Pstrip I am reading 1.8v(or 3.8V, can't remember which for sure) which is well below specs. If ran maxed out without PStrip is 4.2v still 7% below rated volt rating across the VR. SO I don't know how it can cause a failure. These are NEC factory settings which have remained intact.

I would throw an image from 100" and still be happy. But I need a validation of some set up error here.

See there is a thin line between frying the phosphor due to under utilized raster and others due to over utilizing it.

Edit: Most people don't realize that running a PJ at 960p results in a smaller image on the faceplate. To compensate for that amplitude setting goes higher. Is not like over driving the projector. The final count is the voltage reading across the width pot that matters AFAIK.

post #76 of 90 Old 05-28-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Rombach
Hmmm, 960p

Oooops. On off keys only.:D
Congratulations again on the Sony Don and getting Terry to your place.

You can relax now - hahah - just remember that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered so do not get too greedy and live a long and happy life watching your new Sony G70 :)

Very interesting comments in this thread from some Big Names - Fun Reading :D.
post #77 of 90 Old 05-28-2004, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I currently have pretty much eliminated the seagull effect on my G70 by using pin control to push the top corners down (and bottom corners up), then using zone to push the corners back out. But I had to use a LOT of pin and a LOT of zone, so it's caused some problems in other areas of the grid that I can't fix, so overall I'd say it really didn't work very well. That severe of adjustment also caused a lot of drift, but it eventually settled down. My PJ is not mounted properly and I'm having to compensate for that as well, so maybe it would work a little better with a G70 that's installed right. ( I guess I should fix that, huh?)

I will say this much for my current setup; the outside border of the picture looks pretty darn straight.

PS: A couple of times in the past, I tried using pin to push the corners OUT instead of in, and using zone to pull them back. That didn't work near as well. Trying the exact opposite never dawned on me until a couple of weeks ago.

Phil Smith
post #78 of 90 Old 06-03-2004, 01:54 AM

I haven't been on the forum for a while, mainly because I set up my G70 per William's recommendations a couple of years ago and I just keep having this superb performance.

I set mine up about 6% closer to the screen than PJCalc advised, with no subsequent problems, as William recommended.

My original Dalite screen was quickly junked in favor of a 92x54 Stewart screen.

I use a Windows XP HTPC with a Radeon video card running at 1280 x 720 resolution at 72 hz using Powerstrip. Cliff Watson was very helpful for HTPC advice.

I feel lucky to have gotten good advice early in my setup. Now I feel I have an optimum and trouble free system.
post #79 of 90 Old 06-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

wm lays out a stinker and then goes on vacation. Sweet.

I've got the G70 service manuals and will tell anybody that wants to know, where the h-width pot is, as long as I get a shot at the downstream service revenue.

I'm at 116" throw as measured from the lip of the green tube barrel to the top of my 52" x 92" screen. H coarse max. h fine 150, Powerstrip timings tweaked. This is pretty close to the shortest possible distance. Excellent corner focus.

wm set up my pj during the last CEDIA in Minneapolis. This PJ has resulted in the sales of at least three other G70's in the area.
post #80 of 90 Old 06-06-2004, 08:24 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Vacation? What vacation? I'm doing a G90 setup in NY, then on to the UK for another one, plus 3 JVC DILA's. Hope to catch the Venus transit while I'm here, if you know a good "clear skies" dance, Tuesday morning at sunrise would be a good time for it folks...

William

---
post #81 of 90 Old 06-22-2004, 10:39 PM

In reading this thread, I was especially intrigued by what William posted about the master width pot, and the following replies which indicate all the problems that people subsequently experienced with projectors in the past (and not just Sony's) after making an adjustment to this setting in trying to maximize raster usage.

Being one who is new to projectors, I'm wondering if someone could explain just a bit more about the master width pot, what it is actually designed to do (as the posts seem to imply only bad things come from using it), and whether this is an adjustment that a novice should ever be messing with and, if so, what is the correct way to use/set it?

While I actually have an Ampro projector myself, I've read similar things in the Ampro threads about trying to maximize raster usage, adjusting the master width pot, and the subsequent problems with blown neck cards and/or HVPS. I'm guessing (perhaps wrongly though) the basic principles of setup are similar between brands and that any information gained on this matter from the setup experts in this thread will be beneficial to me in my setup quest.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #82 of 90 Old 06-23-2004, 12:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by wm
"5 BNC" mode refers to a cable that Sony sold that connected the projector to a Sony switcher. The cable was called the "5 BNC" cable. It also carried switching commands to the switcher.

William
The cable is called the CCA/Q cable, not the 5 BNC cable. It is used of course with Sony CRT projectors but also with other Sony professional video equipment, such as cameras and the like.

Congrats on the G70...pictures? :D

-Audiophil

JVC RS-40U Screening Room and Listening Room - Dedicated Home Theater Construction

post #83 of 90 Old 06-23-2004, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Can i do an Unistrut DIY ceiling rack mount for a G70 ?
post #84 of 90 Old 06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Audiophil - the 5 bnc mode is what you use then your using the switcher, but NOT using the CCA/Q cable. You turn "5bnc mode" on (and add another control cable) to enable control of the switcher from the pj - without the CCA/Q cable.

When you turn it on without a switcher (on a 12xx) you trick the pj into giving you some aspect ratios/contrast etc memories.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #85 of 90 Old 06-23-2004, 04:46 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Gosh, now everyone is an "expert"...

The cable I was referring to is called the "5 BNC" cable in the Sony manual for the G90 and G70, and earlier 12xx projectors.

Turning on 5 BNC mode gives you the ability to have more than one Input memory for a given input and signal. If all you want is Contrast, Brightness, etc you can do that with Video memories. Input memories have convergence data, Video memories do not. If you want to do aspect ratios in the projector, then yes, you would want to use Input memories for this because the convergence will be different as the vertical size changes.

I have on occasion found it necessary to adjust the master width pot. I have never damaged a projector doing this. I don't think it's the end of the world, but one does have to know what one is doing - but if you don't, why are you opening up the projector in the first place? You can also turn off ABG, crank up the gain and contrast, and fry your phosphors, but you wouldn't do that either, would you?

William

---
post #86 of 90 Old 06-23-2004, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, we're just a bunch of hacks ;-)

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #87 of 90 Old 06-24-2004, 12:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by wm
Gosh, now everyone is an "expert"...

The cable I was referring to is called the "5 BNC" cable in the Sony manual for the G90 and G70, and earlier 12xx projectors.

William
The cable is named as the CCQ BRS cable in my 1272Q manual, not the 5 BNC cable. Unless one is a Sony engineer, then we are all just Sony techs... however Curt P, could be considered an expert. :D Of course this cable is trival, who uses the Sony switcher anyhow?

-Audiophil

JVC RS-40U Screening Room and Listening Room - Dedicated Home Theater Construction

post #88 of 90 Old 06-24-2004, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Audiophil
The cable is named as the CCQ BRS cable in my 1272Q manual, not the 5 BNC cable. Unless one is a Sony engineer, then we are all just Sony techs... however Curt P, could be considered an expert. :D Of course this cable is trival, who uses the Sony switcher anyhow?

-Audiophil
I was wondering what everyone was talking about. When you said CCA, I never heard that number before. The two switcher cables are the SIC-M cable and the CCQ-BRS, the SIC-M is supposed to be a better cable, although they both have the same 14-pin connectors.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #89 of 90 Old 06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Expert? nah.... not me. I've not yet done my 3000th CRT projector setup. mebbe then. (over 400 G90's now, lost track of all the others) But if you want a D50, G70, G90 , or 9500 to look it's best, you might want to think about who you're gonna call...

---
post #90 of 90 Old 06-24-2004, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by wm
Expert? nah.... not me. I've not yet done my 3000th CRT projector setup. mebbe then. (over 400 G90's now, lost track of all the others) But if you want a D50, G70, G90 , or 9500 to look it's best, you might want to think about who you're gonna call...
Is that like Ghostbusters.....Who ya gonna call?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page