HD144 lens on any machine that uses HD8's..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ya'll probably know of the advantages of using the HD144 or 145 color corrected/color filtered lens on the Barco 808 projectors from some of the work that was pionieered on this forum a few months ago. A nice design was come up with for the Barco 808S that allowed you to attach the HD144 lens's. The only problem with the design we could see was that you lost the schiemflug control. Other than that the idea of using these lenses had a LOT of merrit because it allowed the colors to be corrected to their proper primaries.
Yes, work was done in adding tint to the glycol and roscoe filters to these machines but both of these methods had disadvantages to the use of the Hd144 or HD145 lens system. After all, the NEC XG1350 is considered to have some of the best colors in the industry and the main reason is the Hd144 lens assy.

Well, a friend of mine followed that thread carefully and was determined he could build a better mouse trap. He just didn't want to loose the Scheimflug adjustment. He came to me and "borrowed" (although I doubt I'll ever see them again,,,,lol) a set of HD144's a few weeks ago. Yesterday, I got to see his handy work and must say that I am very impressed with his design. Not only did he get the HD144's on on his BG808S projector, BUT the schiemflug adjustment is still completely operational AND here is the best part, the design he came up with can be used on ANY projector that uses HD8 lens's. So now any Barco, Marquee, Ampro and other PJ owners could have the advantages of having a higher quality color corrected/color filtered optic system on their CRT as this design isn't limited to the BG808.

He doesn't post at all but does read the forum a bit. I told him yesterday that I would start this thread for him to let ya'll know what he has accomplished. At this point I don't know if he intends to make his design available or is going to sell the parts as a kit to those interested. I guess a lot has to do if there is any interest in this sort of thing.

Quite impressive indeed.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 AM

Count me as one who would be interested for my 808.

I honestly don't know how anyone could live with
a 7" screen in their minivan.
post #3 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 07:44 AM

Sounds cool, i presume these adapters are some sort of plate that screws into the exisiting mounts and the the hd144 / 145's screw into the plate?

If I can source some lenses here in the UK i'd be interested in a set for my BG808s.
post #4 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Interested! I've got a 1208s/2 and the HD144s, and I'm set to go. - Pat
post #5 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pat, save your lens's. What is nice about his design is that it can be installed by anyone with common tools.
Javers, yes the existing lens holds and screws are used.

Terry

post #6 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Terry -

You've seen me around a hammer and a saw. Do you really have confidence in my abilities? - Pat
post #7 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

1208/2 -- interested.
post #8 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep I would be interested do though the throw distance is still different correct? That is the only thing that would slow me down. I hate the idea of remouting my projector.....
post #9 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd take that one step further.

If I had just ONE HD-144 or 145 lens base, I could easily design and fabricate
a prototype mounting plate for Marquees that will replace the existing HD-8 mounting plate, and preserve Scheimpflug functionality.

I don't say I'd PRODUCE them in quantities for others, because my milling
machine is a manual one and it'd be too time consuming for me to scratch
build them. but I could provide interested parties with all the necessary data that would allow them to have any local machine shop cut out a set.

Another possibility would be to simply modify the existing lens mounting plate so that either HD-s or 144/145s could be mounted on the same plate.

If anyone would be interested in helping me with this simple project and has
at least a mounting flange assembly for a 144 or 145 that they would loan me for evaluation, it'd be good.

CJ
post #10 of 203 Old 01-18-2005, 07:38 PM
gn2
AVS Special Member

I'd be interested in a kit to convert my Marquee, I'm so sick of the orange reds...

And CJ, if you want a mount plate for an HD144/145 lens, just email me, I've got some mount plates for an NEC just lying around, you are welcome to one.
post #11 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CJ,
I'd say that if you did some research on what has been done in this area you would find that "fabricating a prototype mounting plate that will replace the existing HD-8 plate, and preserve Scheimpflug functionality" is not as easy as you might think. Again, I suggest you go back and read what is already done and you will understand the problems.
This solution is much more elegant than anything suggested to date.
If you want to see what the mounting distances are, go back and read Bjorne 's thread as I am told he was righ on with his calculations.

Pat, yes you could put these on without difficulty because they DON'T require a hamer or saw......lol

Terry

post #12 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd need to see at least a mounting plate for a 144, and one may be on the way to me to take a look at.

At least a picture of an installed 144 on its plate would be helpful, too.

I envision a semi-universal mounting plate, with hole patterns drilled and
tapped for more than one lens type, but until I actually see some of the 144
hardware, I can't be sure it'll work.

Maybe it'll work, maybe not. I'm willing to find out.

CJ
post #13 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 12:07 PM

Having just installed Bjorn's lens adapter this past weekend, I am somewhat surprised an adapter could be made to work between the factory plate and the HD144 lens. I anxious to hear how this turns out. I can comment on the end results. This is the best my PJ has ever looked. The colors are much improved. I watched CSI Miami on Monday nights and it was indeed impressive. I also want to mention the mounting distance issue. Before the change my PJ was a full 9 inches closer than the LENS program recommended. After the change, I am still happy with the raster coverage. Down the road I might go to a bigger screen (currently 96 inches wide) but for now I am a happy camper. Good luck with all of this!
post #14 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Can someone provide me with a clear picture of the mounting side of a 144?

It will help me to understand the presumed difficulty.

CJ
post #15 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cmjohnson
Can someone provide me with a clear picture of the mounting side of a 144?

It will help me to understand the presumed difficulty.

CJ

All the pictures you need is on my Web Page , but this was the first i tried to and it's not possible without modifying the the HD-144 lenses to.

The HD-144 lens brackets are wider than the original adapter that the HD-8 lens slides in to so there is no way you'll get it close enough to the tube face without removing the original adapter.

Bjørn

HTTech
post #16 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bjorne,
My hat goes off to you and the work you did on your adapter plates to mount the HD144/145 lens assy to the Barco. Your measurement coincide exactly with what my friend did.
He to is a very exacting machinist who has full machining capabilities in his home/shop. What I first pointed out your thread to him, he was impressed but convinced that there was another way to do this that would allow for the scheimflug adjustment to remain functional on his Barco 808S. He got some lens's from me and told me to come by and see what he did. I tried to imagine it but just couldn't see where he was going.
He now has all three lens's mounted with his prototypes and they seem to function beautifully. I am having him build a set for me for a BG808S with new MEC tubes that I am going to sell. We also put a set of ew MEC tubes in his and hung it today. Is going to be quite a PJ when completed.
What I like about his design is that is can be used on any CRT that uses HD8 lens's and is easy to install. That would include the BG801, 800, Marquee 8000, 8500 series as well as all the Barco 808series.
I will let him come in and describe his design if he wants to devilge that.
He did tell me today that if there were at least 10 folks interested in this he would go to a fab shop and have them turn out the units. I don't know what his pricing will be but I would guess somewhere around what Bjorn's adapters were.
email me at terfer@comcast.net if interested and I will pass it on to him.

Terry

post #17 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Chuchuf
Bjorne,
My hat goes off to you and the work you did on your adapter plates to mount the HD144/145 lens assy to the Barco. Your measurement coincide exactly with what my friend did.
He to is a very exacting machinist who has full machining capabilities in his home/shop. What I first pointed out your thread to him, he was impressed but convinced that there was another way to do this that would allow for the scheimflug adjustment to remain functional on his Barco 808S. He got some lens's from me and told me to come by and see what he did. I tried to imagine it but just couldn't see where he was going.
He now has all three lens's mounted with his prototypes and they seem to function beautifully. I am having him build a set for me for a BG808S with new MEC tubes that I am going to sell. We also put a set of ew MEC tubes in his and hung it today. Is going to be quite a PJ when completed.
What I like about his design is that is can be used on any CRT that uses HD8 lens's and is easy to install. That would include the BG801, 800, Marquee 8000, 8500 series as well as all the Barco 808series.
I will let him come in and describe his design if he wants to devilge that.
He did tell me today that if there were at least 10 folks interested in this he would go to a fab shop and have them turn out the units. I don't know what his pricing will be but I would guess somewhere around what Bjorn's adapters were.
email me at terfer@comcast.net if interested and I will pass it on to him.

Terry

Terry

I did this project for everyone and i found out that if i made it with scheimpflug it would be much more expensive and not interesting for most guys.
Here in Norway everything is expensive and machining the adapters with scheimpflug would be around $900.00 USD and plus freight and bolt sets it would just be to expensive.
So i got a deal with a friend making them without the scheimpflug for much less, and leaving some work to me to so i could keep the price low.
I priced them very low and didn't make make a lot of money on them.

If i had one 808s myself that i where using and not the 1209s maybe i had gone further with sheimpflug and everything.

All the 808s i have mounted with HD-144 lenses has perfect sharpness all over the picture and do not need the scheimpflug, they are all mounted perfect with 2 meter wide screens and that seems to be the default on the 808s.

I think it's nice that someone takes it further, this is really an big upgrade for the 808s and will be on others to that uses HD-8 lenses.
Just hope someone can find more HD-144 lenses because that have been a big problem lately, i wonder why

Bjørn

HTTech
post #18 of 203 Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bjorn,
Like I said, our complements to you and all the pioneering work you have done here. I gave up on Roscoe filter paper after doing one because of the loss of focus and although I liked the idea of colored glycol, I wasn't convinced that was the correct approach either. This just took it to another level that you may have already thought about.
It's a different approach that should not drive the cost up from what you did. I'm sure looking at your adapters there wasn't much left at the end for you.
But like you said, it's the idea of getting read red and true green primaries like the NEC XG's that makes this a worthwhile project. That was really what we were all about on this. Improving on the Barco and Marquee CRT's to put their colors in the class of an NEC.

Terry

post #19 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 AM

If any of you are interested - I have a minty set of hd-144 lenses for sale!

Greeting from Denmark
Henrik
post #20 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 08:24 AM
gn2
AVS Special Member

Only problem with that is shipping to NA would cost more than the lenses are worth....
post #21 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If anyone does locate a hord of these lens's let me know. I need a few sets.

Terry

post #22 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 08:59 AM

1208/2

would be interested but I am thinking 144s are hard to come by. What is general availability and a reasonable ballpark cost for these?

Rod
post #23 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 09:01 AM

gn2

If you send by air - yes. But if you send it surface it is not that expensive. I know - I bought my HD144 in LA - USA and had them sent... And I am from Denmark..

Koldby

What is a home theater without good sound??
post #24 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, there are some sets on ebay right now.

Go to the tacked topic "Hi-Rez projections is cleaning their warehouse!"
at the top of the CRT forum and follow the links.

A couple of sets are up right now.

CJ
post #25 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
any idea how this modification would affect throw distance, terry?
post #26 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 10:56 AM

About a foot shorter.
post #27 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cmjohnson
FYI, there are some sets on ebay right now.

Go to the tacked topic "Hi-Rez projections is cleaning their warehouse!"
at the top of the CRT forum and follow the links.

A couple of sets are up right now.

CJ

I might be missing them, but all the ones that I saw from that seller were HD145 color CORRECTED NOT color FILTERED.
post #28 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

post #29 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
out of curiousity, what is the difference between 145n's and 144's. from the reading i've done i think they are both colour corrected AND colour filtered. so where is the diff's???
post #30 of 203 Old 01-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Only thing i know of is the difference in throw rate and the 5 instead of 4

Bjørn

HTTech
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version