Closed Thread

post #301 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The thread is amusing...

My wife and I were looking at the Sharp z12000 projector. As we may replace my CRT (long story).

The unit is very quite. We are willing to give up PQ for it being much more quieter .

Afterall, I have invested more than 8K in audio system.
When I was testing the DVDO using my computer monitor, the experience was great (from an audio point of view) I heard nuances in sounds that I miss with the 6PG over my head.

I am starting to wonder if I am not an audiophile more than a videophile.
I spend alot on concentration on sound more than video at times.

if I want best of both worlds, I need to find a way to quite my next projector.

In this thread we only look at the video side of things in HT not the audio.

MY GOD PEOPLE, I WANT TO HEAR THE DOG BARKING IN THE DISTANCE IN GLADIATOR AS WELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

clopez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

hushbox? I've only seen one hushbox in person and it was impressive. It was at Art's HT meet. I sat right under both G90s for over 3 hours and barely noticed the noise of those 2 monsters. Very impressive. The sound isn't gone, but its barely there.
post #303 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally posted by clopez
My wife and I were looking at the Sharp z12000 projector. As we may replace my CRT (long story).

The unit is very quite.
Interesting. I have one of these (the Japanese version) and there are definitely quieter projectors out there. In the same class, the Marantz S3 is noticably quieter. I don't know if anything is quieter than the Qualia, but that is a different class.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #304 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Darin,
That was an initial view. As we go back to and review in a more controlled setup.
We will see.

clopez
post #305 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 12:33 PM

"I had no idea how much better CRT's look than the digitals I saw at BB or CC".

Who has EVER seen a FPJ OF ANY TYPE actually in operation at a BB or CC? I have not.

I think THAT is the real reason why these digitals, many costing very substantially less than RPTVs, are so rare in consumers’ homes. People have no idea what kind of picture can be had for $1500-$2500 CDN. They don’t get to see them at all. And, if some CC or BBs DO have them set up, I shudder to think about the conditions they are displayed in.

CRT PJs NEVER went anywhere with consumers! The reasons for that are obvious and all but ignored here by those who take CRT FP as some kind of religion.

I would have preferred a used CRT. I understand they are a fantastic bargain . . . for those prepared to deal with them. Their pricing is still an aberration . . . reflecting wholesale flight of private enterprise, government and educational institutions away from this technology. Why, oh WHY do you think they are doing that?? Are they ALL ignorant and uninformed?

The shipping for the CRT FP I was considering was $475 CDN! What was I going to do with the 175 lb behemoth once I got it here? No herd of post-adolescent male children to heft it about for me. And the odds of a DOA unit? High! (The only person I personally know of who went this route had his unit DOA)

For some of us, despite all the wonderful advantages CRT FPs offer, the beasts are just plain impractical AT ANY PRICE! Let’s not even think about buying a new G90! I doubt even amongst this den of fanatics, a single person here has done that. I repeat it again, the pricing of these CRTs is but a freak of the marketplace and it will be temporary.

In the meantime, digitals get better and the price falls.

I have no cause to dispute that a CRT will throw a better picture than my Z2. I do not expect the Z2 to last for 30,000 plus hours even WITH many bulb replacements.

I DO (emphasis added) take issue with anyone claiming my Z2 picture is so inferior to that from a CRT that it is garbage and can not be enjoyed. Anyone claiming so is just being argumentative . . . and unreasonable.

So, I consider myself quite well informed . . . and I chose digital over CRT.

Regrets? Not really. The Z2 experience is mighty good. The CRT threatened to be a hassle and I have enough persnickety machines making my life a misery already.

Would I have preferred a high-end CRT, delivered and mounted, for say, $3000 CDN? Very likely, yes!

But it wasn’t likely to happen that way.

Terry Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography
http://danks.netfirms.com/home.htm
post #306 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Just remember, when your Z12K came out, it had a list price around its model number $12,000 USD. When picture quality and longevity is compared with a Marquee, NEC XG or G70, for well less money, which would you choose?

Even though they are half the money now, they are STILL more than a fine CRT projector. I doubt if you could find a "fine" CRT projector for $3,000 CDN as you said though. (let alone mounted and setup)

The bottom line is that if you don't want to or are unable to deal with the intricacies of CRT, then the Z12K is a decent choice, all things considered.

edit I just realized that you were only referring to the Z2, but the facts are similar.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #307 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally posted by dawziecat
"I had no idea how much better CRT's look than the digitals I saw at BB or CC".

Who has EVER seen a FPJ OF ANY TYPE actually in operation at a BB or CC? I have not.

My local BB has a Sharp 9k on display in their new "upscale" home theater section...

Robert Clark
post #308 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

andres electronics here in penticton has about 4 hts set up and he usually showcases dlp,s and lcd,s in one of his theaters for comparison purposes, so far from what i,ve seen my 1271q is still whoopin butt................

behind every successful man is a suprised mother-inlaw......
post #309 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
Just remember, when your Z12K came out, it had a list price around its model number $12,000 USD.
It still does. Hasn't changed. The MSRP is as irrelevant now as it was then and pretty much as irrelevant as the MSRP of those CRTs you mentioned. If we are going to use MSRPs, then why is it only done for one side? You guys sure would scream if I quoted the street price of a 12k against the list price of a new CRT as an argument for the 12k.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #310 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but when it (the Z12K) first came out, there were dealers trying to charge that while supplies were still short.

Just like some Sony broadcast dealers might have quoted a corporation buying a G90 for a conference room $40,000. Even though you could have recently bought one for about 28K new.

You still would have to pay at least 6K for a new Z12K, which is as much, if not MORE than say a new or like new G70, NEC 1352, or Marquee 8500 Ultra.

Which one would you rather have for your 6K ?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #311 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd pick the 12k.
post #312 of 318 Old 07-24-2004, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
I'd pick the 12k.
You're a "digital man" now, so I'm not surprised. But when you spend 6K on a projector, you would like to think it will last more than a year or two before you have to throw it out. They're (digitals) made to last (hopefully) through the warranty period and beyond that, you're on your own if anything goes wrong.

Good Luck with it.:D

post #313 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Which one would you rather have for your 6K ?
Obviously, I would rather have the 12k. I could buy any of those others if I really wanted to.
Quote:

But when you spend 6K on a projector, you would like to think it will last more than a year or two before you have to throw it out. They're (digitals) made to last (hopefully) through the warranty period and beyond that, you're on your own if anything goes wrong.
As opposed to being on your own from the first day. :)

Why would somebody have to throw out something like the Sharp 12k after a year or two? I've never heard of such a thing. I haven't heard of Sharp 9ks being thrown away. Have you? Can you name one instance of a Sharp 9k being thrown away?

They get sold, but that is a whole different thing. Where did you get this year or two and throw out thing with a projector in the class of a 12k?

--Darin

post #314 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I am becoming torn between the purchasing an XG-110 (new VCD tubes) and the Sharp12K.

3 months ago I would have said the XG only. After my 6pg died and is being repaired. I find myself just wanting something "simpler". Just set it up, calibrate it and leave it. No temptations to try different resolutions. No temptations to do other tweaks.

This is also allowing me to re-evaluate who I am. I am very odd.
I like the best picture possible, but then 4 weeks would go by and I would watch only my 32" TV and do not go down into the dedicated HT room.
I will spend hours tweaking a picture, but easily watch a "poor" s-video recording for hours and it doesn't bother me.
I even wanted to reduce my screen size from 92" wide to about 80" wide, but she knocked down that idea.

In the 2 years I had my CRT it has about 500 hours on it. Most from setting it up and tweaking it.

But too much struggle in me, I am being tormented.
In the end , If we can get the IscanHD to play nice with the 6pg. I may just keep the current setup and put all the savings into my deck (After all it gets alot of use).

My wife has open the floodgates of getting anything I want., however, somethings I can't justify based on my viewing habits.

I am even looking into a BENQ 7800, or a 8700

clopez
post #315 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You're a "digital man" now
I've progressed from Biboy to Digital Man. Has a nice ring to it. Sort of a superheroish quality. I'll take it.
post #316 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
I've progressed from Biboy to Digital Man. Has a nice ring to it. Sort of a superheroish quality. I'll take it.
I sorta liked "The Sultan of Cheap"!:D

post #317 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally posted by dawziecat
For some of us, despite all the wonderful advantages CRT FPs offer, the beasts are just plain impractical AT ANY PRICE! Let’s not even think about buying a new G90! I doubt even amongst this den of fanatics, a single person here has done that. I repeat it again, the pricing of these CRTs is but a freak of the marketplace and it will be temporary.

dawziecat,

I think your post had some great points and I wouldn't really disagree with any of them( except this one of course) but I really am enough of a fan of the kind of quality only CRT can provide that I bought two new G90s for my system. Yes ,I'm a fanatic but since being able to see movies in my home that would rival or surpass even some of the best film presentations is MY goal this was the only real choice for me at this time.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #318 of 318 Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 PM

not only of your set up, which I would LOVE to see, but of your, er, . . . buying power!! :>)

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
bought two new G90s for my system.
Art

Terry Danks
Nature & Wildlife Photography
http://danks.netfirms.com/home.htm
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page