Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 106 Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am basically without words at this point in time, up until recently I was using a fairly decent HTPC with my Barco Data 808s, I was using but not enjoying, I am so tired of messing around with a HTPC

P4 2.4 800 FSB HT
Radeon 9800 Pro
M-Audio Revo
512 Ram

Last week I decided to get into D-vhs, so I ordered a JVC 5u and Petr's Transcoder, a few weeks ago I had decided a was finally fed up with the HTPC so I ordered a Momitsu Deluxe from HKflix

I did some reading up on the unit and figured the best way to view was the direct RGBHV out from the DVI port, well when I received the unit yesterday I decided to first try the Component out(which has had a work over on the Deluxe Version) into Petr's transcoder
I fired the unit up and set it to output Component only at 1080i and I have never looked back

one word explains what I am seeing with this combo, "Amazing" truely wonderful image that is not to be believed until seen

I have never seen such details and wonderful colors from DVD in my life, perfect scaling with no added side effects like software scaling on a HTPC

guys I am without words here, I am so surprised by this little guy

I am so pleased that I have no plans on using the direct RGBHV out from this unit, I really fell the Component outs on the new Deluxe are a hidden gem and Petr's transcoder is icing on the cake

No more friggin messing with a HTPC, I am so tired of that I will never touch anyone pc in my theater for a very long time if ever again

and some additional benefits, I have a great sound system featuring separates from Sherwood Newcastle and ATI Amplifiers and a Atlantic Technology THX Ultra speaker setup

The thing I noticed after I couldn't get over the picture is how much better the sound is over my old HTPC, this is the only thing that scared me off of this unit before I decided to purchase it

DO NOT WORRY with sound quality, it is easy as pie to hear the difference between the M-Audio Revo and this wonderful DVD player

so much cleaner sounding

Now it's time to watch some flicks and not have to mess with my HTPC which has been parted out

If anyone has any ?'s on the Momitsu Deluxe or Petr's transcoder shoot them

bottom line, I have just told me family that this 260$ dvd player is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased for HT, and thats saying alot, I would pay twice the price or even triple for this unit

-Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 12-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you talking about the newer model for about $260?

And why not try the RGB outs just for a comparison? It seems like an easy test and would be interesting to learn what differences there might be. If the RGB outs are good, then many others could just get the player and still have it drive the CRT directly without the added expense of the Petr's device.
post #3 of 106 Old 12-17-2004, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I can try the rgbhv outs but that would put a wrench in my setup, I have switched to all component sources

Component out from: D-VHS, Momitsu, Dish Network HDTV PVR, X-box and routed thru switcher then output to Petr's transcoder then to the pj

All really simple connections with no headache

I am fairly certain that the momitsu has a internal converter to put out the RGBHV, I am willing to bet that the component out combined with Petr's transcoder is better

For example my Dish Network PVR has direct RGBHV out from the DVI port, just like the Momitsu, the component out with Petr's transcoder is marginally better

Yes Deluxe Momitsu from HKflix.com is at that price

-Gary
post #4 of 106 Old 12-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you have the link for the transcoder you're using?

Star-

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

post #5 of 106 Old 12-17-2004, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sure it's Petr from the board, his website is:

http://www.hdconnection.com/Products.htm

you don't need the website really, search for a big thread here a few months back

send him a email at: pjirovec@sympatico.ca

I purchased the standard model HDC1 and use a extron 109+ on the output

He shipped monday and I had it early thursday morning from UPS

Top notch guy and products, not to mention service

-Gary
post #6 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 03:21 AM

Quote:
I am fairly certain that the momitsu has a internal converter to put out the RGBHV, I am willing to bet that the component out combined with Petr's transcoder is better
The Momitsu has a triple output RAMDAC that outputs directly in RGB or component depending on the selected output. There is no internal converter from component to RGB, the software in the sigma designs processor is simply set to provide the desired output.

For a fair comparison you should try a 5BNC modified Momitsu, the onboard RGB filters are removed and the RAMDAC output is run directly to 75 ohm BNC connectors. This is the cleanest possible Momitsu output and looks MUCH beter than the RGBHV output taken from the DVI port.

Aaron

Avical Australia
HAA and ISF Calibrator
www.avicalaustralia.com.au
post #7 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 06:04 AM

Has anyone documented just the 5 BNC mod to the Momitsu? I know bblue documented the MP mod on a Momitsu a while back, and did quite an impressive job I must say. I am interested in where to pick up the signals and how to remove the filters. Thanks.

Gabe
post #8 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to read Gary, seeing as I just ordered an 880 Delux.

I'd like to do the 5BNC mod, so I second Gaber's request...

James

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
post #9 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Why get into D vhs? I can't see that being around much longer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Murrell
I am basically without words at this point in time, up until recently I was using a fairly decent HTPC with my Barco Data 808s, I was using but not enjoying, I am so tired of messing around with a HTPC

P4 2.4 800 FSB HT
Radeon 9800 Pro
M-Audio Revo
512 Ram

Last week I decided to get into D-vhs, so I ordered a JVC 5u and Petr's Transcoder, a few weeks ago I had decided a was finally fed up with the HTPC so I ordered a Momitsu Deluxe from HKflix

I did some reading up on the unit and figured the best way to view was the direct RGBHV out from the DVI port, well when I received the unit yesterday I decided to first try the Component out(which has had a work over on the Deluxe Version) into Petr's transcoder
I fired the unit up and set it to output Component only at 1080i and I have never looked back

one word explains what I am seeing with this combo, "Amazing" truely wonderful image that is not to be believed until seen

I have never seen such details and wonderful colors from DVD in my life, perfect scaling with no added side effects like software scaling on a HTPC

guys I am without words here, I am so surprised by this little guy

I am so pleased that I have no plans on using the direct RGBHV out from this unit, I really fell the Component outs on the new Deluxe are a hidden gem and Petr's transcoder is icing on the cake

No more friggin messing with a HTPC, I am so tired of that I will never touch anyone pc in my theater for a very long time if ever again

and some additional benefits, I have a great sound system featuring separates from Sherwood Newcastle and ATI Amplifiers and a Atlantic Technology THX Ultra speaker setup

The thing I noticed after I couldn't get over the picture is how much better the sound is over my old HTPC, this is the only thing that scared me off of this unit before I decided to purchase it

DO NOT WORRY with sound quality, it is easy as pie to hear the difference between the M-Audio Revo and this wonderful DVD player

so much cleaner sounding

Now it's time to watch some flicks and not have to mess with my HTPC which has been parted out

If anyone has any ?'s on the Momitsu Deluxe or Petr's transcoder shoot them

bottom line, I have just told me family that this 260$ dvd player is the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased for HT, and thats saying alot, I would pay twice the price or even triple for this unit

-Gary

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #10 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by raster
Why get into D vhs? I can't see that being around much longer
You've mentioned several times still watching your standard VCR video cassettes.

D-VHS provides an expandable, lossless HiDef recording format with affordable media. I prefer the hard drive approach, but HD takes up so much space that any HTPC hard drive or HD Tivo is too rapidly filled to capacity.

The selection of commercially pre-recorded DVHS cassettes will never catch up with DVDs or HD-DVDs, but for recording your own HD cable, HD satellite, or HD OTA content, DVHS will remain viable for several years.
post #11 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't ask what d vhs is GARY- tapes will eventually fade away, just wondering why he's getting into it now with all the hd drives coming out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence
You've mentioned several times still watching your standard VCR video cassettes.

D-VHS provides an expandable, lossless HiDef recording format with affordable media. I prefer the hard drive approach, but HD takes up so much space that any HTPC hard drive or HD Tivo is too rapidly filled to capacity.

The selection of commercially pre-recorded DVHS cassettes will never catch up with DVDs or HD-DVDs, but for recording your own HD cable, HD satellite, or HD OTA content, DVHS will remain viable for several years.

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #12 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's a good question. I skipped DVHS initially because, well, I never really liked the magnetic tape format and the price was scary. Now the price is more affordable and with an HD sat receiver, you can record HD.

HD-DVD is too close for me to consider starting to collect the pre-recorded media, but recording would be nice.

Cary
post #13 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I didn't ask what d vhs is GARY- tapes will eventually fade away, just wondering why he's getting into it now with all the hd drives coming out.

Fade away? I have well over 500 VHS tapes that are between 25-20 years old that have not faded at all. So sorry, tape can really last a long time.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #14 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

So the picture on the new Momitsu is great? How is the transport quality? Is it picky about DVD's, or is it slow or stuttery on any movies? Reliability is one of my biggest concerns for a player. Nobody would want to be showing a movie and have it get disrupted by a glitch in the player :)

How would the Momitsu compare to the RP91/iScan Ultra?
post #15 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Picture quality is debatable- Depends on your setup- Some see a big difference, Others don't. I wasn't wowed by it, but you could be? I run it at 1080I rgb to my 1272 Sony.
Reliability is not one of the Momitsu's strengths. When it works it has a nice picture. But you get what you pay for in terms reliability. It's built cheap- But priced cheap for the features it has
The loader problem is fixed on new models.
I'm on my second momitsu, so far so good. No stuttering or lockups. First one quit working after several dvd's were played. They sent a new one instead of repairing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxxarcade
So the picture on the new Momitsu is great? How is the transport quality? Is it picky about DVD's, or is it slow or stuttery on any movies? Reliability is one of my biggest concerns for a player. Nobody would want to be showing a movie and have it get disrupted by a glitch in the player :)

How would the Momitsu compare to the RP91/iScan Ultra?

post #16 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

has anyone done a comparison with a momitsu and the panny S97?.........

behind every successful man is a suprised mother-inlaw......
post #17 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 12:22 PM

Gary,

I am interested to know if you have seen a Momitsu( regular or Deluxe) with RGBHV out.Your feedback has too many variables to compare against a set-up which most of us use ie VGA out from the Momi.
The new variables are :

1.Improved component out from Momitsu Deluxe
2.Petr's transcoder: is it the 1v output version or 0.7v
3.Extron 109+

In my opinion most of us use the Momitsu only for the VGA out.It is my understanding(hearing from the DVD forums) that there are better component out players than the Momitsu)

It would be great if you can do a DOE(Design of Experiments) with your various components and post the results :D

Good to know that the audio was better than you HTPC

Questions to Raster:

do you know any method of archiving HD programming(non-ota) other than using D-VHS tapes.
or a way to dump files from the Moto/SA dvrs to your Harddisk
what is "hd drives"

thanks
post #18 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by navinoo
do you know any method of archiving HD programming(non-ota) other than using D-VHS tapes.
thanks
Networked HD-Tivo to Media Server.
post #19 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, c'mon Azzad you promised to document the V880 mod months ago :D

If anyone has problems with their momitsu loader (i.e. the dvd drive part) I found you can drop just about ANY DVD-ROM drive in there. It's not picky.

Just put a PC DVD-ROM drive (about US$25) into your PC, and play a dvd movie from your region to set the region code on the drive (or flash its bios with a region free version).

Then pop it into the momitsu.
Voila! You have a player that reads absolutely any disk thrown at it, fast load/chapter skip times etc.

I think everyone here would be grateful if you owuld try the RGB vs Component, as many would LOVE to know if there was any discernable difference...

DON'T feed the troll.
post #20 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Picture quality is debatable- Depends on your setup- Some see a big difference, Others don't. I wasn't wowed by it, but you could be? I run it at 1080I rgb to my 1272 Sony.
Is 1080i @60 still in the sweet spot range for a 1272? I know 720P is beyond the capabilities of the projector but if 1080i is in range, then is the lack of wow coming from the Momitsu or maybe driving the 1272 beyond its sweet spot?
post #21 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Networked HD-Tivo to Media Server.
Steve:

Is is possible to archive 5c flagged HD programming also?I forgot about 169time.I guess my question should have been "do you know any method of economically archiving HD programming(non-ota) other than using D-VHS tapes"
post #22 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Fade away=Obsolete ---- Not saying the tapes won't perform, just saying the vhs format is old technology being replaced with dvd & HD dvd recorders & players..

Quote:
Originally posted by NIN74
Fade away? I have well over 500 VHS tapes that are between 25-20 years old that have not faded at all. So sorry, tape can really last a long time.

post #23 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the thread hijack....

I'm not that familiar with 5c so I don't really know the answer to that. What I'm doing is using the USB 2.0 ports on the HD-Tivo to connect a USB to fast ethernet adapter. So the Tivo is on my network running an FTP server. I can connect to it with an FTP client and transfer HD recorded files. There's a utility called TyTool that processes the files to VOB or .TS format which I play back using MyHD or Theatertek.

Economical? Are you referring to the hardware or media costs? The Tivo is expensive but the price has been coming down and Directv has been offering some customers considerable programming credits.

I've been averaging ~$130 for 250GB drives. That's not too bad. I also have a JVC 30k DVHS recorder and have been wanting to do some firewire recording with. The DVHS blank tapes are very expensive though. Are you using those or SVHS tapes?

Steve
post #24 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what the agreed upon sweetspot is for a 1272, But 1080I using my Dish net 6000 receiver throws an incredible looking picture.

Quote:
Originally posted by windtrader
Is 1080i @60 still in the sweet spot range for a 1272? I know 720P is beyond the capabilities of the projector but if 1080i is in range, then is the lack of wow coming from the Momitsu or maybe driving the 1272 beyond its sweet spot?

post #25 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fade away=Obsolete ---- Not saying the tapes won't perform, just saying the vhs format is old technology being replaced with dvd & HD dvd recorders & players..
Agreed, but HD-DVD won't be soon enough for some of us. I recently bought a used DVHS recorder and now have a few D-Theater tapes. It's definitely a dying niche format but I have no regrets. Titles like Alien and U-571 on D-Theater look incredible.

Steve
post #26 of 106 Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Gary,

thanks for the report. Sounds impressive. I really think you ought to take a moment though to at least give RGB a test... not suggesting you re-configure your whole system, since you've got everything simple and convenient. But a quick re-connect would be worth a try just to see, and provide others here some useful information.

Also, to be fair, you should point out that the cost of the transcoder is more than that of the Momitsu. (But that the cost of the combo is possibly less than the troublesome HTPC it replaced.)

raster inquired:
> Why get into D vhs? I can't see that being around much longer <

Well, then you're pretty short-sighted. The why is simple: ability to record full-bandwidth HiDef at up to 28 MBit/sec, for costs ~$2/hour. Even from 5c sources that flag it as "one copy only", which can't be done to a PC.

How would you do it? Now... not in a year or two?

raster commented:
> just saying the vhs format is old technology being replaced with dvd... <

Huh? :confused: What do VHS or DVD have to do with HiDef? FYI... D-VHS =/= VHS. And D-VHS is not "old".

> is ... being replaced with ... HD dvd recorders & players.. <

Really? Where? Who do you know that has an HD-DVD recorder? "Is being" is a whole lot different than "will be in a year or two (or three)". It wouldn't surprise me if media costs kept optical media non-competitive (with D-VHS for economical recording) for a good long while. (Blank Blue-ray discs currently cost $60.)

Will D-VHS still be around and strong as long after its introduction as VHS has proven to be? I hope not! I hope that viable and economical optical media options become available, the sooner the better, and aren't constrained by inability to record what people want, and watch it when they want. Even if it's months later. But that day isn't here yet, and for you to imply that it is (and therefore lob rocks at D-VHS) is pretty ridiculous.

- Tim

- Tim
post #27 of 106 Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

sum bitch, I have been working on my setup for the past 2 days and haven't had time to check my post, I have been busy putting Bjorn adapters and a set of hd-144 lenses on my Barco Data 808s

unimaginable colors, huge reduction of halo's and more sharpness are now featured on my Data 808s :D

Most of you guys want me to check out the DVI-VGA out on the momitsu deluxe I would be glad to do this but I can't get a picture out of the DVI port, my projector is seeing the sync but no pix, i have component turned off in the setup and DVI port turned on to 1080i

I have macrovision disabled but I am using dvd-r's of my dvd collection anyway, so no macrovision

Petr's transcoder is great, other than the fact that it is messing with color saturation of the red and green channels

Avia color decoder check shows

-20% for red
-10% for green
0%/normal for blue

if I bump up the momitsu saturation to correct for the green and red the best I get is

-10% red
0% normal green
+15% blue

momitsu needs to add saturation and tint controls, for each green blue and red than we would be in business

I have since removed the extron box from my chain and I think my pix got a little better

I have also just completed modding my momitsu with the extra capacitor, a shielded IDE cable, twisting and placement of power wires and removed headphone port

A slight increase in clarity was seen after the mods

also in response to the loader, it is perfect, i haven't had so much as one problem expect when I placed a really dirty disc in it

as I am sure many of you have, I have been checking out lots of fifth element scenes, I am simply amazed at the sound quality difference between the momitsu and my old M-audio Revo

there is more of i difference in the sound than picture, this thing sounds better than a pioneer eleite dvd player i had 2 years ago or so, I am using the coaxial out

Oh yeah I must add that the 1080i output on this player is much better than any other rez, I have big o hoking scan lines from about 10 feet back but I sit 16" away from my 106" screen so the scan lines are not visible

now to get figure out how to get the RGBHV out working

-Gary
post #28 of 106 Old 12-19-2004, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks for the update Gary. Odd that the sound would be different (better). Were you using the digital output of the Revo as well?

Cary
post #29 of 106 Old 12-19-2004, 05:57 AM

Gary,

With Clarence's momitsu and my BG 808 I used Port five but only four cables (RGBH). Not sure if you tried that combo yet. It would not work with any other setting we found. A custom res would let you set negative sync (although I believe that the 's' might not need it) and sync on green....

Pete
post #30 of 106 Old 12-19-2004, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

yes I used the revo coaxial out as well, I am very surprised, but I am not kidding it is night and day difference, I also never touched or changed anything on my sound system

guys I cannot get a signal out of the DVI port, it won't let me select tv ouput as RGB which I am guessing is what i need, it is greyed out

I can turn both the componet out and DVI out off and scroll thru with the video button on the remote, a signal comes out of the DVI port and shows the video setting menu only( DVI port is still set to off)

pete that is exactly what i am trying as we speak, but I can't get the rgbhv signal out of the DVI port

-Gary
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page