Marquee Menus and CRT Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello there,

I have been reading the archive for a while now, and I've got to say I've learnt more about projectors from this site that anywhere else including the service manuals!

I do have a few questions that I cant find answers too, perhaps someone can help.

I have a Marquee 8000 with an apparently dead green tube.

1. When I power up all works fine bar the green, I can get crosshatch patterns up and change contrast etc which shows up as a bar with numbers when I do.
However when I go into the menu system the display shows a square (mainly in the blue tube) framing the menu but there is no text.
Is this because the text is in green and without a green tube it wont show up? Or are the menu texts in white and I have some bizarre problem.

2. I do have a spare tube, although I'm not sure it works and it’s the wrong colour.
Is it safe to install the wrong colour tube in the green position so I can test the electrics and or the spare tube?
Will the wrong colour tube work as if it was green in so far as not damaging any other components etc, i.e. all except obviously it will project in the wrong colour?

3. The green tubes cathode does glow a healthy orange but there is no screen response at all, the HT (big red wire) is delivering voltage also. Could there be a neck board problem or can busted tubes still glow orange normally.

4. And finally with 1 tube non functional is running the projector likely to cause any damage?

Any Ideas gratefully received.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
1. Yes, most of the menus are in green. There are a few that bring up red and blue images so you can set up those colors or align the R&B grids on the green.

I'd switch a few components in the video chain before the tube... like switch the mini-RCA plugs in the middle of the VIM (Video Input Module... the board with the BNC inputs). Swap the mini-green with red or blue (wouldn't it be sweet if it was something simple like the green connector was just loose).

You could also easily swap the G neckboard with the R or B neckboard.

It'd be nice if it was as simple as needed to crank up the G2 values on the green, but that'd be hard to do blind... but you could probably do it over the phone with someone else with a M8000, following keystroke by keystroke into the service menu (sorry, my Marquees are down during HT construction).

2. I would think putting a R or B tube in place of the G would work (just for troubleshooting, not for viewing).

4. running without one of the tubes won't affect the other 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-04-2004, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Guys!

Push Color 1, for red only, menus will appear, also when you push color 3 or color 6. Do not install another color tube in place of green unless you lower Green Drive to 35-40, it is likely set much higher as is.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-05-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Wow,

Clarence, Tim, thanks for the speedy response guys.

Ill give your suggestions a go, it will be a lot easier now I’ve got a method of viewing those menus!
Seems a bit crazy to me to display a vital menu system in a primary colour, I would of thought white would be a better idea.
But then again I guess you need to read the menu before you have completed convergence, so green, having the highest output would be the obvious choice.

John
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page