Improving by tweaking on Sony VPH-1252 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently tried out a Sony VPH-1252. To my untrained eye, there was no visible signs of significant tube wear, at least there were certainly no burns.

When it was setup (by the seller), I just thought the image looked a bit dull and lifeless (much more so than a subsequent VPH-1001 I tried, which was beautiful, but I find the scan lines annoying). My attempts to suprimpose an LCD feed onto it, looked promising at one stage - but too painful, but that's another story.

Anyway, this guy has come back with the 1252, this time, "tweaked" for brightness. The image looks quite good now (a lot brighter and vibrant) and when I asked him what he did with it, he said that he had increased the "screen voltage" to the tubes. I'm not sure what that means - just doesn't sound like the kind of thing one should be doing!!

Would be grateful for any advice on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi ahmedhaff,
it sounds like he adjusted the g2 pots - hopefully he used one of the advised methods and set them to factory values. The fact he knew he was adjusting the "screen voltage" implies he may be technically minded, otherwise the life of the tubes can be compromised. That's why the user manual, and the pots themselves have warnings not to adjust the G2.

You have a lot of information available to you in the archives of this forum, also, ask questions and they will be answered. Most people who buy CRT projectors eventually tweak the performance themselves by downloading service manuals and following methods outlined by other AVS members. You will even be able to reset the G2s yourself.

P.S. The simplest way to see if the tubes are burnt or worn is to shine a bright light in on them through the lenses, with the projector off. Look at the phosphour all the way to the edge of the tube. There should be very little change in darkness (ideally none).

I'm no genius, but I do have a million monkeys with typewriters in my head.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page