AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I can't stand it any more

11K views 317 replies 42 participants last post by  dawziecat 
#1 ·
So for whatever reason, I keep creeping over to other forums for fun, like the >$20K area, and once in a while I poke my head into the two forums directly under this one.

ICAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE!

Over in the $20K forum they keep discussing the merits of mega cables, and tweaks consisting of obtuse and oblong proportions and materials that make no sense to me.

In the other forums below us they keep speaking of bulb costs and superb images out of $1200.00 boxes.

I have seen the light, it's too damn bright!

I'll stray no more.

Curt

#227 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
I'm here. What's going on?..;)

Curt
I don't know, but it's best to humor him. :D

#229 ·
BUt I'm still 2113 posts away from being retired. Kinda depressing really..:)

Curt

#232 ·
I'm new here :)

How long to these battles usualy last?

Should i get some popcorn and throw it up on the big screen?

Maybe I can play the Rocky Soundtrack for some audio.

#233 ·
Now go back into the kitchen, and make me some pie!

-Cartman

#235 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by al pacino
can i have some?
You get NOTHING until I get an autograph!

#237 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by al pacino
:D

hmmm...
Godfather. :cool:

#238 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MyFifthTry
According to a Finnish friend-of-a-friend, it means "In avsforum I came across a message that adds up (or seals) the thing quite well."
Thanks. I am glad to find out that I wasn't being insulted in Finnish....as I would really have no reply.:D

#239 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
Ya'll need to be more reasonable with this debate. For example...

Generally speaking, digital projectors have more light output and make a brighter picture. If you argue with that then you've gotta be kidding. That's not even debateable.

Generally speaking, there aint no way those little disposable blast furnace sardine cans are gonna last as long as a CRT projector. All that's needed to know that is a little common sense. Don't need statisticians and studies for that.

If you're gonna debate this, be fair. Don't resort to arguments that nobody really believes.
Robert - Well said !

Always fun to hear everyones point of view - especially when pride of ownership is involved - it is difficult to be the proud owner and still be perfectly pragmatic. Without seeing the Qualia I cannot speak to it; but feel confident it would satisfy many people.

On the differences in forums - lol - "the original topic" - people generally do not accept what they have not seen which leads to intolerance and unfortunately a narrow point of view. Let's face it CRTs are not for everyone, but the same holds true for Ferrari's, or trucks versus cars, for a myriad of reasons. When we get intolerant we stop hearing and often learning as well.

Depending on my available space and the job to be performed my preference for using a digital versus a CRT is likely to change. I want to use the technology that works best for the task at hand.

I use my $12,000 digital projector - 1024x768 - for gaming, portability (it can throw a very decent movie picture from the regular video off any DVD player when viewed from 14/15 feet, with it's built in Faroudja electronics, and can be setup at a friend's house in short order), and also for presentations .

If the LCD panel breaks the machine will be toast because I will not spend the $4,500.00 it cost to replace it - it had to be replaced initially when I got it under warranty. I will just buy another one that is probably as good or better for a couple of thousand more than the cost of repairing the panel because this is what I do with digitals for the most part - when digital FPs have a major component break they go to the junk pile either through lack of part availability or cost.

I am primarily a movie fan but enjoy HD Sports as well. I like to watch movies in a room dark enough not to see my hand infront of my face, and sports with about 300 - 400 watts of directed light in the back half of the viewing room (30 feet x 22 feet) so I am using a Sony G70 with a Stewart Ultramatte 200 screen that is 87 inches wide to accomplish my goal. Brightness is not a problem with this setup. It works great for both movies and sports. The FP screen is actually close to the same brightness as my Sony RP 50 inch wide HD. I have ample lighting for talking and eating refreshments when viewing sports.

I love the liquid 3D like picture from the Sony G70 - for movies and sports it is awesome. For presentation, games, and portability the digital FP is king. When we go on vacation I pack my small DVD Player, digital FP, and about 10 movies and we are good to go for week.

#240 ·
Very well said!!!;)

#241 ·
I'm still trying to get a visual of a tent in the middle of nowhere with a bedsheet strung between trees for the projector..;)

Curt

#242 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
I'm still trying to get a visual of a tent in the middle of nowhere with a bedsheet strung between trees for the projector..;)

Curt
Besides you, who's in "the middle of nowhere?

#244 ·
Did you know we can't use digitals here in Canada?

The heat from the projectors would melt the roof of our igloos.

Curt

PS: Aiming all of the Canadian bows and arrows south with the arrow tips set for 'stun'.

#245 ·
Go ahead SHOOT, we've got our shields up.......and we're holding a hostage!:p

#246 ·
Curt

I suggest we Canadians all band together to get Techman.

As soon as we get a paved road to the US I'm going after him. I'm saving my beaverpelts and gonna trade em on some wheels or perhaps I can just climb on one of our giant Winterpeg Mosquitos and fly down there.

If HongCouver is the middle of nowhere then Winterpeg is definatley in the Armpit of nowhere.

I'm gonna write my eskimo elders and ask them not to sell any more water to the States.

Steve

#247 ·
Write to the elders?

you mean smoke signals, right?

Curt

#249 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Curt

I suggest we Canadians all band together to get Techman.

As soon as we get a paved road to the US I'm going after him. I'm saving my beaverpelts and gonna trade em on some wheels or perhaps I can just climb on one of our giant Winterpeg Mosquitos and fly down there.

If HongCouver is the middle of nowhere then Winterpeg is definatley in the Armpit of nowhere.

I'm gonna write my eskimo elders and ask them not to sell any more water to the States.

Steve
I'm waiting for ya. You can trade you beaver pelts for G70's, since you think I have them ALL:p lol

I'm gonna have Sony put you on the nooooooo G70 list. Now don't go blaming me for your selling you GOOD projector, I didn't advise you to. It was those people who buy ALL the XG's.:rolleyes:

#251 ·
I find there are two kinds of Digital people out there. The real young that grew up with digital everything from cartoons, film animation and games. Then the older gerneration that were adults in the 70's and 80's and fell for the CD player thinking newest is better.

When I talk to guys in their 20's and younger at work they look at me as if I told them that the bible is just a mass newsletter. Its like telling someone that the planet is flat and you have to be nuts to think otherwise. Truly crazy since even a 5yr old just starting grade school knows the world is round. You get my drift )

Then you have the older generation that fell hook and sinker for the new technology and refuse to listen to any kind of logic or evidence otherwise. Main reason being is that they don't understand the technology to begin with.

Both groups are basically brain washed by the media. Unwashed masses that are ignorant about technology. I'm not blaming them. No one could. Thats why CRT Projectors and Record Players are not for everyone.

*analog fans may be blind

but digital fans are deaf*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.