I can't stand it any more - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
nah he,s a road warrior that likes to mix it up every now and then with the crt folks a real pot stirrer:D :D :D

behind every successful man is a suprised mother-inlaw......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
Darin, when's the party?..;)
How about a week from Saturday (the 24th)? Just let me know if you want to come by. I will probably show a movie on the 3 chip DLP and then show some stuff on the Qualia. I have the 3 chipper for sale on Videogon, but I'll probably still have it on the 24th. As people on the digital forum know I'm basically getting a lot of these new digitals and learning more with each one (I'm an engineer and figure it is an education).
Quote:
So per hour, which technology exactly is cheaper?
I didn't look at your numbers, but I would say that most of us conceded long ago that CRT wins in low prices for good image quality. Someone commented to me that this forum had changed from the one about the best image quality to the one about how to get things cheap. I wouldn't say the image quality thing is dead, but it sure does seem to be moving in the direction of this being the forum for people to save money to me and I don't see it slowing down at all (actually accelerating over the next couple of years).
Quote:
Originally posted by techman707
I'm just saying what Barco says and since they make BOTH digital and CRT, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Of course THEY qualified it by saying for Home Theatre.
Of course Barco wouldn't admit it if Sony beat them in home theater digitals. Why would they?
Quote:

Once you say home theatre, I make certain assumptions, like light control etc.
I make a reasonable assumption that there can be light control at times, but I really do have to wonder about those who like watching NFL HD football in the dark with a bunch of guys. :)

I've predicted in the past that some would try to hold back the evolution of home theater because they got in back when things were different and not as many choices were available. I would guess that the guy who created fire and cooked some meat with it got some flack from others who claimed that meat should be raw. In this case I would describe home theater in 1998 as pretty much DVDs, but in 2004 as some set from films on DVD, films in HD, Discovery-HD, HDNet (Bikini Destinations, etc.), HD shows shot on video, the Academy Awards in HD, HD baseball, HD football (both college and pro), a big SuperBowl party with the game on in HD, IMAX movies in HD (both WM9 and MPEG2), Playboy-HD for those so inclined (:)), etc. Now each person can pick their set from those, but anybody who says it is limited to films for everybody is living in the past, IMO. Those who just use their theaters for 99+% films, but aren't naive enough to say that others aren't entitled to include other things in the HT experience just have some different preferences than I do and that is all good. Just different strokes for different folks.

I watch pretty much all of the above at different times and to me image quality is across all of them, not just from one or two. For those who only care about one or two categories, they should make their choices appropriately, but that sure doesn't limit the rest of us from using a definition of Home Theater that includes everything we watch in our home theaters.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #93 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm out camping that weekend, so that won't work I'm afraid.

You've nailed it Darin, withthe economy being what it is, and quite frankly the technology and mentality out there, it's all about doin git cheaply (the Sharp 12K and the Qualia being the exception!)

I've stated it before, go back 25 years ago, and spend $500.00 on a 35mm camera body, and you'd expect it to last 40 years. Spend the same now on a digital and it's 5-7 years.

I've seen enough low end digital sets to know that they simply do not look good enough for me to watch, yet they're being sold by the bucketful.

As I said at the last shootout, there's few people that can afford to spend >$8K + on a high end digital projector, thus the popularity of CRT, and the people that spend the time to research all formats available also tend to swing towards a refurb or used CRT (as do those of us with no budget that want the BIG PICTURE..;))

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #94 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:39 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
I base my opinion...
My opinion is that you and Curt are so biased that you continually present pure supposition as fact. You might as well pretend you know exactly how the dinosaur's became extinct. You continually state that CRT is more reliable than digital but:

1. It's silly to even use the word "digital" as if "digital" is one technology. You might as well claim Ford is faster than GM. Digital can be LCD, LCOS or DMD. Digital can be a 3lb. ultra-portable or a 300 lb. cinema PJ.

2. "Digital" hasn't even been around long enough to measure its long term reliability. Making statements like "show me a digital with 50,000 hours on it" is pretty silly if you know most digitals haven't even been on the market long enough to rack up those types of hours.

3. Many posts keep confusing the issue of bulbs replacement and upgradeitis (that's a word I just invented) with reliability. The fact that digital has progressed rapidly has NOTHING to do with reliability. I'll bet there aren't too many people in the forum using 10 year old computers (well, at least not in tyhe digital forum). That doesn't mean they were unreliable. It means I canned that 100 Mhz PC cause I could get a 500 Mhz one and then canned that one for a 2 Ghz one and so on. Doesn't mean the 100 Mhz one was unreliable.

4. Digital reliability has also likely improved over the last several years just as every new technology does. So it's very difficult to know how the current crop of digital PJ's compare to CRT PJ's.

5. On this side of the fence, a bizarre twist of logic is often used to criticize the fast rate at which digital is improving and turn it into a negative. It's a positive in my book. The only people that see it as a negative are fence sitters that are always worried about, God forbid, spending their money on something that going to continue to improve. I could care less if the PC I buy today is going to be slow next year. I'd rather have that than see PC's stop progressing. Digital PJ's ARE going to keep getting better for several years. That's not a negative and it not a weakness. It's GREAT!

Wouldn't all you guys love to see a new breakthrough in CRT that allowed it to make a leap in advancement and remain a viable commercial technology? I would!
post #95 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:42 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

And to follow up, I don't have a clue whether CRT is more reliable than "digital" or "digital" is more reliable than CRT. I doubt anyone here does. You'd need some serious data to prove one or the other. Unless someone can provide real data, it's pure supposition based on one persons limited experience, not to mention biases.
post #96 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Basically, for my HT, I watch 80% DVDs and the rest is HDTV. I would rather not wear out G70 tubes on run of the mill junk, that's why I have 2 smaller projectors (D50 & 4501+) in a couple of bedrooms for "regular" television watching. I agree with everything you say about material EXCEPT Football, I don't watch that stuff (maybe some baseball), so I don't have to worry about being "in the dark with guys" (although to each his own).

Now, getting back to "QQQ" (or is it 666), will somebody translate what he's saying for me?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #97 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Now, getting back to "QQQ" (or is it 666), will somebody translate what he's saying for me?
What type of translation would you like? AltaVista has a college level to grade school level translator that takes big words and makes them small. Let me know if it works.
post #98 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
upgradeitis (that's a word I just invented)
upgradeitis
AVS search
;)
post #99 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrikos
Darin,
That's a great price you're offering the 3-chipper for. Some guy will be lucky to have a new projector at a great price.
Good luck selling it.
BTW, objectively, how close is the 3-chip DLP to the Qualia in movie viewing pleasure. Note, this is a purely subjective answer, no numbers need apply.
They are in different rooms (one white and one dark). I would say that the Qualia is smoother (which is probably obvious) and I did some testing to try to figure out where it lost that advantage. I haven't done extensive testing, but at 2.0x the screen width the 3 chip DLP is smooth also. I actually have some feedback into SIM2 and I'm expecting them to make some changes to the calibrations that are available. I will be getting a color filter in the mail tomorrow or Friday and then trying to see how much CR I can get out of it with just that. Just like anything these things depend a lot on what you are looking for, but for me the Qualia is a better fit for my living room with white walls. I'm fortunate to be able to use it in the highest contrast mode because I use a High Power screen, but there was one guy who was looking for something for a 12' wide Firehawk and I think in that case the extra lumens of the 3 chip DLP at higher CR would be nice.

My Mosquito went out and I'm waiting for a replacement, so I haven't been able to do much testing with that on the 3 chip DLP and none on the Qualia. Also, since I was setting up for the Mosquito I pretty much just calibrated the HT500 for the component input. Somebody else sent me email today and said that they switched from component to an HDMI player with their SIM2 HT500 and the improvement was pretty big. So, I'll need to do more testing there also.

After getting these I really haven't had a ton of time to watch movies, so I will have to get back on some of this. However, I have been very impressed with the Qualia so far. Shadow detail is very important to me and this is one thing I think it does very well.

Honestly, other than on/off CR I can't think of anything big lacking in the Qualia (okay I want native 1080p input and would like it to be lighter) and I wouldn't put the on/off CR in the bad category. If one of those got to 8000:1 on/off CR I'm not really sure what people here would trash other than price. I used to think that it was going to take 1080p DLP to dethrone CRT on the image quality issue, but I don't think that anymore. I may get killed for saying this, but if a person defines home theater as what I did above, I think we may already be there and this is only the first of the 1080p LCOS machines. I need to do more testing, though.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #100 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
What type of translation would you like? AltaVista has a college level to grade school level translator that takes big words and makes them small. Let me know if it works.
Well, seeing you're doing all the talking, it would be 1st grade converted to college level. Also, try to be a little more coherent. I know it can be hard with a limited vocab....but try.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #101 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 04:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
I can't think of anything big lacking in the Qualia... I'm not really sure what people here would trash other than price
I agree. I'd love to own a Qualia if it didn't cost 20x more than I spent for all 9 of my CRTs (27 tubes with no visible wear).

Even a single replacement bulb costs 2x more than all 9 of those PJs (M8000, 1271, 4 ECPs, 2 1031s, AmPro).
post #102 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well, seeing you're doing all the talking, it would be 1st grade converted to college level. Also, try to be a little more coherent. I know it can be hard with a limited vocab....but try.
Could you please provide some examples and make sure to include a critique?
post #103 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lol. These threads are wonderful and amusing, as long as you keep thick-skinned and don't get your panties in a bunch (if you're weaing panties).
Ok. This is why the thong is taking over from the grannies. Its like the digital taking over from the CRT.
You pay more and get less.
They get too close to the heat and therefore service life is shorter.
Bright colors are in. (and into everything)
They can sometimes be seen hanging from the ceiling in the local watering hole.
The next pair WILL be even smaller than the last.
Its uncool for a young person to use CRT I mean wear grannies.

And no I'm not wearing panties. I'm just too fat, old and hairy.
And yes I use CRt exclusively.

Steve
post #104 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW: This might be as good a time as any for me to ask for some feedback. Well, maybe not if people are upset, but I really am interested in the results. This is only for those people who don't mind looking for little side effects of their chosen technology, though.

What I want to know is what you see when watching a particular scene one time at full speed (no pausing and single stepping) on a CRT. For those who have "Fight Club" there is a scene in there where Edward Norton gets a call from Helena Bonham Carter and then the next morning she comes downstairs and then leaves. Brad Pitt comes in and then Edward Norton replays what happened in his mind. Just before Brad Pitt picks up the phone the screen goes black and then there is a flash of white for just a split second (one frame). All I want to know is how big you think the flash of light is just watching regular. Okay, I know anybody who does this is going to go back and single step it to find out, but I'm curious what the results are the first time. This scene doesn't really matter and I don't think this has any relevance to the story, but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Darin

post #105 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marcorsyscom
I agree. I'd love to own a Qualia if it didn't cost 20x more than I spent for all 9 of my CRTs (27 tubes with no visible wear).

Even a single replacement bulb costs 2x more than all 9 of those PJs (M8000, 1271, 4 ECPs, 2 1031s, AmPro).
I agree. As I've said before, when digital matches top CRTs in image quality it won't be at the same price. That is just regular old supply and demand. For you I think the way you've gone is the right way and it sure seems like you have a blast with it. That is what really counts.

--Darin

post #106 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Darin
When is the knock out punch Qualia VS XGLC VS G-70 VS G-90 coming?
I'd love to see it.

Steve
post #107 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:12 PM

Liked: 14
Andrikos asked about the Qualia vs HT500, etc:

In my opinion, there is no other way to put it but to trash the 3-chipper in comparison. It is, IMO, not significanly better than the Sharp 11K (and 3x the price), and the Qualia is wholly and TOTALLY in another category all it's own. There was no comparison between the two. I was very harsh with darin's HT500, and the *only* negative in comparison that the Qualia had was the poorer blacks. However, as a CRT guy, I like that *total* black, and nitpicking about different amounts of gray instead is irrelevant compared with the magical CRT-like smoothness that the Qualia hits that is TOTALLY WAYYYYY closer to CRT than anything I've seen before. The DLPs are pathetic in comparison.

That the 3-chippers and the Qualia are at the same MSRP pretty much is telling. They are not even close to being in the same class of performance, IMO. I made a comment to Darin, essentially stating that at this point it's a tossup between a bigger screen with a Qualia, or a CRT for a bargain, but in terms of PQ, if the an easy thing to do... but....

That all being said, seeing my 8500 at home still is an incredible thing. I do prefer(however slightly) the CRT attributes over the sharp 11k or any DLP I've ever seen, including the HT500.
post #108 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Diamond Bar Calif USA 91765 / Seattle area WA 98512
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
My opinion is that you and Curt are so biased that you continually present pure supposition as fact. You might as well pretend you know exactly how the dinosaur's became extinct. You continually state that CRT is more reliable than digital but:
No this isnt true at all, I did the reference tables with the cinematographers sitting there for the NEC 3 chip with the DC mod so I know exactly what Im talking about. This was at two film schools of cinematographers that we all know here in LA

If I saw something better I would state it, we got it close but the on-off of the panel's took away from what they wanted for 'emotion' going into dark scenes. They create the footage and it was my job to deliver the reproduction of that.

What people use for reference is their choice and Im not going to change that, if you like it then no debate is needed, I look at what they are conveying to me, over and over and over again.

Reliability I have fact on and thats not debatable either. Flame on. Doug

I also have a theory on the demise of the dinosaurs but not based on fact so cant comment.
post #109 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Darin
When is the knock out punch Qualia VS XGLC VS G-70 VS G-90 coming?
I'd love to see it.

Steve
I'll bring a G70..........and YOU can bring the XGLC. No point in lugging a G90 because there is NO QUESTION who the winner will be (but I'm not telling you) Why don't you ask William Phelps about the G90/Qualia

Btw- I've already crated a G70 for the test and it already has Darin's address on it.

post #110 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
No this isnt true at all, I did the reference tables with the cinematographers sitting there for the NEC 3 chip with the DC mod so I know exactly what Im talking about. This was at two film schools of cinematographers that we all know here in LA

If I saw something better I would state it, we got it close but the on-off of the panel's took away from what they wanted for 'emotion' going into dark scenes. They create the footage and it was my job to deliver the reproduction of that.

What people use for reference is their choice and Im not going to change that, if you like it then no debate is needed, I look at what they are conveying to me, over and over and over again.
Not sure why you changed the subject from reliability to something I made no comment on whatsoever.
Quote:
Reliability I have fact on and thats not debatable either.
"Facts" such as? Could you present some of your facts?
post #111 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme

And James, your bulb/tube comparison is flawed.

$500.00 is a typical price for a CRT that will last 10K hours. It's almost always only the G and B tubes that need changing, the red tube lasts 20K hours +.

$300.00 us a typical price for a bulb that will last 1000-2000 hours.

So per hour, which technology exactly is cheaper?
Curt
I have to assume you mean $500 for a single tube. I have been looking for a CRT projector for a while, and I would have one if I could find one for $500... I've done some research in the recent past when I considered a CRT with baked tubes and found that new tubes were something more like $1200 each. VDC rebuilds (which seem to have problems) are around $700. Maybe prices have changed, but I don't think by much. You may be referring to a used tube, with no guarantee. If so, I don't believe it is a fair comparison. I admit though that digital bulbs don't have great guarantees either.

I will assume the CRT needs 3 new tubes, and will even use your price of $500 each. 3 x $500 = $1500. $1500 / 10000 = $.15 per hour.

Now with the digital. Since I find 1000-2000 hours on the low end I will use 2000 hours bulb life. 1 x 300 = $300. $300 / 2000 = $.15 per hour.

Take a projector like my X1 with a 4000 hour bulb and the per hour cost drops to $.075 an hour.

Seems pretty even to me...

The thing is, someone like you with all the connections can find good prices, and parts when needed. How about a regular schmuck like me? I live in Toronto, the 4th largest city in North America. Do you think I can find a CRT projector at anywhere near the prices mentioned on this forum?

With my digital, worst comes to worst for the next 5 years I send it away to be repaired under warranty and prob have it back in a week or two. With a CRT I will have to troubleshoot it myself, hope I did it right, get parts sent to me and hope they work. Maybe if I'm lucky I will have a donor CRT. My point here is that my personal time has to be factored in to some degree. I like watching movies. Not working on the equipment that enables me to watch the movies.

I have nothing against CRTs. Heck I even want one. I am on your list. But what gets me is that some people don't want to concede on ANY point in the digital/CRT debate

Regards, James

p.s. Too bad about Bertuzzi eh? Vancouver had a good chance before the incident... At least you guys on the green coast have some good years to look forward to. Here the older Leafs team (to make a somewhat on topic analogy) are like a bunch of CRT projectors. They do a great job when they are in good shape, but once they breakdown they are out for a while!!!

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #112 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Diamond Bar Calif USA 91765 / Seattle area WA 98512
QQQ,
I cant post /disclose warranty narda information. A warranty narda is what is needed to complete the repair to submit for payment from the mfg's.

Other then saying we are a small group here I service the generial public also, military, education, medical, aerospace, Corp as well. Doug
post #113 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Techman
I no longer have the XGLC.
But if its OK with Darin I would love to attend. I could be the comic relief.
post #114 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 05:56 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Semisentient
I have nothing against CRTs. Heck I even want one. I am on your list. But what gets me is that some people don't want to concede on ANY point in the digital/CRT debate
James,

I recently checked pricing on re-tubing an AmPro 8" PJ. I believe the price for NEW tubes was around 2K each. I *think* that Dwin charges around around 2K to install three new tubes in their 7" CRT PJ (tubes included).
post #115 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'll bring a G70..........and YOU can bring the XGLC. No point in lugging a G90 because there is NO QUESTION who the winner will be (but I'm not telling you) Why don't you ask William Phelps about the G90/Qualia
No question, huh. Sorry, but William Phelps is one person and if he prefers the G90 that is fine and I would actually expect him to after getting used to one. And especially if he leans toward watching films and doesn't care about a big screen. I've said in the past that many CRT people here would not accept the absolute black levels on the Qualia and I stick by that.

Let me put it this way. When you get used to something and then somebody shows you something different it is usually difficult to give up the strengths you have gotten used to in trade for some new weaknesses. So, if somebody has had a G90 for 5 years and then was offered a Qualia in trade I think a lot of them would turn it down (ignoring that they could sell it for the sake of this). However, if the Qualia had been available 5 years ago and this same person had owned it that whole time and then was offered a G90 in trade, I think they would also be likely to turn it down. Why, because they would have gotten used to some things that the Qualia can do that the G90 can't. They probably would have even tuned their individual viewing habits somewhat around the strengths of their equipment.

Put a G90 and a Qualia in side-by-side rooms and let their fans choose whatever screen size they think will best show off their projector, run the gamut of material through both of them (including blackout scenes) after inviting 100 random people who are TV and movie fans (but not front projector owners) and I am pretty confident that I know which one would get the most votes. And it isn't the one that your "NO QUESTION" comment referred to. The only thing I could really see changing this is a Torus screen, but I haven't seen one of those matched with a G90.

BTW: We won't be doing this with my Qualia since nobody is going to bring a huge CRT over and it wouldn't make much sense to put a CRT on my 116" wide High Power.

Someday it would be great if I had a small digital that could do all the things the Qualia can that I could take around, but I don't right now.

--Darin

post #116 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
James,

I recently checked pricing on re-tubing an AmPro 8" PJ. I believe the price for NEW tubes was around 2K each. I *think* that Dwin charges around around 2K to install three new tubes in their 7" CRT PJ.
QQQ
You are a real Bargain hunter.
I'll install the tubes for a two four of Canadian eh.
post #117 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let me put it this way. When you get used to something and then somebody shows you something different it is usually difficult to give up the strengths you have gotten used to in trade for some new weaknesses. So, if somebody has had a G90 for 5 years and then was offered a Qualia in trade I think a lot of them would turn it down (ignoring that they could sell it for the sake of this). However, if the Qualia had been available 5 years ago and this same person had owned it that whole time and then was offered a G90 in trade, I think they would also be likely to turn it down. Why, because they would have gotten used to some things that the Qualia can do that the G90 can't. They probably would have even tuned their individual viewing habits somewhat around the strengths of their equipment.
Darin
Let me put it this way for you.
First so there is no misunderstanding from what I have seen I prefer CRT but....
There are some folks here whom would take CRT over anything else even if you proved the "anything else" was better beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Its just human nature and in some cases financial livelyhood.
BTW
Reverse the tables and the same holds true right QQQ.
post #118 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Q- you're out to lunch with your post on the 5th page.

My point exactly about digitals and reliability is that if you took any CRT by a decent manufacturer (no Ellie trouncing allowed) new out of the box and turned it on beside ANY digital new out of the box, allowing for bulb changes, the CRT would be running thousands of hours after the digital failed. (assuming a clean room, decent ambient temperature, etc).

I'be sold and serviced well over 2500 projectors at this point. Some were pure junk (Harman, one model Zenith, NEC GP-3000 now has p/s issues, but that's after about 14 years after being discontinued) I've installed 100's of video only Zenith and Sony 10XX series into nicotine filled sports bars, and retubed many 2-3 X without other failures. That's hardly limited exposure to sets. My radiation level proves it!..:)

As for the tube pricing, yes I was basically saying VDC pricing, non LC at $500.00 each. Mind you, NEC tubes were at about $600.00 USD, Zenith tubes are about $225.00 USD each new right now, and Sony tubes were about $600.00 new.

But your math is wrong. you don't need to change the red tube, it lasts 20K hours +.

Yes, brand new tubes from MEC and BArco are insane, no question. BUt so is the bulb for the Qualia..;)

Steve, brilliant analogy with the panties. When I send you the ACON, I'm sending a razor and a can of Nair for free so you can look less manly in that G string..:)

Curt

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #119 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Darin
Let me put it this way for you.
First so there is no misunderstanding from what I have seen I prefer CRT but....
There are some folks here whom would take CRT over anything else even if you proved the "anything else" was better beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Its just human nature and in some cases financial livelyhood.
BTW
Reverse the tables and the same holds true right QQQ.
I agree. There will always be some who will be this way and there are some on both sides.

--Darin

post #120 of 318 Old 07-14-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp2
No question, huh. Sorry, but William Phelps is one person and if he prefers the G90 that is fine and I would actually expect him to after getting used to one. And especially if he leans toward watching films and doesn't care about a big screen. I've said in the past that many CRT people here would not accept the absolute black levels on the Qualia and I stick by that.

Put a G90 and a Qualia in side-by-side rooms and let their fans choose whatever screen size they think will best show off their projector, run the gamut of material through both of them (including blackout scenes) after inviting 100 random people who are TV and movie fans (but not front projector owners) and I am confident that I know which one would get the most votes. And it isn't the one that your "NO QUESTION" comment referred to.

BTW: We won't be doing this with my Qualia since nobody is going to bring a huge CRT over and it wouldn't make much sense to put a CRT on my 116" wide High Power.

Someday it would be great if I had a small digital that could do all the things the Qualia can that I could take around, but I don't right now.

--Darin
I believe that William can be objective. He sayid he's been doing alot of digital setups.

What do you mean by: "I've said in the past that many CRT people here would not accept the absolute black levels on the Qualia and I stick by that."?

Bruce

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page